The Student Room Group

Knowing which particular integral to use for ordinary differential equations

I'm sure this is a very simple thing in general but I don't seem to get it. Is there a trick to spotting it? It it just about knowing which one to use? There's too many occasions where, for example, I've used Ae^t instead of Ate^t or the other way round. And even now, I'm doing a cauchy-euler differential equation. The RHS to which is 1 - 3t so I looked up differential equations in my FP2 book and from that I got I should use, At + B as Yp(x) but it's beginning to look wrong to me (it may actually be correct but I can't tell) and I'm thinking maybe I'm meant to know something more advanced than FP2 to solve the question. I'm really not sure and the more I look at things, the more I'm getting confused. Somebody help.
Reply 1
Normally what's on the RHS of your equation (the "forcing term" as I'll call it) will be a trig function, an exponential function or a polynomial. Usually your particular integral will simply be something of the same form.

So if the forcing term is cos4x\cos 4x then you put yp=Acos4x+Bsin4xy_p = A\cos 4x + B\sin 4x. If the forcing term is e3xe^{3x} then you put yp=Ae3xy_p = Ae^{3x}. If the forcing term is x2+3x^2+3 then you put yp=Ax2+Bx+Cy_p=Ax^2+Bx+C. The key things to note here are that for trig functions you need to include both sines and cosines, because of the way their derivatives work; and for polynomials you need to match the highest power of the polynomial (you don't need to go higher).

This sometimes doesn't work when the complimentary function forms part of the forcing term. So for example if your forcing term was e2xe^{2x} and your characteristic polynomial was λ23λ+2=(λ1)(λ2)\lambda^2 - 3\lambda + 2 = (\lambda - 1)(\lambda - 2), then your complimentary function would contain an e2xe^{2x} term. In this case, you'd notice that you can't solve for the particular integral, so you have to multiply by xx; i.e. put yp=Axe2xy_p=Axe^{2x}. Similarly, say you had sin2x\sin 2x in your forcing term and your characteristic polynomial was λ2+4\lambda^2 + 4, then the same thing would happen.

The very worst-case scenario is if your forcing term is, say, e2xe^{2x} and your characteristic polynomial is λ24λ+4=(λ2)2\lambda^2 - 4\lambda + 4 = (\lambda - 2)^2. Then your complimentary function would be (Ax+B)e2x(Ax+B)e^{2x}, and so even trying yp=Cxe2xy_p=Cxe^{2x} wouldn't work because part of the complimentary function contains it. In this case you need to go even further and put yp=Cx2e2xy_p = Cx^2e^{2x}.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by nuodai
Normally what's on the RHS of your equation (the "forcing term" as I'll call it) will be a trig function, an exponential function or a polynomial. Usually your particular integral will simply be something of the same form.

So if the forcing term is cos4x\cos 4x then you put yp=Acos4x+Bsin4xy_p = A\cos 4x + B\sin 4x. If the forcing term is e3xe^{3x} then you put yp=Ae3xy_p = Ae^{3x}. If the forcing term is x2+3x^2+3 then you put yp=Ax2+Bx+Cy_p=Ax^2+Bx+C. The key things to note here are that for trig functions you need to include both sines and cosines, because of the way their derivatives work; and for polynomials you need to match the highest power of the polynomial (you don't need to go higher).

This sometimes doesn't work when the complimentary function forms part of the forcing term. So for example if your forcing term was e2xe^{2x} and your characteristic polynomial was λ23λ+2=(λ1)(λ2)\lambda^2 - 3\lambda + 2 = (\lambda - 1)(\lambda - 2), then your complimentary function would contain an e2xe^{2x} term. In this case, you'd notice that you can't solve for the particular integral, so you have to multiply by xx; i.e. put yp=Axe2xy_p=Axe^{2x}. Similarly, say you had sin2x\sin 2x in your forcing term and your characteristic polynomial was λ2+4\lambda^2 + 4, then the same thing would happen.

The very worst-case scenario is if your forcing term is, say, e2xe^{2x} and your characteristic polynomial is λ24λ+4=(λ2)2\lambda^2 - 4\lambda + 4 = (\lambda - 2)^2. Then your complimentary function would be (Ax+B)e2x(Ax+B)e^{2x}, and so even trying yp=Cxe2xy_p=Cxe^{2x} wouldn't work because part of the complimentary function contains it. In this case you need to go even further and put yp=Cx2e2xy_p = Cx^2e^{2x}.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, that was reallly really helpful :smile: :smile:

Just want to confirm, using my Yp(t) = 1 - 3t would not be correct if e^t is a substitution for x in the original differential equation then? (if I have understood correctly. if not, then :facepalm:) I'd have to use the quadratic version, right?
Reply 3
Original post by Preeka
Thank you, that was reallly really helpful :smile: :smile:

Just want to confirm, using my Yp(t) = 1 - 3t would not be correct if e^t is a substitution for x in the original differential equation then? (if I have understood correctly. if not, then :facepalm:) I'd have to use the quadratic version, right?

Hrm? If the RHS of your equation is 13t1-3t then the correct substitution to make for the particular integral is At+BAt+B. I'm not sure what you're getting at with ete^t being a substitution for x and so on.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by nuodai
Hrm? If the RHS of your equation is 13t1-3t then the correct substitution to make for the particular integral is At+BAt+B. I'm not sure what you're getting at with ete^t being a substitution for x and so on.

Basically, I was trying to solve a cauchy-euler differential equation using the substitution x = e^t so essentially solving in terms of t and then reverting back to x for the final general solution. So consequently my complimentary function has terms which involve exponentials which is why I thought I was messing up my particular part by just putting the particular integral as a linear polynomial. I'm not sure how much of that made sense but I hope it did.
Reply 5
Original post by Preeka
Basically, I was trying to solve a cauchy-euler differential equation using the substitution x = e^t so essentially solving in terms of t and then reverting back to x for the final general solution. So consequently my complimentary function has terms which involve exponentials which is why I thought I was messing up my particular part by just putting the particular integral as a linear polynomial. I'm not sure how much of that made sense but I hope it did.

Ah right, that makes sense. In that case, make the substitution so it becomes a normal linear differential equation and then forget the x terms ever existed; just look at it as a differential equation w.r.t. t and solve it that way. Then you can substitute back right at the end. I can't help you much more though, because I'm not sure what your precise equation is.
Reply 6
Original post by nuodai
Ah right, that makes sense. In that case, make the substitution so it becomes a normal linear differential equation and then forget the x terms ever existed; just look at it as a differential equation w.r.t. t and solve it that way. Then you can substitute back right at the end. I can't help you much more though, because I'm not sure what your precise equation is.

Alright, thanks :smile: I suppose I'll give it one more go and see how it figures out. If it still seems dodgy, I'll post the equation up to help give a clearer idea. Thanks for the help though :smile:
Reply 7
x2f(x)+5xf(x)12y=13logxx^2 f''(x) + 5x f'(x) - 12y = 1 - 3 log x

This is the equation. Is using Yp as At + B reasonable after doing the whole x = e^t substitution?
Reply 8
Original post by Preeka
x2f(x)+5xf(x)12y=13logxx^2 f''(x) + 5x f'(x) - 12y = 1 - 3 log x

This is the equation. Is using Yp as At + B reasonable after doing the whole x = e^t substitution?

Yes; putting x=etx=e^t will give you y¨+4y˙12y=13t\ddot{y} + 4 \dot{y} - 12y = 1-3t, so putting yp=At+By_p=At+B will tell you what the particular integral is.
Reply 9
Original post by nuodai

Hope this helps.

thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest