The Student Room Group

University of York Mature Student Accomodatin i

Does anyone know if there are many mature students at York? Will I get put with other mature students if I ask on my application ? Are there any colleges which are more known to have mature students? Hopefully starting in 2024 aged 24 and nervous about not meeting people of my age
Reply 1
I'm at Chester rather than York, but you shouldn't have any issues meeting mature students, particularly at 24. Unis will often put on social events, particularly in freshers week so different groups of students can connect. It's worth taking advantage of it. You would need to contact the accommodation team directly as they will have they're own way of managing incoming students. They may choose to put mature age students together, but it depends on the criteria. It didn't appear to be at Chester. I'm living in student halls, but have chosen a studio flat - I have disability needs as well as being in my forties, so living with others who are half my age was not going to be helpful. The building I'm in is primarily made up of 18-20 year olds, but I'm in a quiet area so its something of a compromise.
Reply 2
Original post by Hannahmollyxox
Does anyone know if there are many mature students at York? Will I get put with other mature students if I ask on my application ? Are there any colleges which are more known to have mature students? Hopefully starting in 2024 aged 24 and nervous about not meeting people of my age

There are no colleges for mature students unfortunately, so you will end up with 18 year olds, but there are both college and university wide mixers for mature students in freshers week and throughout the year 🙂
Reply 3

I’m wondering the same thing! I’m hoping to start in 2024 and I’ll be turning 25 around that time. I’ve heard you can request it but I’m not sure if it works the same as other unis at York with the collegiate system
Original post by geedes

I’m wondering the same thing! I’m hoping to start in 2024 and I’ll be turning 25 around that time. I’ve heard you can request it but I’m not sure if it works the same as other unis at York with the collegiate system

Would you be interested in contacting me?
Reply 5
Original post by geedes

In first year I lived with a 25 year old and I know some people who lived with a 40 year old, so not sure if you are able to request it or if there is just a limit. It might be worth sending an email to the accommodation team and asking directly 🙂
Reply 6
Would you be interested in contacting me?

Yeah! Although tried to pm you and it wouldn’t let me.. maybe you could pm me?
Reply 7

I’ll be 28 when we start and will also be at York. They do suggest placing if you want to be placed with mature students on your application so if you have you should be fine. What course are you studying?
Original post by Rahamma
I’ll be 28 when we start and will also be at York. They do suggest placing if you want to be placed with mature students on your application so if you have you should be fine. What course are you studying?

I have requested to be with mature students now. I’m studying business and management what about you?
Original post by geedes
Yeah! Although tried to pm you and it wouldn’t let me.. maybe you could pm me?

I have messaged you back. Not sure if you’ve seen it or not. My insta is @hannahmollydaniels
I'm 34f and attending Uni of York in September as a mature student - I think I'm going to email accommodation directly to see if there's any 'quiet halls' requests/policies, but to be honest I'm expecting to be lodged with 18 year olds and just hoping I can retain my ability to sleep through anything 😅
Original post by GembyWan
I'm 34f and attending Uni of York in September as a mature student - I think I'm going to email accommodation directly to see if there's any 'quiet halls' requests/policies, but to be honest I'm expecting to be lodged with 18 year olds and just hoping I can retain my ability to sleep through anything 😅

You can tick a box on the application to be put with other mature students. There is also an additional information box which I used to state that I would rather be with people around my age than say a 50 year old man 🤣
You can tick a box on the application to be put with other mature students. There is also an additional information box which I used to state that I would rather be with people around my age than say a 50 year old man 🤣

Oh excellent! I haven't applied yet as I'm still in the 48-hour waiting period, but thanks for letting me know those options exist!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending