The Student Room Group

Official MATHS applicants thread 2024

Are you applying to study maths at university this year?
Well this is the place for you!

Tell us about ...

Specific course:
Universities you're applying to:
A level / IB / Higher grades:
GCSE grades:
Any questions:

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.

You may also want to have a look at this HUGE LIST of other applicants threads for all the universities you're applying to as well as potential other courses if you're a joint honours student.
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by normaw

Tell us about ...

Specific Course:
GCSE grades:
Any questions:

You may also want to have a look at this HUGE LIST of other applicants threads for all the universities you're applying to as well as potential other courses if you're a joint honours student.

Hi guys!!
I’m applying for maths at Cambridge and maths with stats at Warwick, imperial, ucl and lse. I’m doing the MAT for imperial next week, but does anyone wanna do interview practice for Oxbridge after that?
(Preds: A*A*A*A* in fm, physics and chem)
Original post by Uni2024N
Hi guys!!
I’m applying for maths at Cambridge and maths with stats at Warwick, imperial, ucl and lse. I’m doing the MAT for imperial next week, but does anyone wanna do interview practice for Oxbridge after that?

Hey how are you feeling for the MAT??
Reply 3
Original post by Uni2024N
Hi guys!!

I've already started interview prep because I can't solve half of these interview questions, so if i do get an interview I cant trust myself with a few weeks of practice lol. Plus its fun.
Original post by chocolatewafflez
Hey how are you feeling for the MAT??

much more confident than in the summer definitely haha
im getting decent in past papers that im trying to mark as harshly as possible, so should hopefully be getting better in the actual test! are you doing the mat?
Original post by BigJ123
I've already started interview prep because I can't solve half of these interview questions, so if i do get an interview I cant trust myself with a few weeks of practice lol. Plus its fun.

yeahh i would start early but im trying to focus on the mat rn, and plus i feel like its a goof way of starting to prepare cuz mat questions usually need more explanation than step questions, which is obviously the whole point of the interview! i was just looking for someone to do interview prep with, like on call or smth
Original post by harvey_specterx
much more confident than in the summer definitely haha
im getting decent in past papers that im trying to mark as harshly as possible, so should hopefully be getting better in the actual test! are you doing the mat?

Yes I’m doing the MAT but I’m finding it so difficult to prepare, doing the questions are so disheartening rn :frown:
Original post by chocolatewafflez
Yes I’m doing the MAT but I’m finding it so difficult to prepare, doing the questions are so disheartening rn :frown:

Ikk and the averages are so low because of how hard the papers are ):
Do u wanna call or smth while working cuz I find that motivates me sm
Reply 8
Specific course: Maths (&CompSci/Stats some places)

Universities you're applying to: Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, Durham, Bristol
A level / IB / Higher grades: Predicted A*A*A*A*
GCSE grades: 999999999999
Any questions: How is everybody else finding the process, especially the MAT which was earlier today? The website was very glitchy for me.
Reply 9
Original post by Jam.123

Any questions: How is everybody else finding the process, especially the MAT which was earlier today? The website was very glitchy for me.

I’m not applying to Oxford so I didn’t do the mat but how was it?
Original post by Jam.123

It was so difficult. What did u guys get for the question with the equation with a lot of squares, and you had to work out the number of real roots?
(Original post by kgeorge_c17)It was so difficult. What did u guys get for the question with the equation with a lot of squares, and you had to work out the number of real roots?

that one ended up being something like -2 +- sqrt 3 and 3 +- sqrt 5 over 2

Though agreed that was a very hard paper there was so much weird wording
Reply 12
Original post by asdfeifneiwrf
Also can someone reply with a link to the thread were people are discussing it I cant seem to find it, I assume tsr is not letting them being created due to pure chaos of having them be online and like thousounds of peoples computers crashing

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7410452
Reply 13
Also can someone reply with a link to the thread were people are discussing it I cant seem to find it, I assume tsr is not letting them being created due to pure chaos of having them be online and like thousounds of peoples computers crashing

bro what is that assumption lol
(Original post by kgeorge_c17)It was so difficult. What did u guys get for the question with the equation with a lot of squares, and you had to work out the number of real roots?

that one ended up being something like -2 +- sqrt 3 and 3 +- sqrt 5 over 2

Though agreed that was a very hard paper there was so much weird wording

I meant the one on the mcqs
Reply 15
Original post by kgeorge_c17
I meant the one on the mcqs

Think I got 7 roots for that one
Original post by Jam.123
Think I got 7 roots for that one

Nice, I think that's right. Also uno the binomial one with coefficient x¹². Apparently the answer was -5*2¹³. Dyu remember what letter that option was?
Reply 17
Original post by normaw

Tell us about ...

Specific course:
GCSE grades:
Any questions:

Specific course: Maths G100
Applying to: Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, Durham, Bristol
GCSE: 999888888877
A-Levels: Predicted A*A*A*A* (Maths, FM, Chem, Phys)
Currently received Bristol and Warwick offers.
Was wondering when Oxford email about whether you get an interview or not.
Original post by Ethan9182
Specific course: Maths G100
Applying to: Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, Durham, Bristol
GCSE: 999888888877
A-Levels: Predicted A*A*A*A* (Maths, FM, Chem, Phys)
Currently received Bristol and Warwick offers.
Was wondering when Oxford email about whether you get an interview or not.

Applied to Imperial and Warwick too! My other ones were Cambridge, LSE and UCL. We have the same A levels and predicteds as well haha
have u started preparing for ur interview?
Reply 19
Are joint honours applicants welcome here?

Quick Reply

Latest