The Student Room Group

AS Biology f212 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by darkxangel

lol-"parrot thinghy's":biggrin:, anyway, i put down check for hereditary diseases and make sure they are not from same gene-pool, to prevent inbreeding.

My mum is in the same as me and your sig is getting me dodgy looks :P
Reply 981
Original post by Straight up G
-Cigarettes contain carcinogens
-Cause mutations in DNA of cells
-in the lining of the lungs
-cell populations divide rapidly
-by mitosis
-they become a malignant tumour
-block off large parts of the lungs

That's what I got. Doubt it's worth the full 6.

I put cell multiplies instead of divide:frown:
Original post by Groat

Yeah, an odd choice for a 6 mark question.
Reply 983
revise

chemistry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by Groat
I'm not sure what else you could've said for that question. There's barely any theory covered in the textbook.

Yeah thats what i thought
I did all the carcinogen talk blah di blah and how it enters cells and disrupts the genetic mechanism etc and uncontrolled replication.

I then talked about experimental evidense backing up the link to smoking with cancer such as the mice and then talked about epidemiological evidense and said referring to figure 1.5 since they gave the graph for us ^_^ LOL it was worth another mention, i was trying to write anything lol
Reply 985
Original post by ilyking
stop reminiscing over an exam and revise chemistry for tomorrow

stop this, you're making me sad and unhappy, i'm just going to sit here drawing boltzmann distribution and enthalpy profile diagrams till my hearts content (and protend that we don't need to learn anything about resources or mechanisms)
Reply 986
Yeah, I was quite happy with the way I tackled that question and the 7 marker on DNA.

yh i put all that malarcky about double helix untwists, then unzips etc......I hope thats right!!! lol
Original post by thesalamander123
My mum is in the same as me and your sig is getting me dodgy looks :P

lol, it's not like they are visibly naked. :colondollar:
haha after reading some of the answer's you lot put im feeling slightly more confident. Maybe it wasn't so easy after all!
Reply 989
Original post by ilyking
stop reminiscing over an exam and revise chemistry for tomorrow

lol
Original post by Kir4nK
revise

yh, good idea-i don't know anything about spectrometry, i.r. radiation since i missed the lessons.
Original post by taunt
I put cell multiplies instead of divide:frown:

Well, I think the words they were looking for were uncontrolled replication, but divide and multiply will probably be accepted too
Reply 992
Original post by Kir4nK
revise

I cant!!! lol

all i can think about is this blumin exam.....................

and I also hate the fact they make us wait so long for results.....
lol, it's not like they are visibly naked. :colondollar:

Bi?
Well, I think the words they were looking for were uncontrolled replication, but divide and multiply will probably be accepted too

I dont know about that, i think for cancer the replication is more specific, e.g uncontrolled cos thats when it can be classed as cancerous.

But i dont know about the mark scheme so who knows
Reply 995
I put glycogen is insoluble then decided it was soluble in the last 5 minutes T_T

Damn and blast.
Reply 996
It wasn't nucleotides, it was 'nucleic acids'.

I thought of it the other way round, I thought nucleic acids first, then I remembered lipids. Will be pissed off if I lose the mark.

That question didn't have the option 'phospholipid' though? With just lipid, it could relate to a range of oils or fats. I put nucleic acids, I may be wrong.
Reply 997
For the Tamiflu one it doesn't matter which way you put it as long as you explained a method of inhibition
Reply 998
Original post by Joseppea
I put glycogen is insoluble then decided it was soluble in the last 5 minutes T_T

Damn and blast.

well if its any consellation.....the question was asking for structure.....so it being soluble or not has nothing to do with it...........

btw you are talking about that "compare collagen & glycogen" question arnt you....???
Reply 999
I thought that this paper really lacked a lot of theory, I was disappointed. I know that some content is inevitably ignored, but there was little on the immune system, biological molecules, bonds etc!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending