The Student Room Group

Official CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS Appreciation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Epicurean
But does that include you supporting people's right to smoke in public places?

As long as it's not confined places where it poses a reasonably significant health risk to others.

Stand aside, everyone. The real saviour of Britain is here.
Haha
Original post by Expert #7451

Stand aside, everyone. The real saviour of Britain is here.

:puke:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by perspiracious
:puke:

There is something almost Hitlerite about those mad staring eyes and the ranting, logically unrelated stream of reactionary twaddle dressed up as 'opinions'.

I wonder how CH could bear to be with PH? Oh, hang on. Er...
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There is something almost Hitlerite about those mad staring eyes and the ranting, logically unrelated stream of reactionary twaddle dressed up as 'opinions'.

I wonder how CH could bear to be with PH? Oh, hang on. Er...

A retired journalist with none of the charisma of his brother: writing on a "The Mail On Sunday" blog filled with never-ending trifle of his brother, does tell you a lot.
Original post by perspiracious
A retired journalist with none of the charisma of his brother: writing on a "The Mail On Sunday" blog filled with never-ending trifle of his brother, does tell you a lot.

Hitler was also extremely charismatic.

Peter is merely exposing his brother for what he was. An eloquent entertainer.
Peter's a goon.
Original post by EdCohen
Hitler was also extremely charismatic.

Peter is merely exposing his brother for what he was. An eloquent entertainer.

Something that Peter should aspire to be, in order to compensate for his nonsense.
Original post by Stalin
Peter's a goon.

Hail Stalin!
Hi, I'm trying to find the source for something that Hitchens claimed in his book. It's probably a long shot as no one has posted here in a while but this is bugging me. I've started reading 'God Is Not Great' by Christopher Hitchens and in 'Chapter Three: A Short Digression On The Pig; or, Why Heaven Hates Ham', he states:

The government of India even offered to import and protect all the cattle facing slaughter as a result of the bovine encephalitic, or "mad cow," plague that swept Europe in the 1990s

Can anyone help me out with a link to a news story or another source for this?
Original post by B-Man.
Hi, I'm trying to find the source for something that Hitchens claimed in his book. It's probably a long shot as no one has posted here in a while but this is bugging me. I've started reading 'God Is Not Great' by Christopher Hitchens and in 'Chapter Three: A Short Digression On The Pig; or, Why Heaven Hates Ham', he states:

I remember reading that line and wondering if it was true. I'm quite good at deep Google searches, but I couldn't find anything immediately. I guess an archive search of old newspapers at around that time would be the way forwards, It's quite complicated to use on a serious basis, but the British Newspaper Archive is good.
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

A lot of stuff comes up now on Google about how India gets the blame for having started BSE via the importation of human remains in bonemeal purchased decades ago from India, true or not. Also BSE is apparently rife in India now, despite government denials.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/comment/mad-cow-denial-no-way-to-treat-disease/65047.html
Original post by B-Man.

It seems it was not the Indian government but a radical Hindu group

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/04/03/world/hindus-offer-home-for-cows.html
Original post by dandlion
It seems it was not the Indian government but a radical Hindu group

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/04/03/world/hindus-offer-home-for-cows.html

Good spot! :smile:
Peter is utterly wrong on almost everything.

Christopher Hitchens was one of the pre-eminent political commentators and orators of our time.

I feel cheated to have been robbed of the chance to have met him after discovering him fairly late (around September 11).
Original post by DarkSenrine
Peter is utterly wrong on almost everything.

Christopher Hitchens was one of the pre-eminent political commentators and orators of our time.

I feel cheated to have been robbed of the chance to have met him after discovering him fairly late (around September 11).

I just find with Peter that he sometimes seems to start in a promising way or with what sounds like it may be an interesting line of argument, but it quickly descends into poisonous, rambling or incoherent rhetoric, repetitively banging on about obscure or illogical issues. He really loses it a lot of the time. CH was far, far more focused.
Peter Hitchens was British. Christopher Hitchens was American. That is the difference. Peter wants to maintain Britain, Christopher wanted to destroy it.
Blast, I thought this was a recent thread...
Original post by The Dictator
Blast, I thought this was a recent thread...

No reason why it can't continue, other than he died. :sad:
So what do you think the hitch would have been saying about the current state of ISIS etc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending