The Student Room Group

OCR MEI C4 - June 13th 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Reminisce
cot^2(t)-2cot(t)=0

You multiplied everything in line two by tan^3(t)? That's just gonna generate other results. Substitute t = 0 (tan(t) = 0) into the original:

cosec^2(x) = 1 + 2cotx

It doesn't work.

I cross multiplied.
Original post by emyholdem
For the cosec question i got theta to equal -180, 0, 180, and around 50ish, and -130ish.

The reason i got theta=0 is

it was along the lines of...

cot^2(t)-cot(t)=0

I got to this bit and then factorised

cot(t) [(cot(t) - 1]

so cot(t) = 0 or cot(t) =1

cot(t) = cos(t)/sin(t) so cos(t) = 0 (as denominator cannot =0) so t= -90, 90

then the other one

cot(t) = 1 so cos(t)/sin(t) = 1, so sin(t)/cos(t) = 1, so tan(t) = 1, so t = -135, 45

how many marks do you reckon i'll get?
Okay for those who put 180, 0, -180, 90 or -90,

try ALL of them in the original equation:

cosec^2(x) = 1 + 2cot(x)

They don't work.
Reply 383
Okay for those who put 180, 0, -180, 90 or -90,

try ALL of them in the original equation:

cosec^2(x) = 1 + 2cot(x)

They don't work.

How many marks are lost for extra answers?
Reply 384
i hated that paper...SO BAD!! i reckon i got somewhere around 70%...luckily i only need an average of 70% in both s2 and this and im also retaking c3 to boost up my mark.

for the vectors question, anyone know what the the vector of the horizontal plane was?? and how do you prove something is a trapezium??

one more question...you reckon we'll get any marks if we did if, for the table, we did 1% instead of 0.1%? seriously annoyed about that, should have checked more carefully
Reply 385
I thought the paper was okayy, paper A was fine, panicked a bit when i first saw 'coplanar' but realised it just meant on the same plane and managed to prove it was a trapezium fine. Thought the comprehension was a bit nasty, i havent done stats since last year and couldnt remember how to do question 2, tried doing nCr/nPr and put a final answer as 5000-and something. Knew it was too small though :/ i thought the rest of it was fine, the tables were nice as was the venn diagram :smile:
Reply 386
Everything is right apart from tanx = 0, it orginally had cotx = 0 you can't reciprocal 0.

yup that's right even though i did that in the exam :/ fml
Reply 387
Original post by tsr4life
i hated that paper...SO BAD!! i reckon i got somewhere around 70%...luckily i only need an average of 70% in both s2 and this and im also retaking c3 to boost up my mark.

for the vectors question, anyone know what the the vector of the horizontal plane was?? and how do you prove something is a trapezium??

one more question...you reckon we'll get any marks if we did if, for the table, we did 1% instead of 0.1%? seriously annoyed about that, should have checked more carefully

I think to get the vector for the horizontal you had to choose any two points with the same z co-ordinate?
Original post by bear54
How many marks are lost for extra answers?

1 most likely, perhaps 2

It seemed deliberate to catch people out so I wouldn't think they'd let people off but you never know...
Original post by englica
I think to get the vector for the horizontal you had to choose any two points with the same z co-ordinate?

To be honest (0,0,1) would do.

(I assume you mean the question on finding the angle between two planes where you use the normals)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 390
To be honest (0,0,1) would do.

Wouldn't it be (1,1,0) though?
Original post by luke-1234

Look at my edit, I forgot to clarify :smile:
Reply 392
lol i got vector of horizontal plane completely wrong, think i put (-4,0,0) :/
Reply 393
Original post by luke-1234

Thats what i put, both would give the correct answer although only by complete fluke. however those that used (0,0,1) would have to do 180-their answer.

Only by complete fluke.
Thats what i put, both would give the correct answer although only by complete fluke. however those that used (0,0,1) would have to do 180-their answer.

Only by complete fluke.

Not really, two normals have an angle equal to the angle between two directions of the planes. i.e. both would be fine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 395
Which answer is the fluke?
Reply 396

Only by complete fluke.

I did this- would I get the marks?
I think overall it was pretty tough paper, but hopefully I did well enough.
I'm a bit annoyed about the comprehension PIN number combination question, where I was out by one, and also I made a stupid error on the last question on the paper.
Reply 397
the dot product i calculated was (1,1,-2).(1,1,0). which gives 2.

However those that calculate (1,1,-2).(0.0.1) would get -2.

Those who got -2 would need to minus their angle from 180 i remember talking about it with my teacher.
Did the parametric's question want a gradient + co-ord or just gradient?
Reply 399
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Did the parametric's question want a gradient + co-ord or just gradient?

Both.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending