The Student Room Group

Edexcel Drama and Theatre Unit 4

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ellee
im doing exactly the same :smile: have you annotated your script, im having trouble, any advice?

Well we have had a few lessons where we focused on particular scenes, so some of my script is really detailed in annotations but other parts I have nothing. I personally feel that it's best to just write down how you would stage the scene, impacts on the audience and a few rehearsal techniques, particularly for any stage directions.

I reckon that would take about 10 - 15 minutes per scene, and to be fair if it's a rainy day (like tomorrow) then what better way to spend some free time? :P

Plus, it will save you having to waste precious minutes in the exam itself :smile:
Reply 61
Staying at home on a saturday writing a drama essay. Living the dream.
Reply 62
Original post by ojpearson
Well we have had a few lessons where we focused on particular scenes, so some of my script is really detailed in annotations but other parts I have nothing. I personally feel that it's best to just write down how you would stage the scene, impacts on the audience and a few rehearsal techniques, particularly for any stage directions.

I reckon that would take about 10 - 15 minutes per scene, and to be fair if it's a rainy day (like tomorrow) then what better way to spend some free time? :P

Plus, it will save you having to waste precious minutes in the exam itself :smile:

thankyou and yeah good point, i've done a few scenes already so i might just nail it tomorrow! are you commenting on specific lighting/staging/ music for each scene?
Original post by magicalyoghurt
I'm hogging it too lol :tongue: I think for designers you could talk about how the set would work. Like I don't know it could revolve or Woyzeck could enter through the audience? (I don't know if that is design though lol) Maybe you could say I would have Woyzeck enter in such a way and this would be added to by the costume, creating maximum impact :s-smilie:
But then it is rehearsal... Hmm that is a hard one. I never know how the answer that (a) question. Thankfully it is just 4 marks :tongue:

We're definitely the keen ones :wink:
Thanks for this what you said before :smile:
I just hope they don't ask anything like that in the exam!
Original post by JoshCampell
Thanks for the rehearsal techniques =)

By sounds, i got told that for the concept (B) you have to cover:
lighting
sound
costume
set

I don't know what sounds to use =/

and i meant quotes as in like what a practioner said (for woyzeck, ignore romeo and juliet) - then saying how that quote relates to your concept. That what i have seen some people made in a practice paper and my teacher said it would be good to use quotes.

Ahright, I'm just using recorded music to underscore a few scenes..
Hmm didn't think of using quotes, do you know any quotes that practitioners use? I'm baffed haha
Original post by Wanttobeasucess
Ahright, I'm just using recorded music to underscore a few scenes..
Hmm didn't think of using quotes, do you know any quotes that practitioners use? I'm baffed haha

Yeah

"Woyzeck is a politicalized play, not a political play politics, the struggle for power amongst masses and elites worked out through stage crafts and revolution" - Richard Schedner

"When we are on stage, we are here and now" - Stanislavski

Anyone know any good websites where i can find some pretty useful information for 'original shakespeare conditions' as well? (for part C)
Original post by JoshCampell
Yeah

"Woyzeck is a politicalized play, not a political play politics, the struggle for power amongst masses and elites worked out through stage crafts and revolution" - Richard Schedner

"When we are on stage, we are here and now" - Stanislavski

Anyone know any good websites where i can find some pretty useful information for 'original shakespeare conditions' as well? (for part C)

Great, thanks.

Does anybody know if we are allowed to write historical context and original perofrmance conditions in our script? :/
Great, thanks.

Does anybody know if we are allowed to write historical context and original perofrmance conditions in our script? :/

I think so :-) I have everything in there but essays lol. Even put in all my rehearsal techniques. Might put in some quotes and all :P
Original post by magicalyoghurt
Aw yeah you can't have any essays in it!! We were told we could put in anything but essays cos if they find them you would be disqualified lols. Not sure about the mark scheme in? I suppose you could actually put that in :smile:

I just checked the specification out, and the ONLY set rules they have are that there's no pre-published text. So that would include any work that you haven't written yourself (incl. mark scheme unfortunately, sorry!)

I don't think there's anything stopping you taking good sentences/parts of essays and bullet pointing them or writing them in to jog your memory. I have big massive sections that I've pre written linking each design element to my concept. I hope they're ok. They're obviously all my own work but they're pretty long :P
Reply 69
hey guys, my drama teacher made it clear that this is a drama exam - not history/english lit papers. we are drama students and need to reflect our personalities - don't over complicate things either!! like someone said before, just a chance for us to write / show our understanding of the plays and all the things we've learnt over the past 7 years - good luck! xx
Also, does anyone have a good structure for section B?

Edit: Sorry, also, I'm struggling with what to write about for historical context with woyzeck. Any ideas? Thanks everyone x
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by xoxjubixox

Edit: Sorry, also, I'm struggling with what to write about for historical context with woyzeck. Any ideas? Thanks everyone x

Well as far as I understand it's your interpretation, which means, you choose basically.

I've done mine pre-WW1, only because I've studied that in History and I know about all the political and social problems of the time.
Reply 72

get some background information of when it was written, we got given worksheets that said woyzeck is based on a real criminal case in the time where psychology was becoming big. so you could say that woyzecks pschological problems relate to the time sort of thing. dont know if that helps atall
Apperently in section B you will get one general question where you can just basically talk about your concept and another more focused one????
Apperently in section B you will get one general question where you can just basically talk about your concept and another more focused one????

I really hope this is the case. I guess it was last year, because the choice (for woyzeck anyway) was 1 about historical context, and the other about 2 design elements. Would LOVE a general one. But it's only been run once before so you never know :frown: bleh.
Reply 75
I just checked the specification out, and the ONLY set rules they have are that there's no pre-published text. So that would include any work that you haven't written yourself (incl. mark scheme unfortunately, sorry!)

I don't think there's anything stopping you taking good sentences/parts of essays and bullet pointing them or writing them in to jog your memory. I have big massive sections that I've pre written linking each design element to my concept. I hope they're ok. They're obviously all my own work but they're pretty long :P

Could you give us an example of this? It seems a good idea and I want to try it myself but I wouldn't know what to write!
Also, with the notes.. so they are DEFFO taking them away??
Reply 76
OK guys this is my understanding so far of what to cover in each part of drama exam:

SECTION A: Woyzeck.

a) Two ways performers might explore stage direction / transition (4)
b) Three rehearsal techniques to explore an exchange / relationship (6)
c) How I intend to explore a particular aspect (giving reasons + examples) (10)

SECTION B: Woyzeck.

a) Approach to the play understanding historical context, or two design elements. (30)

SECTION C: Shakespeare.

a) Compare an aspect of the production with its original performance. (30)

On the Shakespeare topic you get two choices of questions but comparing it with its original context mostly comes up.

Hope that all helps, GOOD LUCK everyone :smile:
Reply 77
Great, thanks.

For section A and B? Yeah we are :smile:
Have you got the same layout as me? Like the left hand side of the script if blank for you to write on then you have the right side of the script with the text
I'm using the lower half of the page in the script to write out the different concepts for section B and then the upper half for section A and also you can use different coloured pens to make your notes in the script which might help with seperating the information :smile:
Original post by tula baby
Could you give us an example of this? It seems a good idea and I want to try it myself but I wouldn't know what to write!
Also, with the notes.. so they are DEFFO taking them away??

When I spoke to my teacher, she said that they take them in and keep them at school. If the exam board suspects pre published material being lifted and used then they'll ask to see your script. That's just what I've been told. That's the scripts. I think the exam board takes the research notes for section C.

Sure, what I did was write out my concept a few times, made sure it sounded right (I always forget how to phrase things properly in my exams, so it will help) and then looked at each design element, so;

- Theatre Space (and set)
- Costume
- Props/Furniture
- Lighting
- Music/Sound
- Acting Style

So, say for example, my concept was to.. I don't know, emphasise the 2D shallow nature of the characters in the play in order to put across Bucnher's point and I was going to produce a play which had a Brechtian influence, I'd write out my concept, so essentialy: what is your concept, and why (to communicate buchner's point about social injustice? To make the play have contemporary relevance? - You decide!)

Then go through the design elements and say how they support your concept. For example...

Music/Sound: I want music in my production to be (X). This will help communicate my concept because/by... etc etc etc and will have X effect of the audience .. so they can understand my concept/buchner's message, whatever.

So, it's basically just a roundabout back to your concept. I know that on the mark scheme they like everything to link back to it, especially as a production needs to be consistent (you can't use artaudian techniques in one scene, then brechtian the next).

The whole reason I did it was to make sure that I can communicate things clearly and concisely in the exam, because I'm a bit of a waffler! Just deal with WHAT, WHY (because it links to your concept), and EFFECT on audience.

Then, I'll use them for example, if it asks me to outline my ideas for music and sound in a production of woyzeck in relation to my concept... I'll use that as an intro, then go through and look at specific scenes which exemplify what I've just said. Again, be specific, and link it back to your concept.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 79

I'm not doing Woyzeck but I know most of them will have a focus in the question i.e. historical context/ period, colour, sound, lighting, staging, design of either the set/ acotrs, comparison of your interpretation to the original play.

With Section B you can write about the focus but then compare it to another element so for example if you had a question on the use of colour within the play you can write about how you'd use colour then go on to comparing it with the use of sound and how effective the two concepts would/ wouldn't be when used together within your version.

So the overall structure in my eyes would be:
1. start off with the focus
2. give an example within the script of how this would be used
3. compare it with another concept within the play
4. write an overall evaluation relating back to the question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending