The Student Room Group

A2 Politics Option D: Global Political Issues. Unit 3 and 4.

This is a chat/revision and post-exam speculation thread for Edexcel A2 Politics, Option D: Global Political Issues (both units).

Exam Dates

Spoiler

I did Unit 3 in January, didn't want too - I dislike revision over Christmas and I hardly revised and came out with a B (70 exactly), I need an A to get into University, so yeah. Unit 4 seems fine, minus the Ecology Environment topic I dislike that a lot.

Any specific questions welcome.

I'll begin with a question;

What can they ask you about the UN?
I know about Security Council Reform, is that all they can ask you or can they ask you about the UN being obsolete? Little bit confused by that...

Thanks, and let the chat commence!

PS: I suggest any answers to questions, if they are long, should be put in spoilers just to keep the thread neat, rather than a mass of text which takes ages to scroll through.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I did this exam in January and managed to get 70% as well! Not too pleased, so retaking it on the 13th, as well as Unit 4.

Anyway, do you really think that they will ask a question on the UN again? They had a 45 marker last summer and one in Jan, but not one in Jan 2010.

I reckon China may come up again though, or perhaps another upcoming superpower?
Reply 2
I posted this on the other thread about 4D, and wondered if there were any opinions here:

I found a couple of the questions oddly worded - the fact that globalisation was a unit 3 topic, and the focus of the question (obviously alongside unit 4's poverty), but this wa actually to my advntage, being better at unit 3 than 4.

the problem arose over one of the 15 markers; "what are the criticisms of economically centred development?"
Having spoken to 2 other people about this, all three of us seem to disagree over the definition of "development".

One of my friends wrote about countries' progression (such as China) focusing less on human rights and (such as Zimbabwe) focusing less on rule of law, and focusing instead on the economic side. My other friend said that he wrote about the World Bank and IMF's economically centred development policies for countries, while I wrote about aid and its contribution to the developing world.
My teachers said all three of these were feasible answers, and the Wikipedia entry's definition for "Overseas development" (as it was unspecified whether the development was local or overseas, from whom to whom) encompasses all of these things.

Help?!
Anyone else answer this question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending