To understand my abilities better, here are my gcse grades

Biology-9
Chem- 8 (remark)
Physics-9
Maths- 6

Its been troubling me alot for the past few days,
Would it be better for me to pick A-Level Biology, Chemistry, Maths or
Alevel Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and AS Maths

I've been trying to weigh up the pros and cons or which one I should pick, but I'm really confused and don't know which one to pick. Would I be able to manage my time better with the first option, or as I didnt do well in maths, should I just pick the second option.

I'd also like to understand how difficult the courses are and whether it would be managable to pick all 3 sciences. Thank you for answering my questions.
Original post by rysua

Biology-9
Chem- 8 (remark)
Physics-9
Maths- 6

I've been trying to weigh up the pros and cons or which one I should pick, but I'm really confused and don't know which one to pick. Would I be able to manage my time better with the first option, or as I didnt do well in maths, should I just pick the second option.

I'd also like to understand how difficult the courses are and whether it would be managable to pick all 3 sciences. Thank you for answering my questions.

From my understanding, A-level maths is very tough and if you don't understand all the content from GCSE, you would potentially struggle with a lot of the course. At the same time though, physics is also heavily maths based so it is really up to you. Do you know what you want to do after A-levels?
Reply 2
My advice ( and obviously this is only my opinion) is that you take A level Physics, Chemistry and Biology and don’t do AS maths. I’m not sure what you intend to do after A levels but those three A levels are a very common combination which keeps lots of doors open to you. It is perfectly possible to do A level Physics without taking AS or A level Maths. It seems you are set on taking Chemistry and Biology so the only query is over Physics ( with or without AS maths) or Maths. With a 9 in Phyics and a6 in maths , I think it would be wiser to take Physics. You don’t need to take more than 3 Alevels, it won’t benefit you in any way to get into uni and will spread you too thin so you are less likely to get the best grades that you can get.

Good luck with your choice 😊
Reply 3
Original post by CAG575
My advice ( and obviously this is only my opinion) is that you take A level Physics, Chemistry and Biology and don’t do AS maths. I’m not sure what you intend to do after A levels but those three A levels are a very common combination which keeps lots of doors open to you. It is perfectly possible to do A level Physics without taking AS or A level Maths. It seems you are set on taking Chemistry and Biology so the only query is over Physics ( with or without AS maths) or Maths. With a 9 in Phyics and a6 in maths , I think it would be wiser to take Physics. You don’t need to take more than 3 Alevels, it won’t benefit you in any way to get into uni and will spread you too thin so you are less likely to get the best grades that you can get.

Good luck with your choice 😊

thats the major issue, our school says we have to take as maths, but if i drop as maths would it be managable and okay. ty for your advice its really helped me so much
Reply 4
If your school says that you have to take AS maths to take Physics then maybe you have no choice if that is their policy. It is very possible to do A level Physics without ALevel or AS maths ( I know plenty of people who have done so). A level maths is hard though so if you got a 6 at GCSE it would not usually be recommended to take A level maths. Saying that, though, it would prob ly not usually be recommended to take A level Physics with a 6 in gcse maths. It is , however, very unusual ( in my experience) to get a 9 in Physics and a 6 in Maths. Is there a completely different A level you could do instead of Physics or Maths?
Original post by rysua

Biology-9
Chem- 8 (remark)
Physics-9
Maths- 6

Have you any thoughts about what you want to do after A levels? Any degrees/careers in mind?

Quick Reply

Latest