The Student Room Group

Southampton MORSE vs Lancaster MORSE

MORSE is a type of degree that really interests me. I'm applying to Warwick MORSE, but I need a backup just in case.
I know Southampton is a Russell Group university, but the mediocrity of its website UI is kinda putting me off (very irrational way of thinking, I know). So between it and Lancaster, which of the 2 is better for this course and these subjects? And also as a whole, which university is more reputable and would lead to a better experience?
Original post by IM7031
MORSE is a type of degree that really interests me. I'm applying to Warwick MORSE, but I need a backup just in case.
I know Southampton is a Russell Group university, but the mediocrity of its website UI is kinda putting me off (very irrational way of thinking, I know). So between it and Lancaster, which of the 2 is better for this course and these subjects? And also as a whole, which university is more reputable and would lead to a better experience?
Hi @IM7031,

I may be biased, but I can share some insight as a MORSE student at Southampton. The Southampon school of Mathematics is quite large and well equiped with a range of modules to choose from. In first year, students cover a bsis of liner algebra, caculus, statistics, operational research and economics and then in later years, students focus more on applied subjects in stastistic, operational research and finance/economics, but also have the freedom to choose some orf their modules. One of the highlights of the school is the maths student is the maths student centre, which is a great study and social space for both students and faculty (many use the student centre for advice sessions and workshops)

However, you are likely to find that the courses as Southampton and Lancaster are similar, so something else to consider is the city around the university. For me this was a decideing factor when choosing which university I wanted to go to.

Hope this is helpfula and please don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions
Matthew
Student Ambassador
Original post by IM7031

Hi!

I don't study MORSE (I study maths) so I can't offer much insight into the course at Lancaster, however, from friends that study MORSE I know they enjoy the flexibility of the course since in the later years of the degree you can choose a mix of modules across the departments. They are able to choose more or less maths modules (and the same for other departments) depending on their preference. As for Lancaster, I have really enjoyed my time here! The campus has a lot of green spaces as well as cafes, bars and a great range of study spaces. There are always different events going on and the campus has a very friendly feel about it! The campus is just outside of the town itself but there are constant buses between uni and town so it's very easy to get between them. The city gives you a mix of historical architecture, parks and lots of independent shops cafes and pubs! Since it is a smaller city it has a strong sense of community and hosts lots of festivals, events and markets throughout the year.

I hope this is useful, I'm happy to answer any questions you have about Lancaster! :smile:
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest