The Student Room Group

Fp2 (complex number modulus question)

If I have |(x+5)-iv| and |(x+5)+iv|

Are these both equal to (x+5)^2 + v^2

Thank you :smile:
Yes (but no). They're both the same, but equal to the square root of what you've written.
Reply 2
So what |(x+5)-iv| be the negative square root?
Yes. I am assume the "v" in your expressions is a constant.

You basically apply Pythagoras' theorem. If, on an argand diagram, you draw a line between the point representing the complex number and the origin...you'll see.
Reply 4
Original post by dknt
No. I can kind of see what you're trying to do, but there are 2 main things wrong. The first is your squaring of it. Considering you're doing FP2 I assume you know how to expand ((x+5)-iv)^2 correctly. e.g. (x+y)^2 \not = x^ + y^2

Secondly, even if you had sqaured it correctly it wouldn't be "equal" to each other.

1(1)2|-1| \not = (-1)^2 You've sqaured one side, but not the other.

In the Fp2 book(the old one) it had this equation:

|2u+2iv|=|2-i(u+iv)|

4u^2 + 4v^2 = |(2+v)-iu|

4u^2 + 4v^2 = (2+v)^2 + u^2

This is from a worked example.
Are they wrong?
This is for fp2 complex numbers loci
Original post by dknt
No. I can kind of see what you're trying to do, but there are 2 main things wrong. The first is your squaring of it. Considering you're doing FP2 I assume you know how to expand ((x+5)-iv)^2 correctly. e.g. (x+y)^2 \not = x^ 2 +y^2

Secondly, even if you had sqaured it correctly it wouldn't be "equal" to each other.

You've sqaured one side, but not the other.

Surely...if you want to find the modulus of a complex number, you can square the real and imganiary parts separately, then add them together and then take the square root of the result.
Reply 6
Original post by KiraMayz
Surely...if you want to find the modulus of a complex number, you can square the real and imganiary parts separately, then add them together and then take the square root of the result.

Oh my yes, I completely ignored the complex numbers bit!:colondollar:
Reply 7

Yes I believe so.

although how would you sketch |(u+5)-iv|
Reply 8

I believe it is the same!

I sketched it, and found out that two lines have the same length(i.e. modulus) it would be valid to assume that

|(u+5)-iv|=|(u+5)+iv)|

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest