The Student Room Group

Mechanics vs decision maths: which one's 'better'?

I'm starting A2 in September and I've done C1, C2 and S1 and I want to know which module I should pick, mechanics or decision maths? (S2 is out of the question - I don't like statistics.)

So which one's 'easier', mechanics or decision maths?
I understand mechanics is mainly about physics and stuff like that and I have a sketchy understanding that decision maths is about solving 'puzzles' (correct me if I'm wrong.)

So which one floats your boat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mechanics.

That said I'm still not looking forward to my M2 exam =P
Mechanics is better, but Decision maths exams are easier... (although not this summer with OCR setting impossible questions :lolwut:)
Reply 3
I did D1/M1, so I can't compare it with S1 but I found D1 much easier than M1, as someone who finds Physics stuff quite sketchy.

M1 is much more interesting though. I did enjoy M1 more but at the end of the day it's the grade. I only sat M1 a couple of weeks ago so I don't know how "well" that went. It's very easy to get complacent with D1 though, personally. I did like D1 though in fairness, even if everybody else seemed to hate it.

Want something interesting -> M1
Good grade is more important -> D1
Reply 4
Original post by Nymthae
I did D1/M1, so I can't compare it with S1 but I found D1 much easier than M1, as someone who finds Physics stuff quite sketchy.

M1 is much more interesting though. I did enjoy M1 more but at the end of the day it's the grade. I only sat M1 a couple of weeks ago so I don't know how "well" that went. It's very easy to get complacent with D1 though, personally. I did like D1 though in fairness, even if everybody else seemed to hate it.

Want something interesting -> M1
Good grade is more important -> D1

I'm not sure I'd agree with you there. Although D1 is conceptually easy from what I've heard it's actually quite difficult to get marks on the exam. It also has very high grade boundaries which means there isn't much room for error in the exam.

Mechanics on the other hand. While conceptually more challenging the exam is ussually alright.
Original post by qasidb
I'm starting A2 in September and I've done C1, C2 and S1 and I want to know which module I should pick, mechanics or decision maths? (S2 is out of the question - I don't like statistics.)

I understand mechanics is mainly about physics and stuff like that and I have a sketchy understanding that decision maths is about solving 'puzzles' (correct me if I'm wrong.)

The answer depends on what you want.

If you are planning to study Physics or Mechanical Engineering, you should definitely pick Mechanics.

I haven't taken any decision modules yet, but from what I heard from other people, decision maths is something you should pick for an easy A.

I personally think that both are interesting modules, but I'd definitely recommend you to pick Mechanics. It's challenging and fun, specially when you get the hang of it.
Reply 6
Choose:

Easy= D1
Hard = M1
Reply 7
Original post by jit987
Choose:

Easy= D1
Hard = M1

Maybe in your experience, but I personally got 67/100 in my first D1 exam, 77/100 in my retake, and 71/100 in D2. On the other hand I got 98/100 in M1, and I can feel M2 will be at the very least an A, possibly an A* (unless I really fudge up).
That said I will doing Physics at uni, so mechanics is quite "natural" for me.
Reply 8
Original post by astroju
Maybe in your experience, but I personally got 67/100 in my first D1 exam, 77/100 in my retake, and 71/100 in D2. On the other hand I got 98/100 in M1, and I can feel M2 will be at the very least an A, possibly an A* (unless I really fudge up).
That said I will doing Physics at uni, so mechanics is quite "natural" for me.

Not in my experience, but as a whole. As a person whose interest lies in Physics makes me think you must enjoy Mechanics whereas students on average won't.
Reply 9
Wow, there's so many people saying that mechanics is easier
and so many saying decision is easier.

I'm not really sure what I want to be (my career) but maybe an accountant?
Reply 10
Pick M1 if you have any self-respect.
Reply 11
I did D1 and i personally really enjoyed it because revising for it because it was a break from revising C3 (which i was doing at the same time) and the majority of it is really easy! However the grade boundaries are really high and there aren't many method marks. This means if you make a mistake, its likely to cost you a lot of the marks in that question. I also found it difficult to do it within the time boundaries because a lot of the questions are quite time consuming.

I want to be an accountant as well and as far as i can tell neither M1 or D1 will help much, neither will a maths A-level as all of the accountants i've talked to say it isn't neccasary as they mainly use calculators, not the equation for a line xD A maths a-level does help to prove your clever, logical, numbers based mind though and the higher the grade the better. Because of this i suggest M1 because as far as i know it'll have lower mark boundaries, which although it means its probably harder its sounds like people enjoy it anyway and it'll be more challenging.

Which ever one you chose your just gunna have to be motivated to revise for it :smile: and tbh i think both sound a lot more fun than C3
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Mechanics is fun. Decision is soul-destroying.
Reply 13
Coming from someone who hasn't done any decision or statistics, just straight mechanics 1 to 4, I'd definitely recommend doing mechanics. It can be conceptually challenging (M4 more so than any core and further papers in my opinion) but it's certainly fun and gives real insight into how things move and operate around you. The amount of interesting content perhaps balances out the difficulty, given you'll likely be willing to spend more time on really wanting to understand it.
Reply 14
Original post by qasidb

D1 is probably one of the most boring and tedious Maths modules that I have ever encountered. It's pretty easy though, and if you want to go into Computer Science then the algorithms are useful I suppose.

I'd say M1. For sure.
Reply 15
Original post by qasidb

I certainly found D1 A LOT easier than M1, but I'm not really into the physic-y side of maths but it depends on your interests :smile:
Reply 16
My 6th form never gave us the choice; I did S1 at AS and D1 this year.
I want to doing engineering at uni though so it wasn't ideal, M1 probably would have been better.

I found D1 incredibly easy though, MUCH more so than S1. That said, there were people in my class that really struggled with D1... so it depends on what you want to do really. Each person finds different stuff difficult.
Reply 17
Original post by limetang
I'm not sure I'd agree with you there. Although D1 is conceptually easy from what I've heard it's actually quite difficult to get marks on the exam. It also has very high grade boundaries which means there isn't much room for error in the exam.

Mechanics on the other hand. While conceptually more challenging the exam is ussually alright.

D1 probably has one of the lowest grade boundaries out of all modules. Jan 11 was 50 for an A, the lowest has been 47, with the highest about 56.

OP D1 is hard to get 100%, but easier to get 90+ than mechanics. Whereas if your good at mechanics, you will ace it. Decision just had silly little 1 or 2 mark questions that catch you out sometimes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
equally ****. D1's easier and you often make a mistake of neglecting it during revision as a result of this
Reply 19
I personally can't stand D1. From the start of sixth form I've done it four times and scored a highest mark of 77%. I'm never motivated to revise for it, and I nearly always run out of time in the exam. Only do it if you have to like I did (duh) or if you want to do some sort of computer science I guess. M1 and S1 are both really easy (I've done all 3) and I would choose either of them above them in an instant.

Quick Reply

Latest