The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

I applied for an Access to HE science course, but physics is the main module I want to do, (it's what I want to study at university), but there wasn't enough interest in the subject so it isn't running this year.

Apply again next year, I suppose. :P

(Either that or A Levels).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 201
I know! I got my place way back in december, because last year all the places were taken by the time I got to the college :frown: so it's been a long time waiting for my enrollment lol. I also just found out that the access course is under 16 hours a week in most places? double excitement, as I start my new part time job at the end of august, and was worried about not having enough time to study / get between college and work!
Reply 202
yeah im the same! wel im working now full time and my boss is letting me work as and when i can around my college hours

do you think if i called up or sent an email to the college they could send me a time table? or is it too early?
Reply 203
I think they could give you a vague one probably, but I doubt anything is set until the first week or so when they know exactly who's enrolled and stuff... I'm enrolling in about 10 days, so I'm gonna just ask then so I have a rough idea when it comes to shifts, I'll let you guys know when I do.
but from what I've seen online, it's usually 2 or 3 full days, or a week of half days - suits me fine either way!
I'm not sure if it applies to all Access courses/colleges, but my tutor said that after the first half term all the timetables change.

Not sure why, seems stupid, really. Might be something to keep in mind if you're looking for work to do alongside the course, though. :smile:
Reply 205
hmm, I should be okay, I'm a support worker and I mainly do evenings and weekends. I'll bear that in mind before I commit to any day shifts though, I'll ask at my enrollment too, so thanks!
Reply 206
Original post by shanesia05
Looooolllll!
I am going to City College Coventry.
What about u?
Do not worry, you will receive something soon.

I'm going to Lambeth College in London.

I was told timetables would be out beginning of August. I know last years timetable but I can't book train tickets on that. I might ring them again on Monday.
Reply 207
Original post by RinniieX

do you think if i called up or sent an email to the college they could send me a time table? or is it too early?

That's what I did, and they gave me a rough guide, but they said it couldn't be confirmed until enrolment.
So who's excited to start?:elefant::jebus::party:
Hi everyone

I'm starting an access to science course in a couple of weeks & I can't wait. So nervous and excited! Feel a bit sick actually.
Original post by evilpenguin
Hi everyone

I'm starting an access to science course in a couple of weeks & I can't wait. So nervous and excited! Feel a bit sick actually.

Welcome.:smile:

What subjects are you doing?
Hey beebumble, thanks

I've no idea?! They mentioned maths and chemistry at the open day but not much else.

What are you studying? :smile:
Wooop i'm excited BeeBumble! Got my enrolment daye through this morning been waiting for the postman every morning for it!!! 31st August at 12:00 i cant wait :biggrin:
I don't think I can contain my excitement much longer :biggrin: I thought my course was starting on 15th August but got a letter to say it's the 29th instead. Need to go in on 25th & 26th though to enrol, get student cards etc. My course was also running a mini 3 day course this week for people who have been out for education, covering things like essay writing, study skills etc I couldn't go as I'm working :mad: would have been good to meet a few people before we start for real!

LMx
Reply 214
I'm starting 1st September.

I would like to thank The Scottish Government for my non repayable grant that has just come through.

£3200 plus £522 for travel costs.

Plus further housing costs to come.

I will still have to work part -time but without the money I would have been unable to complete the course.

As an Englishman living in Scotland once again....

Thankyou.
Reply 215
Original post by Butts2516
I'm starting 1st September.

I would like to thank The Scottish Government for my non repayable grant that has just come through.

£3200 plus £522 for travel costs.

Plus further housing costs to come.

I will still have to work part -time but without the money I would have been unable to complete the course.

As an Englishman living in Scotland once again....

Thankyou.

wow thats brilliant well done your jammy bugger! haha I live in england and for some reason I am entitled to nothing at all :frown: no grants, cant even get loans i think! so i'll be working every available hour around my course, be it if i have to go in after or what ever! its going to be tough!

what are you studying on your access course?
Reply 216
Access to Humanities - as part of the program you are guaranteed a place at University providing you get reasonable grades.

Universities included are Edinburgh St Andrews Glasgow etc so hopefuly I can get the grades ?

Is there really no help available in English Colleges for Access Courses for "paupers" like myself. Single on a low income - able to go part time thanks to the grant.
Original post by Butts2516
Access to Humanities - as part of the program you are guaranteed a place at University providing you get reasonable grades.

Universities included are Edinburgh St Andrews Glasgow etc so hopefuly I can get the grades ?

Is there really no help available in English Colleges for Access Courses for "paupers" like myself. Single on a low income - able to go part time thanks to the grant.

Some colleges help out with their own private funding but many don't. The government used to give out ALG (similar to EMA but for adults) but I think that's been scrapped.
Reply 218
Does anyone have their timetable yet? I just want to know so I can book my train tickets, change my work hours, organise childcare, re-schedule dentist/optician appointments etc.

This time in three weeks I'll have my school bag packed and ready for my first day, if I don't hear anything (and yes, I've phoned and e-mailed) do I just turn up at 9am and hope that's right? I'm not sleeping very well now due to excitement so I don't know what I'll be like the night before.
Reply 219
Original post by jami74
Does anyone have their timetable yet? I just want to know so I can book my train tickets, change my work hours, organise childcare, re-schedule dentist/optician appointments etc.

This time in three weeks I'll have my school bag packed and ready for my first day, if I don't hear anything (and yes, I've phoned and e-mailed) do I just turn up at 9am and hope that's right? I'm not sleeping very well now due to excitement so I don't know what I'll be like the night before.

:party: AS IF its so soon!!!!!!!

i didn't even realise untill you just said, i even got out my little calender! your right! in about 3 weeks we will all be college students! this time in just ONE YEAR! we will be waiting to go to university! (with any luck!)

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

but no i dont have my time table as of yet although like you i do need it to work out work etc! i havent even enrolled yet.... have you?!

again WAHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOO! so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so bloody excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending