The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh, i'm sorry, I have no idea about grammar rules :blushing: I just know it's wrong. Really sorry, I can't be of much help explanation wise, but I had an A in German, I know when things aren't correct, I just can't say why. Guess that's a native speaker problem. You are saying "ihr" as in "they" not as in "she", right?
Reply 21
yeah....

gah thats really frustrating now, because that doesn't make any sense grammatically :frown:
Reply 22
Never mind, it just has to be "ihr" no matter what, sorry.

And it should also be "davon", not just "von" :smile:
Reply 23
but would it make a difference if it was she?
Reply 24
I'm sorry, but the way it's now, it's just wrong :frown: Not horribly, but it's not correct :frown: Maybe ask a teacher?
Reply 25
aye might have to now!! thanks for sayin!

oooh yeah pesky little davon..
Reply 26
Fleece
but would it make a difference if it was she?

Nope. Sorry, that was a pointless question. I just thought maybe you had a point as you seem rather good at German and all. but no, it has to be ihr either way. Sorry.
Reply 27
Edit. my question was pointless, not yours :wink:
Reply 28
Fleece
aye might have to now!! thanks for sayin!

oooh yeah pesky little davon..

LOL Thanks, pesky's a word I didn't know :biggrin:
Reply 29
hehe :biggrin: oki, just emailed my german lecturer, see if she can explain it! Might be waiting a while for a reply though..
Reply 30
Good luck with that :p: Might wanna tell me what she said lol
Gotta go. Night!
Reply 31
Ok just got a reply -

she basically said auf takes the accusative here, not dative...i think it must be a set phrase maybe "auf ihr Leben"
Reply 32
:eek: Okay ... whatever :rolleyes: lol thank God I don't have to think about that when I speak! I really admire people who learn German later in life! It must be so tough :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending