The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
sidrah
I've still got to change it from hand written to typed up version.

I'm looking forward to them. I love your Topic 7 notes!!! It's up on my walls :smile:
Reply 381
Doughboy
I'm looking forward to them. I love your Topic 7 notes!!! It's up on my walls :smile:

send us a copy please :awesome:
Reply 382
redraindrop
hey guys, i have these exam questions for any of you who want to practice:woo:

cheers for these, they're fantastic! +rep!
Reply 383
sidrah
I'm finding it so hard to commit the topic 8 stuff to memory :/
The brain regions on the spec only relate it to the ability to see, think, feel emotions and learn, and you'd think that you had to associate one with each lobe, but I'm at a loss as to which is which. Obviously occipital is too see, but couldn't frontal cover all the rest?
Help appreciated.

I'm not sure whether by brain regions you mean regions of the cerebral hemispheres or regions of the brain in general. I'll list what i got anyway:

Hypothalamus: Responsible for monitoring physiological states such as hunger, thirst and temperature.

Thalamus: Part of the brain that acts as a relay for sensory information, passing it onto the appropriate areas of the brain.

Medulla Oblongata: Controls body processes subconsciously such as heart rate, blood pressure and breathing.

Cerebellum: Responsible for posture and balance, also coordinates movement as it's being carried out.

Cerebral Hemisphere: Forebrain is divided into right and left cerebral hemishpheres. These consist of four lobes: frontal, parietal, temporal and occipital. Hemispheres are linked by a band of nerve cell axons called the corpus callosum.

Parietal: Orientation and movement, as well as some types fo recognition and memory.

Frontal: Decision making, reasoning and planning. also concerened with ideas and forming associations.

Occipital: Concerned with visual information.

Temporal: Concerned with audial information: hearing, sound recognition and speech. Also involved in short term memory.

Thats about all i got.
sidrah
You're welcome :smile:

Thanks again for the Topic 7 mind map, just want to add, i'm pretty sure it's 'tropomyosin that moves, exposing myosin binding site on actin filament' not troponin. :smile:
Reply 385
sbanharally1
Thanks again for the Topic 7 mind map, just want to add, i'm pretty sure it's 'tropomyosin that moves, exposing myosin binding site on actin filament' not troponin. :smile:

Troponin changes shape when Ca2+ binds which moves tropomyosin
EDIT: dw just read the poster...I see your point!
Reply 386
sbanharally1

Ahh.. Knew I must have made an error somewhere.. lol
and ok, I'll edit that and put it up with topic 8 :smile:
Thanks for spotting that!
Reply 387
Mos001
I'm not sure whether by brain regions you mean regions of the cerebral hemispheres or regions of the brain in general. I'll list what i got anyway:

Hypothalamus: Responsible for monitoring physiological states such as hunger, thirst and temperature.

Thalamus: Part of the brain that acts as a relay for sensory information, passing it onto the appropriate areas of the brain.

Medulla Oblongata: Controls body processes subconsciously such as heart rate, blood pressure and breathing.

Cerebellum: Responsible for posture and balance, also coordinates movement as it's being carried out.

Cerebral Hemisphere: Forebrain is divided into right and left cerebral hemishpheres. These consist of four lobes: frontal, parietal, temporal and occipital. Hemispheres are linked by a band of nerve cell axons called the corpus callosum.

Parietal: Orientation and movement, as well as some types fo recognition and memory.

Frontal: Decision making, reasoning and planning. also concerened with ideas and forming associations.

Occipital: Concerned with visual information.

Temporal: Concerned with audial information: hearing, sound recognition and speech. Also involved in short term memory.

Thats about all i got.

Thanks for that!
I was just referring to how they state very few functions for the brain regions in the specification, but I think its better to learn them in depth anyway.
Reply 388
Doughboy

Pedus
send us a copy please :awesome:

Will be putting up topic 8 asap and I'll put topic 7 up again with it, I've made a teeny amendment thanks to sbanharally1 letting me know my mistake. lol.
Glad its been useful to everyone though :smile:
Reply 389
How did you lot do in Unit 6 The practical coursework type thing!
What marks did you get? (if you know)
markioe
How did you lot do in Unit 6 The practical coursework type thing!
What marks did you get? (if you know)

We wont know till results day:confused:
Reply 391
I'm not really sure we'll need to know it in such depth, but all the lobe stuff you can derive from logic anyway.
Reply 392
All the lobe I know are:

frontal - emotions, thinking, learning
parietal - memory, learning
occipetal - visual cortex , sight
temporal - auditory and speech

Hopefully that's enough. Doing homeostasis, heart, ventilation and exercise atm!
Reply 393
do you guys think well need to know PCR again seeing as its mentioned in producing GMO's?
Reply 394
Presidential
We wont know till results day:confused:

I got to know, i asked and they told me, obviously this was the pre-standardisation mark (like without grade boundaries)
Reply 395
Mos001
do you guys think well need to know PCR again seeing as its mentioned in producing GMO's?

We need to know everything [again]. In the sample article question they asked about how DNA could be amplified :o:
Reply 396
sidrah
Will be putting up topic 8 asap and I'll put topic 7 up again with it, I've made a teeny amendment thanks to sbanharally1 letting me know my mistake. lol.
Glad its been useful to everyone though :smile:

Thanks, would you be able to PM me it when you've done the adjustments? Thanks x
Reply 397
Pedus
Thanks, would you be able to PM me it when you've done the adjustments? Thanks x

ok, will do.
Reply 398
GUISE

I'm really confused.. need advice.

For neurons it talks about there being a depolarisation causing an action potential..

But with the rods and rhodopsin it talks about a hyperpolarisation causing a generation potential and then an action potential..

Can someone explain the differences bettween these polarisations and why they are different.. (I'm sure one is to do with positive charge (hyper) and one negative (depolar) but still not sure..)

Thanks
Reply 399
Doughboy
We need to know everything [again]. In the sample article question they asked about how DNA could be amplified :o:

urgh... i hate PCR - so confusing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending