The Student Room Group

struggling through sixth form: blog of a yr12 overachiever

Struggling through Sixth Form: blog of a yr12 overachiever

Hi! I am Catalina, a year 12 overseas student who got all 9s at GCSE. Will this translate into A-Levels? Probably not as I'm already struggling. :frown: I'm taking Maths (Edexcel), Further Maths (Edexcel), Physics (AQA), CS (Cambridge) and an EPQ (Edexcel). I want to study Computer Science at university. I'd really love to go to Cambridge but I know that the chances of that happening are very low.

About me (outside of academics):
- I love singing and musical theatre
- I'm a big fan of movies (especially from the 80s and 90s)
- I love reading. I literally don't know if I can say that anymore since I have not read a book in months

I created this blog mostly for me, so that I can keep track of my journey through the year. It's going to be really nice to look back on this next year during my A-Level exams or the year after that when I'm at uni. I'm not yet sure how often I want to post but I'll probably do it daily or every other day. Lmk what year you guys are in and what subjects you're doing! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by CatalinaIK

Struggling through Sixth Form: blog of a yr12 overachiever

Hi! I am Catalina, a year 12 overseas student who got all 9s at GCSE. Will this translate into A-Levels? Probably not as I'm already struggling. :frown: I'm taking Maths (Edexcel), Further Maths (Edexcel), Physics (AQA), CS (Cambridge) and an EPQ (Edexcel). I want to study Computer Science at university. I'd really love to go to Cambridge but I know that the chances of that happening are very low.

About me (outside of academics):
- I love singing and musical theatre
- I'm a big fan of movies (especially from the 80s and 90s)
- I love reading. I literally don't know if I can say that anymore since I have not read a book in months

I created this blog mostly for me, so that I can keep track of my journey through the year. It's going to be really nice to look back on this next year during my A-Level exams or the year after that when I'm at uni. I'm not yet sure how often I want to post but I'll probably do it daily or every other day. Lmk what year you guys are in and what subjects you're doing! :smile:

Maths: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29

Further: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=352
Following

Can't wait to see how you get on :smile:
Reply 3
F.22.09
I think I failed Computer Science :frown:

I had two CS tests yesterday. One went pretty well and the other one went horribly. The one that went well was on unit 1 (theory) which is information representation and the awful one was on unit 9 (practical) which is algorithm design and problem solving.

I really don't know what I got on the second one because it was so bad. It's really annoying because I understand all the content and practical is by far my strong suit in CS but this test made no sense. The questions were worded really weirdly so that I did not understand what they were asking but no one else seemed to have the same problem. It's probably because I'm switching from AQA GCSE to CIE A-Level (everyone else did CIE) but I didn't know the exam board would make such a big difference. On top of that my teacher put a few topics in the test that weren't part of the unit and hadn't been taught in class. I'll update next week with what I got. I think they want everyone to get above 80% but I can tell you now that I DEFINITELY didn't.

Anyways, will be much easier than last weekend because I only have one test next week and not a lot of homework. I'll probably spend most of my time revising for my CP1 Further Maths test but I'm hoping I'll also have time to get ahead on my EPQ, revise for my 4 tests the week after and practice for the UKMT. It's my first time doing Senior and I'm hoping to get gold again this year.

I think I've decided that I'm going to update my blog 3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) so I'll probably know how I did in CS by then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending