The Student Room Group

'Alternative' people are always failures.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sloanegirl
I suppose failure is a strong word, they are just less successful.

I like alternative styles and cultures etc but I would just like to ask why these people (who are different but still nice people eg emos, goths, hippies, eccentrics) not super happy and super successful.

I have never ever seen a happy normal family that consists of alternative identities as the parents. On top of that alternative styles (such as gothic, metal etc) all have music and culture which always talks about depression, sadness, how life is such a bitch and how no one understands. Maybe if these people were more accepting of culture and society instead of being so up themeselves and thinking the world is against them then it would all be less **** and they too would be successful. They are like bitter sour failures trapped in a teenage angst where they are disabling themselves from success.

You cannot deny that mainstream happy normal people find happiness and success, this alternative stuff often leads to a vicious cycle which is impossible to escape.

ps. The only 'successful' alternative person I've heard of off'd himself in april of 94

edit: why they neg?? see told you you cant handle the reality. If someone is calling you a failure DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Don't just go off and listen to lamb of god and hat eon the world.

Define successful. Just because someone doesn't have a top job and a great income doesn't mean they aren't successful. Someone can have very little and be happy, kind, love other people, and if they enjoy life I would say they are successful. Conversely, there are people who are loaded, beautiful houses, but they complain about life and hate everything/are rude. I would say they are not successful.

Also, you would be surprised at the amount of middle class hockey moms or toffs who were "alternative" back in their day. Age and a comfortable life tends to mellow people out quite a bit.
Reply 21
Original post by im so academic
So everyone should just ****ing conform?

**** that, if you want to be a pathetic "normal" person, so be it.

But I don't see why everyone else should.

I respect goths, hippies, eccentrics (especially) than normal people who rather be part of the majority than be themselves.

The thing is, often these 'non-conformist' groups require a lot more conforming than 'normality' does. Here in Newcastle we have a place where all these people hang out and they're all clones of each other, dark hair with random colours in it, black clothing, eye make-up, everyone telling everyone else that they're bi-sexual... The idea that they think of themselves as special and unique individuals is laughable.

Its a very teenage thing for people to rant at 'the majority' who supposedly all desperately conform to resemble some sort of trashy american high school movie. I would say I'm quite normal-ish and I can't really say I've ever felt myself actively conforming to some sort of unspoken societal rule.

Nothing against such groups mind, its just annoying when they think anyone who doesn't copy their oh so random ways and colourful hair is a lifeless drone with no personality because 'the man' stole it.
Reply 22
What the **** are you talking about? Seriously? You make about as much sense as a penguin in the Sahara.

"Alternative" and "normal" my ass... so if you're right, from what I can distinguish from the rambling in the OP, why is it that everyone I know considered "alternative" - i.e. different/ unusual interests, lack of the perfect family life (whether it be divorced parents or something) are the strongest, most interesting people I know and are actually doing well with their lives, and the people who you would consider "normal" are boring, whiny little upper-middle class kids with no interests outside drinking, dossing at university and leeching off mummy and daddy with no intention of developing their own personality?
and what pray tell would make you happy...im so academic? I am not actively criticising and I am sorry if it comes across like that. I am merely making an observation (which of course is limited and bias to my experience and exposure to the world). :hand:

It's quite complicated for me to answer that question, and quite personal, so if you really want to know, PM me and realise that people have different notions of "happiness".
Reply 24

I like alternative styles and cultures etc but I would just like to ask why these people (who are different but still nice people eg emos, goths, hippies, eccentrics) not super happy and super successful.

I have never ever seen a happy normal family that consists of alternative identities as the parents. On top of that alternative styles (such as gothic, metal etc) all have music and culture which always talks about depression, sadness, how life is such a bitch and how no one understands. Maybe if these people were more accepting of culture and society instead of being so up themeselves and thinking the world is against them then it would all be less **** and they too would be successful. They are like bitter sour failures trapped in a teenage angst where they are disabling themselves from success.

You cannot deny that mainstream happy normal people find happiness and success, this alternative stuff often leads to a vicious cycle which is impossible to escape.

ps. The only 'successful' alternative person I've heard of off'd himself in april of 94

edit: why they neg?? see told you you cant handle the reality. If someone is calling you a failure DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Don't just go off and listen to lamb of god and hat eon the world.

Woah the generalisations here are overwhelming. I would not say I was a failure, I am in fact doing quite well for myself and have a lot going for me yet I enjoy some metal music. Just because one devotes themselves to a certain type of music or its surrounding culture does not mean they sit around cutting themselves, moping about how they cannot get some poonani and talking about how crappy the world is. Sure, some people do but that is generally the minority and it is usually mostly the fake people who feel they have to adhere to such actions.
>implying sadness etc is the root of being alternative
>implying success is measurable in monetary gains and degrees
>implying you are not begging for those precious red gems!

These people usually start crying about a tiny little thing that happend to them. This usually happens at about 13/14 so basically theyre cry babies really. They then get sucked into this emo/goth culture where they think theyre right and better than everyone else even though theyre not so they only listen to other emos and talk about taking drugs/suicide etc. They have now lost all their non emo friends and they also do not how to communicate normally with people. This lack of communication/lonerism holds them back all because they are wimps who cant adapt to certain situations and just cry about tiny things for the rest of their life. They screw themselves up.
Original post by 04ghicks
The thing is, often these 'non-conformist' groups require a lot more conforming than 'normality' does. Here in Newcastle we have a place where all these people hang out and they're all clones of each other, dark hair with random colours in it, black clothing, eye make-up, everyone telling everyone else that they're bi-sexual... The idea that they think of themselves as special and unique individuals is laughable.

Its a very teenage thing for people to rant at 'the majority' who supposedly all desperately conform to resemble some sort of trashy american high school movie. I would say I'm quite normal-ish and I can't really say I've ever felt myself actively conforming to some sort of unspoken societal rule.

Nothing against such groups mind, its just annoying when they think anyone who doesn't copy their oh so random ways and colourful hair is a lifeless drone with no personality because 'the man' stole it.

Still conformist. What you wear =/= alternative. It's your opinions, aspirations, goals and viewpoints. What do you as a person.

Wearing a cloth over your head or a tattoo on your arm does not make you "alternative".

It's about what you think and whether you put that into action.
A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.
Such a weird little view of success.

So who's more successful, the millionaire members of My Chemical Romance (not that I like that band, just an example) or Mr. Smith down the road earning 40k a year and waiting for retirement, unhappy with his wife and life?
I just think you need to wake and and realise that we all live by the 'norms' and are still successful WHICH IS HARD. It's easy to lock yourself in your room and think the whole world is against you and that no one understands you. Go outside and stop being a pussy.

Yes I think you are alternative because you display the standard alternative trait of rejecting reality and dismissing people like me who speak the truth as 'the man'

Watch School of Rock or Gulliver Travels (with Jack Black) that man is a fine example of alternative failures. Yes he is successful but that is through cashing in on his alternativeness. Lots of ugly, fat, hairy, unhealthy men can identify with him. Gee well done Jack Black.

Hmm well okay, what do you regard as being 'successful'? I'm off to a brilliant red-brick university to study a highly competitive course thank you very much :smile: I don't lock myself in my room thinking that the world is against me too much either...

I think that you're confused as to what 'alternative' actually means. For instance, Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks etc would have been regarded as 'alternative' but I (and countless others) believe that their input in the black civil rights movement was intrinsic to its success therefore they were successes. Would you have told them to stop being 'pussies' and accept the 'real' world? Social revolution is often fueled by 'alternative' people.

I'd argue that most writers, actors and musicians are 'alternative' too. When you put it into perspective, being 'alternative' in a lot of cases actually equates to success.

For instance, here is something that we can both relate to. When you're reading tips on how to write a personal statement, what do universities want? For you to stand out, to be alternative.

'Success' means different things to different people also, so just bear that in mind.

This point here:
'Yes he is successful but that is through cashing in on his alternativeness'...You've just agreed that not all 'alternative' people are failures.

I don't know what you expect to achieve from this thread but it's been a nice break from revision :biggrin:
My husband and I are "alternative" (though we don't always wear alternative stuff, we are very much into rock music and do get dressed up alternatively when we go somewhere that calls for it).

We have three fantastic kids - the eldest is the top of her class at school (and it's not a rubbish school, it's a beacon school) for both reading and maths.

We have a house (owned outright - no mortgage, not renting)
We have a car

okay I admit we're CURRENTLY not working but it's a temporary situation due to my husband's mobility problems, it's not a long term way of life. My husband is a very skilled computer technician. Once he has had his operation and regained some mobility he's going to be looking for a job again, and I will also be finding work once our youngest child starts primary school. Our last job was both being self employed as managing directors of our own company.

Not really sure where the hell you're getting your absolutely ridiculous assumptions about alternative people from, but they're so stupid it's laughable.

Oh and no, nobody in our house is depressed, miserable, wallowing in self pity, or any other such crap. We're a very happy cheerful family thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by wactm
Because tattoos make you an emo? Im 18 years old, earn more than my parents, am very happy and intend to get both full sleeves and my back done in the next four years.

Stop being ignorant.

Are your parents on the dole by any chance?
Reply 33
Watch School of Rock or Gulliver Travels (with Jack Black) that man is a fine example of alternative failures. Yes he is successful but that is through cashing in on his alternativeness. Lots of ugly, fat, hairy, unhealthy men can identify with him. Gee well done Jack Black.

Therefore, you could also say that it was his alternativeness that made him successful so they're clearly not always 'failures'.

Even so, it depends on the individual's view of what 'success' actually is.

Ironic, much?
Original post by im so academic
So everyone should just ****ing conform?

**** that, if you want to be a pathetic "normal" person, so be it.

But I don't see why everyone else should.

I respect goths, hippies, eccentrics (especially) than normal people who rather be part of the majority than be themselves.

Oh please. If you define yourself by reference to a subculture then you are actually far more of a conformist than someone who hasn't even considered the issue but happens to be 'mainstream'.

Goths, Hippies - they are reacting against the system and that is every bit as limited a stance to take as supporting the system. The system is still the thing that defines them - even more so as they are defining themselves in a negative, reactionary way

True individuals can't be neatly labelled, aren't obviously at odds with another point of view and don't belong to a sub-culture.

You're so ignorant. A failure in your eyes could be success in theirs. Alternative people don't exist anyway, they're only people who aren't boring and don't want to live a typical life cause it sounds as boring as hell and means your life was decided before you left the womb!
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
My husband and I are "alternative" (though we don't always wear alternative stuff, we are very much into rock music and do get dressed up alternatively when we go somewhere that calls for it).

We have three fantastic kids - the eldest is the top of her class at school (and it's not a rubbish school, it's a beacon school) for both reading and maths.

We have a house (owned outright - no mortgage, not renting)
We have a car

okay I admit we're CURRENTLY not working but it's a temporary situation due to my husband's mobility problems, it's not a long term way of life. My husband is a very skilled computer technician. Once he has had his operation and regained some mobility he's going to be looking for a job again, and I will also be finding work once our youngest child starts primary school. Our last job was both being self employed as managing directors of our own company.

Not really sure where the hell you're getting your absolutely ridiculous assumptions about alternative people from, but they're so stupid it's laughable.

Oh and no, nobody in our house is depressed, miserable, wallowing in self pity, or any other such crap. We're a very happy cheerful family thanks.

A dolee family with 3 kids. Yep that sounds like success alright.
Reply 37
Yeah, cos all the musicians in the world are 'normal'.....
Original post by Mr Einstein
You're so ignorant. A failure in your eyes could be success in theirs. Alternative people don't exist anyway, they're only people who aren't boring and don't want to live a typical life cause it sounds as boring as hell and means your life was decided before you left the womb!

...and yet they all have minimum wage jobs in fast food restaurants (or claim the dole) and constantly whinge about how miserable existance is.
Original post by HistoryRepeating
Oh please. If you define yourself by reference to a subculture then you are actually far more of a conformist than someone who hasn't even considered the issue but happens to be 'mainstream'.

Goths, Hippies - they are reacting against the system and that is every bit as limited a stance to take as supporting the system. The system is still the thing that defines them - even more so as they are defining themselves in a negative, reactionary way

True individuals can't be neatly labelled, aren't obviously at odds with another point of view and don't belong to a sub-culture.

Excuse me? I ****ing don't belong to a sub-culture thank you very much.

If you really want to know, I definite individuality by what you think and what you do, not ****e like your ethnicity, your nationality, your gender, your clothing, your occupation etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending