The Student Room Group

Support for maths industrial placement at Southampton/Exeter

Hi, I'd like to hear about people's experiences in finding industrial placements at University of Southampton and University of Exeter whilst on a maths degree. I'm trying to decide which university to firm.

My impression is that Exeter would give a lot of support. Am I right in thinking this? I'm not so sure about how much support there is in reality from Southampton. Does anyone have experience of this? I'd be grateful to hear any further insights.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by laraxh
Hi, I'd like to hear about people's experiences in finding industrial placements at University of Southampton and University of Exeter whilst on a maths degree. I'm trying to decide which university to firm.
My impression is that Exeter would give a lot of support. Am I right in thinking this? I'm not so sure about how much support there is in reality from Southampton. Does anyone have experience of this? I'd be grateful to hear any further insights.

Hey there,

It's fantastic that you're exploring your options for a maths degree with an eye towards industrial placements. While I can't provide specific insights into the experiences at University of Southampton and University of Exeter, I can share some general perspectives.

Most Universities have a dedicated career support staff for your course or school. At Salford, I receive emails nearly every week about new placement and graduate positions relevant to my course (computer science). We also have a dedicated careers hub (https://www.salford.ac.uk/careers) where students can get information on interviews and CV help. I recommend looking into a similar service at the University you decide on.

Outside of University support it is also crucial to be proactive in finding your own resources and job openings. I managed to secure my placement in December by finding the listing. Some great tools for this are LinkedIn jobs, Gradcracker and prospects amongst others.

Ultimately, gathering insights from current students, alumni, and university resources can provide valuable perspectives to inform your decision. Wishing you all the best as you navigate this exciting journey!

Best Regards,
Arslan University of Salford Student Representative

Quick Reply

Latest