The Student Room Group

What does the curriculum for STEP entail?

What does the curriculum of the STEP entail? I will have to self study for it, are there any books or other resources that could be suggested for preparing for the tests?

I will hopefully get A*s in Maths and Further Maths, judging from that, how likely is it that I will get top marks in the test with about 4 months preparation (self studying)? I understand it's subjective but I'm just trying to get an idea of how difficult the tests are..
The curriculum is just standard Alevel Maths+Further, nothing extra is required (but note that due to different exam boards, there may be a few bits you need to study, but it won't be much).

Have a look at these, working through these booklets should get you well prepared:

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/step/advpcm.pdf

http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/110501_Advanced_Problems_in_Mathematics.pdf

And really, the whole point STEP even exists is because A levels aren't really a great measure of mathematical ability, and half ecent student could get A*s i'm sure.
From what I hear there's no way of seeing how well you can do. Doing past papers and working through the booklets suggested above is the only real way of practising. If you're applying to cam then they will also do a week-long STEP course for students in state schools who receive no help with step.
Reply 3
No calculator is allowed.

:lolwut::lolwut::lolwut::lolwut::lolwut::lolwut::lolwut::lolwut:
Reply 4
The best way to learn for STEP is to do past papers.

If the maths you are doing requires a calculator, it isn't real maths. A level is a good example of this.
Reply 5
Original post by Bobifier
If the maths you are doing requires a calculator, it isn't real maths. A level is a good example of this.

so sine/cosine rule isn't real maths?
Original post by ilyking
so sine/cosine rule isn't real maths?

He's just saying that number crunching isn't what real maths is about. It's the methods of working things out, and how those methods are derived.
Original post by rei dos reis

I will hopefully get A*s in Maths and Further Maths, judging from that, how likely is it that I will get top marks in the test with about 4 months preparation (self studying)?

I have no statistics to prove it but I'd guess that almost everyone taking STEP will also get the top A-level grades.
Reply 8
Original post by IrrationalNumber
I have no statistics to prove it but I'd guess that almost everyone taking STEP will also get the top A-level grades.

An extension of this,a student aiming for 2 in STEP should be getting A*'s with ease.

Quick Reply

Latest