The Student Room Group

Romeo&Juliet: Quote analysis ??

I have been working on the character of Romeo and is presentation in the play and my upcoming assessment in based on Romeo. Can someone please help with analysing the quotation, ‘thy beauty hath made me effeminate.’ This is a quotation which I intend on using and I have analysed it but i need help with some in depth analysis in order for achieving grade 8/9. For my assessment I am going to be saying that Romeo is presents as impulsive and naive but is this a suitable quote?
It's impulsive and shows Romeo not accepting responsibility for his actions. When Mercutio is killed, Romeo feels guilty that it wasn't him who fought Tybalt. Rather than realising that he did the right thing by ignoring Tybalt's insults, and that Mercutio chose to get involved, Romeo looks for someone else to blame. He could accept responsibility for coming between them, which is how Mercutio was injured. Instead he blames his perceived weakness on Juliet. He has been married barely an hour and already he is angry with Juliet, even though she has done nothing wrong. Ironically, when Juliet hears that Romeo has killed her cousin she in turn blames him, but then rapidly changes her mind.

The quote also reminds us of the pressure in the play to be a strong male. Mercutio and Tybalt both flaunt their masculinity, with threats and crude sexual humour. Look also at the opening scene where the servants want to prove their manhood by making crude jokes and starting a fight. Romeo plays no part in this toxic masculinity until Mercutio is killed. Then he blames Juliet for making him 'effeminate' and for a brief moment acts just like the 'real men'. This is an impulsive act, which Shakespeare uses to bring about Romeo's downfall. It's no coincidence that the only one of the four men present at the fight to survive to the end of the play is Benvolio, who dislikes violence but is much less impulsive.
Reply 2
Original post by Lit teacher
It's impulsive and shows Romeo not accepting responsibility for his actions. When Mercutio is killed, Romeo feels guilty that it wasn't him who fought Tybalt. Rather than realising that he did the right thing by ignoring Tybalt's insults, and that Mercutio chose to get involved, Romeo looks for someone else to blame. He could accept responsibility for coming between them, which is how Mercutio was injured. Instead he blames his perceived weakness on Juliet. He has been married barely an hour and already he is angry with Juliet, even though she has done nothing wrong. Ironically, when Juliet hears that Romeo has killed her cousin she in turn blames him, but then rapidly changes her mind.

The quote also reminds us of the pressure in the play to be a strong male. Mercutio and Tybalt both flaunt their masculinity, with threats and crude sexual humour. Look also at the opening scene where the servants want to prove their manhood by making crude jokes and starting a fight. Romeo plays no part in this toxic masculinity until Mercutio is killed. Then he blames Juliet for making him 'effeminate' and for a brief moment acts just like the 'real men'. This is an impulsive act, which Shakespeare uses to bring about Romeo's downfall. It's no coincidence that the only one of the four men present at the fight to survive to the end of the play is Benvolio, who dislikes violence but is much less impulsive.

this is really good!!! thanks so much
Reply 3
Original post by peachypies
this is really good!!! thanks so much

I'm guessing you found this old post because you're revising for Romeo and Juliet now.

I would also directly link that quote to the patriarchal Elizabethan context, as society considered feminine traits as weaker

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending