The Student Room Group

cambridge biological natural sciences

im doing bio, chem, psych for a levels.
i have no maths.

how much of a disadvantage will i be at applying of natsci? is it even worth me bothering?
Reply 1
Original post by indizino
im doing bio, chem, psych for a levels.
i have no maths.

how much of a disadvantage will i be at applying of natsci? is it even worth me bothering?

hmmm. Cambridge natural science is very STEM based and their application process reflects this. Whilst you do meet the entry requirements It would be heavily advisable to pick up maths instead of psychology or maths as an AS level, as outlined in their entry reuirements. If you dont do this but still decide to pursue it then Cambridge says "If you don’t have A Level Mathematics, you’re required to complete some preparatory work before the start of the course and must take Mathematical Biology as your mathematics subject in Year 1." So it seems as though you are highly disadvantaged by not taking maths and unless you decide to pick it up at AS i would search for other universities or apply for a different course such as biochemistry or medicine
I don't think it's realistic. There isn't even an official route for someone with no maths anymore, and they usually presuppose at least AS-ish maths for the mathematical biology option for your first year papers (you must do one maths paper in first year). In principle they do sometimes admit those without A-level Maths but they require preparation in the summer before going up, and you are realistically making yourself much less competitive as I expect you'd do less well in the NSAA and potentially in interview.

I would recommend considering other courses elsewhere.
Original post by y0sef
hmmm. Cambridge natural science is very STEM based and their application process reflects this. Whilst you do meet the entry requirements It would be heavily advisable to pick up maths instead of psychology or maths as an AS level, as outlined in their entry reuirements. If you dont do this but still decide to pursue it then Cambridge says "If you don’t have A Level Mathematics, you’re required to complete some preparatory work before the start of the course and must take Mathematical Biology as your mathematics subject in Year 1." So it seems as though you are highly disadvantaged by not taking maths and unless you decide to pick it up at AS i would search for other universities or apply for a different course such as biochemistry or medicine

i forgot to mention, i am in year 13 so im kinda stuck with bio, chem, and psychology. in hindsight, if i knew natsci existed (or that cambridge was even a choice for me) i would have picked bio, chem, maths, and physics. oh well, here we are.

i am taking a gap year regardless of what happens and applying then. if i take maths a level during my gap year would i be at less of a disadvantage?
Hi there!

It's not impossible to be made an offer without either Maths or Physics as a third subject to Biology and Chemistry, but only a handful of applicants without a third science or maths subject were made an offer last year, so it's fairly unlikely. One reason for this is the compulsory Maths section of the NSAA. Without A level Maths, it's much harder to do well on this section. There are some things you can do: look over GCSE-level content and make sure you understand as much as possible and ask your teachers for additional help where necessary, try looking over some A Level Maths content, or take up Core Maths if your school allows. Cambridge would only be one of five choices but it's certainly worth bearing in mind that you'd have to do a Maths module in your first year.
Original post by indizino
i forgot to mention, i am in year 13 so im kinda stuck with bio, chem, and psychology. in hindsight, if i knew natsci existed (or that cambridge was even a choice for me) i would have picked bio, chem, maths, and physics. oh well, here we are.

i am taking a gap year regardless of what happens and applying then. if i take maths a level during my gap year would i be at less of a disadvantage?

If you're doing a gap year either way, it might make sense to take A level maths in your gap year (it's very achievable in one year even alongside other subjects). It would benefit your application, but not for the NSAA as Peterhouse Admissions says.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
I don't think it's realistic. There isn't even an official route for someone with no maths anymore, and they usually presuppose at least AS-ish maths for the mathematical biology option for your first year papers (you must do one maths paper in first year). In principle they do sometimes admit those without A-level Maths but they require preparation in the summer before going up, and you are realistically making yourself much less competitive as I expect you'd do less well in the NSAA and potentially in interview.

I would recommend considering other courses elsewhere.

There isnt an official route, but I think that some colleges, do have special routes for if maths wasnt taken. I believe its smth like an intensive 5 week maths thing, teaching you the statistics you need to take the biological maths tripos. I may be wrong on this however
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending