The Student Room Group

AS Biology f212 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by taunt
I said totally resistant......

but like most answers, I probs got this wrong too.....:frown:

I kind of fused the resistant theory and the sort of mutation theory like new strains. Like new straines of aphids, unaffected by a certain degree of acididty therefore an increased acidity may be required in the near future
Original post by Groat
Yeah, I agree that there was very little theory in general. All the questions seemed to have a data element which I always feel is exam technique rather than knowledge - this may benefit some, but I would've preferred a paper heavy with theory such as: transmission of malaria, biological molecules test, enzyme-substrate complexes, immune system, etc.

Also, for the question about insecticides. Did everyone talk about natural selection, but just said that the resistance was to a certain concentration of insecticide rather than being totally resistant?

Yep basically it was the process of natural selection. Easiest question on paper :tongue:
Reply 1182
Original post by Groat

Also, for the question about insecticides. Did everyone talk about natural selection, but just said that the resistance was to a certain concentration of insecticide rather than being totally resistant?

Yeah, 99% sure it was looking for the mechanism for how resistance is developed whilst trying to be confusing at the same time. I just said they got 'more resistant' over generations but most of the marks (if not all) will have been for the mechanism, not little details like that :smile:
Reply 1183
For one of the questions about biological molecules (the one with all the pictures where you had to choose letters), did you guys put the last 2 ones as F (the haemoglobin looking-thing)? Where it asked to give the letters of where disulfide and peptides bonds would be...? Didn't seem right to put 2 of the same letter right after each other, but I couldn't think where else they would be!
Reply 1184
Original post by CGB
For one of the questions about biological molecules (the one with all the pictures where you had to choose letters), did you guys put the last 2 ones as F (the haemoglobin looking-thing)? Where it asked to give the letters of where disulfide and peptides bonds would be...? Didn't seem right to put 2 of the same letter right after each other, but I couldn't think where else they would be!

I think they were trying to trick you, but you were right - with those questions, they usually say when you can't use a letter twice.
Reply 1185
Original post by Groat
Yeah, I agree that there was very little theory in general. All the questions seemed to have a data element which I always feel is exam technique rather than knowledge - this may benefit some, but I would've preferred a paper heavy with theory such as: transmission of malaria, biological molecules test, enzyme-substrate complexes, immune system, etc.

Same here. A nice 9 marker of quantitative analysis of reducing sugar content would have been great. Or the entire structure of a haemoglobin molecule. With the science-y questions you can practically 'mark' your answers yourself if you've done enough past papers. I found myself waffling so much today as I really had no clue what Mr OCR wanted from me! I mean seriously, how many bloody graphs do you want me describe!

And I talked about them gaining resistance, rather than being totally resistant. So you have to increase the concentration of insecticide in order to kill the more resistant organisms.
Reply 1186
Original post by Doughnut
Same here. A nice 9 marker of quantitative analysis of reducing sugar content would have been great. Or the entire structure of a haemoglobin molecule. With the science-y questions you can practically 'mark' your answers yourself if you've done enough past papers. I found myself waffling so much today as I really had no clue what Mr OCR wanted from me! I mean seriously, how many bloody graphs do you want me describe!

And I talked about them gaining resistance, rather than being totally resistant. So you have to increase the concentration of insecticide in order to kill the more resistant organisms.

Yeah, that's why I asked the question, as it didn't say the standard - why would a population of resistant Aphids develop?

I think in general all the exams are trying to be sneaky, asking questions in the corners of the syllabus. I thought two marks for the temperature and rate description question was crazy! Whereas fossils to prove evolution was only 2 marks, whereas that actually required revision.

As I said, all exam technique.
Original post by Groat
I think they were trying to trick you, but you were right - with those questions, they usually say when you can't use a letter twice.

yeh and which 2 did u put down as the molecules which can store? i put down glucose and i put down the triglyceride aswell which was wrong!
That actually confused me that molecule letter thing! For the has peptide bonds I said the amino acid but I was so close to writing the letter for haemoglobin-gutted
Reply 1189
Original post by broken_glass_heart
yeh and which 2 did u put down as the molecules which can store? i put down glucose and i put down the triglyceride aswell which was wrong!

Triglyceride was the right answer, as technically glucose isn't an energy storage molecule.
Reply 1190
Original post by taunt
I cant!!! lol

all i can think about is this blumin exam.....................

and I also hate the fact they make us wait so long for results.....

i totally agree but i guess u have to consider that they have to mark like thousands of papers

hate revising for chemistry :frown: what u revising ??
Reply 1191
Original post by Doughnut
True, I think I know which question you're on about in c2 as well :redface: (edexcel, by any chance?) I found this exam incredibly frustrating. I revised a lot for this exam, did lots of past papers, all that you should do but a lot of it seemed wasted. The amount of actual scientific facts that were required was very little, very annoying when you've learnt every single detail about all the condensation reactions for example. Ah well...

(:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1192
Original post by Kir4nK
i totally agree but i guess u have to consider that they have to mark like thousands of papers

hate revising for chemistry :frown: what u revising ??

chemistry lol.....well Im meant to be anyway lol

i seriously cant physically do it lol im getting to stressed over this, I know its over and all, but even so:frown:

I'll try having a good nights rest today, and then do like 2 hours of revision tomorrow morning in school.....
My summer ain't going to go too brilliantly now lol all i'll be doing is thinking about my results and how poor I've done....

wbu?? what are you revising
Reply 1193
Original post by SCollyyy
i totally agree! i guessed at the answer to the radius question and i guessed right, the answer was 2 (:

Might want to edit your post there, not allowed to actually discuss the exam till later on as it's sat internationally.
Reply 1194
Original post by Groat

Ahh thank you.

Agreed about all the graph questions, I was relieved after the first one was over early on because I hate those types of questions... only to discover there were about 2-3 more waiting. :redface:

For the one about Influenza, where it asked how the pill could stop the virus from spreading, was it asking about spreading throughout the body, or throughout a population of people?
I said something like it takes up the active site, thus the virus can't break down the cell wall and leave, thus can't spread (and eventually gets broken down by lysosomes). Oh dear..
Reply 1195
Original post by taunt
chemistry lol.....well Im meant to be anyway lol

i seriously cant physically do it lol im getting to stressed over this, I know its over and all, but even so:frown:

I'll try having a good nights rest today, and then do like 2 hours of revision tomorrow morning in school.....
My summer ain't going to go too brilliantly now lol all i'll be doing is thinking about my results and how poor I've done....

wbu?? what are you revising

oh noo you will do great tmrw and then u will be laughing all through summer :biggrin: !
well i was revising chemistry for a bit just but got put of thankfully have all morning to revise tomrw :biggrin:
i spent most of that so called revision trying to calculate what i need to get in the paper to get an A loool!
how did u do in january for bio and chem??
Reply 1196
Original post by broken_glass_heart
i wrote just PHOSPHATE instead of PHOSPHATE GROUP
and for the suger i wrote "5-carbon sugar (deoxyribose)"

wud dat b da 2 marks?

tbh i messed up so badly on it:frown: i dont know, but i hope so :smile:
Reply 1197
Original post by CGB
Ahh thank you.

Agreed about all the graph questions, I was relieved after the first one was over early on because I hate those types of questions... only to discover there were about 2-3 more waiting. :redface:

For the one about Influenza, where it asked how the pill could stop the virus from spreading, was it asking about spreading throughout the body, or throughout a population of people?
I said something like it takes up the active site, thus the virus can't break down the cell wall and leave, thus can't spread (and eventually gets broken down by lysosomes). Oh dear..

Typical OCR ambiguity I hadn't even thought about the different connotation of spreading. I took it to mean the spreading between people, so I spoke about not reaching the mouth/nose so droplet infection couldn't occur.

What did you talk about for the temperature one and the rate of reaction? So many people said it denatured and was happy, but it was a describe question!

I spoke about the trend towards 40 degrees, then the trend after 40 degrees, with figures. Saying 40 degrees was the optimum amount. Then I made a comment that the increase from 50-60 degrees had the largest effect on rate of reaction.

What did everyone put for the reliability question? I just repeat the experiment and find a mean to make it easier to identify anomalies.

For the celery one, I said that every 1cm^3 of solution may not have the same concentration of enzyme. So I suggested to thoroughly stir it, or use a known concentration of catalase solution.
Original post by CGB
Ahh thank you.

Well for starters influenza is known to affect humans, so we dont have cell walls :P lol
But yeah, it means that the Virus is contained within the host cell therfore it can be more easily found and destroyed by t killer cells.
Also the virus cannot excape and attack another potential host cell, replicate and reproduce and produce more virus' copies etc. This way, containing the virus means it can spread via means of replication
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1199
Original post by Kir4nK
oh noo you will do great tmrw and then u will be laughing all through summer :biggrin: !
well i was revising chemistry for a bit just but got put of thankfully have all morning to revise tomrw :biggrin:
i spent most of that so called revision trying to calculate what i need to get in the paper to get an A loool!
how did u do in january for bio and chem??

lol thats what i do and call revision too :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending