The Student Room Group

A level biology without taking a course

HI,
I would like to study and complete the A level biology course but self study, without having to pay money for a course where most of the text can be found in books and off the internet. I have used a distance learning course before and found them very unhelpful and I found more use from the recommended text book than the course material, which could have saved me a lot of money.
Has anyone done or is doing this? Is it a feasible thing to do? Which exam board would be better to use doing it this way? What things do I need to consider? Do all exam boards have the practical element included? Any book recommendations?
I know i will need to find my own exam centre, but i'm hoping this shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks,
Nick
Reply 1
Original post by Bongo Bigggins
HI,......

If you are going to do the A-Level AQA Biology course I'd use these notes:
http://www.studentcreche.co.uk/showthread.php/548-AQA-Biol1-?Biol2-Biol4-and-Biol5-Revision?-Notes
They are very good and correct. I'm predicted an A* overall and I got a very high A in AS. So I'd really recommend these!

The textbook that is recommended is wrong and crap for the Genetics on Unit 5 and on many others things.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
I am doing this. I have just done the first two written exams now, and it went really well I think! I only studied for about 10 days for each exam, but scored around 85% on all the practise papers I did (I do have other scientific background, though).

I just emailed local high schools to ask if they accepted private candidates and went with the one that sent the most helpful reply. I had to pay about £60 for the first two exam (including their admin fee).

The problem is they will not take private candidates for practical exams, but there are other places where you can do that (e.g. Campbell Harris in London, at a cost of about £350 per unit I think).

I am doing Unit 4 in Jan 2012 and Unit 5 in June 2012, and the two practical exams (Units 3 and 6) in APril 2012. I could have done it all in one year had I only managed to find all the information in time, but nevermind as there is no rush for me.

I used the textbook by Glenn Poole (or similar) and the CRP(?) revision guide, and downloaded past papers from the AQA website.

Hope this helps and good luck!!
Hi Bongo!

I totally agree with you than you shouldn't waste money on things you can accomplish on your own.

If you are planning to do the Cambridge syllabus, I believe the www.igcsebiology.co.uk site will be helpful to you.

There, you can post all your questions and concerns and find genuine help and advice.

Best wishes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending