The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Unit 1 Economics 20th May - Discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Is it still possible to get around a low B if the multiple choice questions were answered very badly (as in, as low as 10 correct) but the data response was answered very well? Very well meaning either full marks or close to full marks on A, B and C, and with a good essay for D.
Reply 181
Original post by KIT94
I had a similar type of structure to yours. however my government intervention point were different. i wrote about houses being merit goods and that the government can impose a maximum price. (the extract mentioned something about somepeople not being able to afford houses) therefore the max price scheme was a good method. i also talked about subsidies to house builders..thus allowing them to produce more at lower prices (hence allowing more people to purchase houses)

i then went onto the evaluation where i have the pros and cons of gov intervention(i included government failure here) and offered an alternative (market mechanism and also talk about its pros and cons i.e market faiulure due to information failure or inequality (uneven dist of income)..i think i also talked about free rider problem...:smile:

Yes you sound like you have written a very good essay! I only paraphrased the market mechanism as an alternative, but mentioned the use of maximum prices as I remembered looking at it in class. As long as you were coherent in writing it looks like you're set for a high mark on this question!
Original post by Plonk
Is it still possible to get around a low B if the multiple choice questions were answered very badly (as in, as low as 10 correct) but the data response was answered very well? Very well meaning either full marks or close to full marks on A, B and C, and with a good essay for D.

Yes.
Reply 183
Original post by tehforum
Yes.

Thanks, it's just that the grade boundaries from last year say that if you don't get a certain amount of marks in the multiple choice, you won't be able to get a certain grade overall.
Reply 184
Original post by Mr Goon
I'm sure the govt. could impose min prices if it suits their objectives i.e. dist of income despite it not being a neg ext. It's a price control nonetheless and extract C didn't stipulate u had to use max price limits. O well Im sure writing about regulation, subsidies would have get me quite a few marks.

What did u write for evaluation btw? I wrote opp cost, market forces, govt. failure, unsure of right amount of subsidy due to elasticity of demand curve.

Your evaluation seems strong. i mostly included the same things as you did. however instead of talking about elasticities (which i should have done), i talked about leaving the market to the market mechanism as consumers and businesses can allocate scarce resources (houses). this may work as they may have better knowledge compared to the government. :biggrin:
Reply 185
Original post by Plonk
Thanks, it's just that the grade boundaries from last year say that if you don't get a certain amount of marks in the multiple choice, you won't be able to get a certain grade overall.

I dont think what you said was true...it doesnt matter what mark you get in multiple choice, you still have a chance of getting an A overall. for instance, you can get 15 on multiple choice and make up for it in section 2...this may still get you an A overall.
Reply 186
Original post by KIT94
I dont think what you said was true...it doesnt matter what mark you get in multiple choice, you still have a chance of getting an A overall. for instance, you can get 15 on multiple choice and make up for it in section 2...this may still get you an A overall.

Yeah, but after a certain point it becomes either impossible or a lot harder to use Section 2 to make up for a bad multiple choice mark. So you could make up a bad mark of 15 in the multiple choice, but would find it harder to make up a mark of 10. That's what I meant and am worried about.
Reply 187
What points did people do for the alchol graph? I made 2- first one that the percentage of ppl drinking alchol was highest aged 21-22 and quoted a figure. Then I put the percentage of heavy and moderate drinkers were also highest for 21-25 figures and quote the exact percentage of the highest drinkers.
Please can someone who has the copy post it here to message me please, i really want a copy of the paper, thnx :P
Reply 189
Original post by goats
What points did people do for the alchol graph? I made 2- first one that the percentage of ppl drinking alchol was highest aged 21-22 and quoted a figure. Then I put the percentage of heavy and moderate drinkers were also highest for 21-25 figures and quote the exact percentage of the highest drinkers.

In response, for the 8 marker i did, the largest ranges of each category i think and also said they all increased from 12 - 25 year olds?!?

I found that 8 marker really quite hard to do :s-smilie:
Reply 190
Original post by James4821

In response, for the 8 marker i did, the largest ranges of each category i think and also said they all increased from 12 - 25 year olds?!?

yeah i did exactly the same too :smile:
for 26D, the houses essay... can you write about interest rates...even though it is part of the other unit?
Reply 192
Original post by P_united098
for 26D, the houses essay... can you write about interest rates...even though it is part of the other unit?

if you mentioned it within one or two statements it would show the examiner that you have some understanding. however, if you did a paragraph or more, the examiner would automatically know that you dont know much macro economics! be careful next time...:smile:
Reply 193
One of the MC gave some figures about the income of the poors and riches, was the distribution of income became more unequal the correct answer?

Also for the very first question about ppf, was GJ(I think) being sacrificed the correct answer?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by lordvulture
Please can someone who has the copy post it here to message me please, i really want a copy of the paper, thnx :P

When doe the copy come out?
Reply 195

Was it 2 points of comparison or 2 poInts of signifcance? I think for signficance yours would get the full 8. I am worried maybe it might have been comparison.
Original post by P_united098

Briefly, but in excess would imply that you don't have a firm grasp on the differentiation of macro/micro economics.
Original post by sfs1012
One of the MC gave some figures about the income of the poors and riches, was the distribution of income became more unequal the correct answer?

Also for the very first question about ppf, was GJ(I think) being sacrificed the correct answer?

The 1st one is right.
I can't remember that answer.
Reply 198
Original post by goats
Was it 2 points of comparison or 2 poInts of signifcance? I think for signficance yours would get the full 8. I am worried maybe it might have been comparison.

I think it was probably 2 points of comparison but surely, comparing the largest ranges of each was definitely comparison and im not too sure about my second point?!?

what do you reckon, 4,6,or 8?
Reply 199
Original post by goats

I think I completely messed up this question if it was comparison. I talked about the age group 21-25 being the largest conumers of alcohol. Then I talked about there is a general decrease in consumption of alcohol after the age of 25. All these are backed up with evidence. I might actually get 0 for this part.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending