The Student Room Group

Durham vs newcastle vs lancaster

hey ppl i got 3 offers

Durham university - BA accounting and finance
Newcastle university - BSC economics and statistics
Lancaster University - BSC accounting, finance and maths.

can sum1 help me and give me the pros and cons of the unis and subjects and also im not looking to be an accountant for sure.......not 100%
Reply 1
Original post by kmansick

[QUOTE="kmansick;30656657"]hey ppl i got 3 offers

can sum1 help me and give me the pros and cons of the unis and subjects and also im not looking to be an accountant for sure.......not 100%[/QUOT

ive applied to both newcastle and lancaster, both want AAB for accounting and economics, i really wished i applied to durham, as they only want ABB, what grades were u predicted and wht subjects you doing.

Lancatser business school is top 25-30 in the world, and is better than durhams and newcastle, but durham is such a prestigious university, even though lancaster is now top 10.
Reply 2
[QUOTE="economic;30747048"]
hey ppl i got 3 offers

can sum1 help me and give me the pros and cons of the unis and subjects and also im not looking to be an accountant for sure.......not 100%[/QUOT

ive applied to both newcastle and lancaster, both want AAB for accounting and economics, i really wished i applied to durham, as they only want ABB, what grades were u predicted and wht subjects you doing.

Lancatser business school is top 25-30 in the world, and is better than durhams and newcastle, but durham is such a prestigious university, even though lancaster is now top 10.

predicted AAAA maths economics business studies and physics! lol yeh i know but even durhams in the top 10....theyre 4th in complete university guide....wbt u??

which one u choosing?
Reply 3

[QUOTE="kmansick;30812677"]
Original post by economic

predicted AAAA maths economics business studies and physics! lol yeh i know but even durhams in the top 10....theyre 4th in complete university guide....wbt u??

which one u choosing?

Im choosing lancatser, because its business school is far superior compared to Durhams and especially newcastle, and its accounting and finace course is also more highly regarded than newcasteles and durham.

Plus people at durham are supposed to be the most stuck and snobbiest people going at the uni in the whole of the UK.#

Which one you gona choose.
Reply 4
[QUOTE="economic;30850886"]

Im choosing lancatser, because its business school is far superior compared to Durhams and especially newcastle, and its accounting and finace course is also more highly regarded than newcasteles and durham.

Plus people at durham are supposed to be the most stuck and snobbiest people going at the uni in the whole of the UK.#

Which one you gona choose.

but more than the business school wont the employers look at overall reputation?? i mean durhams quite a trusted university in terms of employment......durham keeps a track on its graduate and they ask for feedback from the companies on their graduates so they can improve their current undergradutes....if you get what i mean??

anyways im planning to change to economics if there are free places! durhams economics is highly respected.
Reply 5

[QUOTE="kmansick;30857944"]

but more than the business school wont the employers look at overall reputation?? i mean durhams quite a trusted university in terms of employment......durham keeps a track on its graduate and they ask for feedback from the companies on their graduates so they can improve their current undergradutes....if you get what i mean??

anyways im planning to change to economics if there are free places! durhams economics is highly respected.

Yh, overall Durham is the better university, but Lancaster has a much better business school. Plus graduadate prosepects in lancatsers business school is higher than Durhams. I would say some employees would look at the Uni overall compared to just the business school. But take a look at City Univeristy, its a good uni, but its business school is brilliant, and employees will only regard a degree from their business school as v very high regarded degree, compared to a degree outside of their business school.

Therefore employees look at a combination of both.

One of the main reasons why i didnt choose durham is because its infamous for having a lot of stuck up snobs in there. What social class are you from.
Reply 6

Yeah, supposed to be.

Yes, it's very middle class. Yes there are some unpleasent people. But this can be said of many universities. They are a small minority and easily ignored.

Besides, accounting and finance is taught at Queen's Campus which has a slightly more modest varied intake of students and, one can argue, less pretentious surroundings. Not that I think Durham (City's) surrounding are "prententious" anyway.

[QUOTE="economic;30880831"]

Yh, overall Durham is the better university, but Lancaster has a much better business school. Plus graduadate prosepects in lancatsers business school is higher than Durhams. I would say some employees would look at the Uni overall compared to just the business school. But take a look at City Univeristy, its a good uni, but its business school is brilliant, and employees will only regard a degree from their business school as v very high regarded degree, compared to a degree outside of their business school.

Employers. surely?

OP, you're unlikely to be disadvantaged significant by attending one over the other . All three are well regarded universities (Lancaster and Durham in the 1994 Group, Newcastle in the Russell Group) and, although Lancaster and Durham have the stronger business schools (with Lancaster's certainly stronger than Durham's - with the exception of economics Durham's business school seems more postgrad orientated) your employment prospects are unlikely vastly different.

Were you to enter a business related degree employers will most likely be aware of the strength of the business school and its graduates primarily through employing previous graduates. But they will be most concerned with your academic performance and work experience amongst other things.
Reply 7
Yes i meant employers, lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending