The Student Room Group

AS Biology f212 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
24 hrs remaining...Time is flying....lol
Reply 381

Might have to save the image and zoom in.

Edit: Don't think it's coming up on the forum. Here's the link to ImageShack.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/002vtp.jpg/
(edited 12 years ago)
ive hardly revised for this, even now when i know its tommorow im just chillin playing cod hahaha

wtf am i doing
Reply 383
can sumone please explain the graph with the fixed concentration of competitive inhibitor ..
it shows a dotted straight line...

can sumne explain why its like that ..
because it dosent say what has been increased or decreased just there is now competitvie inhibitors ???
Original post by lilpg
can sumone please explain the graph with the fixed concentration of competitive inhibitor ..
it shows a dotted straight line...

can sumne explain why its like that ..
because it dosent say what has been increased or decreased just there is now competitvie inhibitors ???

It shows what happens to the rate of reaction as you increase the concentration of the substrate. So if you have a fixed concentration of competitive inhibitor it will slow down the rate of reaction but it will have less and less of an effect as you increase the substrate concentration.
Original post by Bi0logical
Share notes on CITES/Conservation ex/in and RIO convention.
Also advantages/disadvantages of in-situ/ex-situ?

Thank you

Back :P

In-situ : Conservation of organisms within their natural habitat.
Advantages are:

1)Legislation can be passed over the banning of hunting,clearing and logging of an area.
2)Animals and plants are conserved/live in their natural habitat.
3)Facilitates scientific research
4)Biodiversity increases
5)Ecological integrity is maintained
6)Farms or private land cab be used as a reserve upon private agreement

Disadvantages:
Land can be used for agriculture
Animals going out of reserved area are susceptible to poaching/they might raid nearby farm,crop,etc.
In case of natural disaster consequences could be worse
Legislation can be prevented if the gov. opposes it.

Ex-situ: Conservation of organisms out of their natural habitat

Advantages:
Plants can be regrown after having been bred in captivity
Plants are reproduced asexually
Botanical gardens increase individuals quickly
Seeds are stored
Animals at critical levels can be repopulated by IVF,A.I
No predtaors!
Vet. care is taken/hence less chance of disease spreading

Dis-Advantages:
Low genetic variation = low biodiversity
Asexually produced plants as above^
Seeds kept for long time can't be viable
Animals let out in the wild can't cope due to dependence on humans for food,shelter
Limited space of individuals to let out

:smile:

Quote me back on anything! :smile:
Reply 386
what did u have 2 get in jan for an A? cant find the grade boundaries for the jan 11 exam
Reply 387
Original post by shuty
what did u have 2 get in jan for an A? cant find the grade boundaries for the jan 11 exam

for unit two, 64 :biggrin:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/admin/ocr_56047_admin_unit_level_raw_mark.pdf
Original post by shuty

I have no idea.
Reply 389
Does carbon monoxide damage the lining of the airways or is that JUST tar?
Original post by tuckaa
Does carbon monoxide damage the lining of the airways or is that JUST tar?

Lining of the artery =]
Hmm why do I see such a low activity on this thread. :s-smilie:
Reply 392
Original post by YuDunno

Original post by YuDunno
My F212 notes, for module 1..
They're not fantastic and am doing module 2 & 3 now if anybody is interested.
Hope they're of some use :smile:

REVISE HARDDDDD!!

hey could you post module 2 and 3 too i find your notes very useful!!!
activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity
Original post by lydiaahill
activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity activity

Hahah... that's more like it!
Reply 395
Original post by ibysaiyan
Hmm why do I see such a low activity on this thread. :s-smilie:

Ohkay thanks, does carbon monoxide/nicotine have an affect of the gas exchange system at all then or is that just tar?
Would really appreciate if anyone could help me understand the following things-

-CITES/RIO
-Effects of climate change on agrculture
-Botanical gardens etc...

PLEASE. Dont mean to be cheeky :s
Original post by tuckaa
Ohkay thanks, does carbon monoxide/nicotine have an affect of the gas exchange system at all then or is that just tar?

Hmm..
Nicotine causes the release of adrenaline which implies raise in heart rate -> hence more gaseous exhange.The only thing which CO does directly are the two:

Deprivation of oxygen in the blood as C0 is more readily absorbed by the haemoglobin,damage to the artery lining. =]
Original post by slacker07906
Would really appreciate if anyone could help me understand the following things-

-CITES/RIO
-Effects of climate change on agrculture
-Botanical gardens etc...

PLEASE. Dont mean to be cheeky :s

Loss of habitat and increase in endanger no. of species is an issue of an international scale.Hence why we require oragnizatons/ conventions such CITES,Rio convention on Bio.d and EIA (mainly local)

CITES stands for The Convention in International Trade in endangered species (of wild fauna and flora)

Which aims to :

Regulate and monitor the Internation trade of specific plant and animal species.
Ensure that the trade doesn't endanger the wild population
Ensure that the trade of wild plants for commercial use is prohibited
Ensure that the trade of artifically propagated plants is allowed,subject to permit
Ensure that the trade of slightly less endangered species is allowed,subject to permit and agreement btw. export and import countries...

Effect of climate change on agriculture is as follows:
Increase in temp. would mean an increase in yield of the crops,more photosynthesis,etc
Meanwhile no. of pests increases too so the overall yield is less.Crops grown in tropical/humid condition will reduce..
The presence of more pest means more chance the spread of diseases.

Botanical gardens increase the no. of individual in a short time (are ex-situ)One of the miain dis-advatage of this is that plants on grown in captivity are unable to cope in the wild.
June 10, Unit 2,

A = 77
B = 70
C = 64

Edit:

(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending