The Student Room Group

knowledge for impulse

basically i dont know what this word means in terms of physics. the equations are fine so far and everything and i can apply these equations to the majority of questions but i i want to know if anybody can explain the actually meaning of this in words.
i know that alot of people will be thinking along the lines of change in momentum or the product of a force and the time for which it acts but wat i want to know is what does that actually mean?
momentum for example i understand to be the tendency for an object to keep on moving at its original speed when opposed by a given force. the mass of that object and its velocity will determine the size of its momentum and hence how difficult it will be to stop.
so please cud somebody give me something similiar, explantion wise for impulse :biggrin:
Reply 1
Impulse is simply how long you keep pushing for.

It sounds from the above as if you've confused inertia and momentum - as I see it, momentum is the "ooomph" behind an object - it a tennis ball hits you, it will undoubtably hurt less than a lead ball travelling at the same speed.

The discription you gave above is the "popular" usage of the word momentum, rather than the physics usage :smile:
Reply 2
impulse is measured in Newton times seconds or Ns. it is the amount of time a force is applied to an object. it is equivalent to the change in momentum of that object.
Reply 3
"Impulse is simply how long you keep pushing for"
"it is the amount of time a force is applied to an object"

both these are wrong, it is not an amount of time... the impulse is equal to the amount of force on the object times the length of time the force is acting, provided the force is constant... if the force varies it is the time integral of the force.

easier to think of as change of momentum. if you understand momentum (product of mass and velocity) then impulse should be easy to understand, its just the difference between momentum before and after.
Reply 4
mik1w
"Impulse is simply how long you keep pushing for"
"it is the amount of time a force is applied to an object"

both these are wrong, it is not an amount of time... the impulse is equal to the amount of force on the object times the length of time the force is acting, provided the force is constant... if the force varies it is the time integral of the force.

easier to think of as change of momentum. if you understand momentum (product of mass and velocity) then impulse should be easy to understand, its just the difference between momentum before and after.

I disagree. As a way of understanding it, and what it does, I think "how long you keep pushing for" is a perfectly good description of describing the thought. Anyone with half a brain would know impulse isn't a measure of time...
Reply 5
Wacther
:biggrin:

When I have a question involving impulse ,momentum and force I always start by writing down the following

Impulse = Ft
.........., = mv-mu

I then use the formula for the actual values ...
The following might confuse ... I normally just write down the formulae in bold. But looking at the formulae in more detail

Impules =mv - mu = m(v-u)
Now (v - u)/ t = a .... so v-u =at
so Impulse = mat
F=ma so Impulse = Ft

Impulse = Ft = mat =mv-mu = m(v-u)
Reply 6
Princess Ana
I disagree. As a way of understanding it, and what it does, I think "how long you keep pushing for" is a perfectly good description of describing the thought. Anyone with half a brain would know impulse isn't a measure of time...

but it just isnt how long you keep pushing it for... thats just not what it is.. maybe its meant to be taken as "proportional to how long you're pushing for", but then again that is still only true for a constant force, and still if you meant it to be taken as something else, why not just say that?
Reply 7
mik1w
but it just isnt how long you keep pushing it for... thats just not what it is.. maybe its meant to be taken as "proportional to how long you're pushing for", but then again that is still only true for a constant force, and still if you meant it to be taken as something else, why not just say that?

1) If this chap is doing A-level, he'll only be dealing with constant forces

2) Translation isn't an exact science, and heaven knows I'm not very good at arts.

3) The impression I got from his post was that he didn't ask for an exact definition, just a feeling.

If I goofed, I'm sorry :smile:
Reply 8
yeh thanx for all the replies and so quickly as well.
i dont mean to be rude in this but i think some of u guys (and gurls) have misinterpretated what i was asking for.
Yeh, like princess said i more would like a feeling for what impulse is. i already know how to calulate it and all but its definition (not calculation wise, but word wise) is foggy.
so really a feeling for it would be helpful rather than the info that it is simply the change in momentum (no offene meant and sorry to trouble again with this question but i havent really been able to find a clear explantion newhere so far that didnt simply tell me how the work it out or something along the lines of how it is derived from newtons second law, its units and the quantities involved etc.
Reply 9
I dont understand what you're looking for.. it is the change in momentum, and that's all. if you know what momentum is, then it's just the change of momentum over a time period. that is what it is... that's all it is...

maybe you want more conceptual problems rather than just plugging numbers into equations. I just read a good one:

two cars, one with twice the mass of the first, begin a race with the same engine power (ie. same force acting in the same direction). the track is straight and of length s. how are their two momentums related as measured when each one crosses the line? can you give an equation to relate it?

is impulse a vector or scalar quantity?
what is the difference between impulse and work?
they describe changes in momentum/kinetic energy (respectively), but both these quantities are only dependant on mass and velocity. so what's the difference?
Reply 10
in answer to the first question im fuddled for how to figure it out, ill think about it for a while and hopefully ill get it.
erm for the second one, what comes to mind immediatley is the fact that the kinetic energy is a scalar quantity and the momentum is a vector quantity
thanks for the question doh because i thought about it some more.
I know that work is the transfer of energy from one system to another and because of that question i think (if im wrong no worries but i think) that when tallking about impulse (not momentum specifically as the question asks) i could say: the impulse of a force is equal to the change in momentum which that force causes the body upon which it acts to undergo. the greater the force and/or time it acts, the greater the change in momentum which is induced and therefore an increase in the maginitude of the force or the time for which it acts will likewise mean that the impulse of that force is increased.
:biggrin: hopefully that explanation is right and if it is thanks beri muchus :biggrin:

Latest