The Student Room Group

I did an access to HE course, offering help🤍

Hey guys! I’ve completed an access to higher education course with learn direct and got offers from both the unis I applied to! My course was based on nursing but i’m happy to answer questions for the courses not regarding nursing! I know access courses aren’t very well known as i didn’t know about them myself but i want to help people understand the process and know there is other ways to get into uni!! ASK AWAY🤍

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by miamcniven
Hey guys! I’ve completed an access to higher education course with learn direct and got offers from both the unis I applied to! My course was based on nursing but i’m happy to answer questions for the courses not regarding nursing! I know access courses aren’t very well known as i didn’t know about them myself but i want to help people understand the process and know there is other ways to get into uni!! ASK AWAY🤍

How is it when you apply to uni ? Do you put your predicted grades? What unis did you get offers? Well done :smile:
What was the age range in your class?
Reply 2
Original post by sotra

How is it when you apply to uni ? Do you put your predicted grades? What unis did you get offers? Well done :smile:
What was the age range in your class?

They make it so easy to apply, they had a document which tells you exactly how to apply and all of the cutoff dates. It tells you what to put in the grades section but as I applied before I got my grades I had to just put predicted in that section and they fill it out once my grades have been final. I applied to 2 unis, Lincoln and Hull and got interviews and offers from both!! My classes were just me going through the lesson provided so I had no interactions with any other students and everything I did was completely independent unless I sent a draft of my assignment to my tutor for some feedback. I really enjoyed the course and i feel like i really improved my knowledge and my ability to do all different kinds of assignments. Would 100% recommend!
Reply 3
They make it so easy to apply, they had a document which tells you exactly how to apply and all of the cutoff dates. It tells you what to put in the grades section but as I applied before I got my grades I had to just put predicted in that section and they fill it out once my grades have been final. I applied to 2 unis, Lincoln and Hull and got interviews and offers from both!! My classes were just me going through the lesson provided so I had no interactions with any other students and everything I did was completely independent unless I sent a draft of my assignment to my tutor for some feedback. I really enjoyed the course and i feel like i really improved my knowledge and my ability to do all different kinds of assignments. Would 100% recommend!

That's great :smile:) I'm starting an access to he science in september and i reaally don't know what to expect!
Reply 4
Original post by sotra
That's great :smile:) I'm starting an access to he science in september and i reaally don't know what to expect!

The Access course I'm taking right now is fantastic. somewhat difficult at times, but you can do it and you'll be OK, I promise! A fantastic way to gain additional knowledge about the course you will be studying at university is through the Access course.

Hi, I am looking to do veterinary science with learn direct and hopefully do veterinary medicine at uni! I have previously done alevels in 2023 but didnt recieve the best grades- i have applied for alevel resits which were very expensive but without any college support i will be refunding these as i feel as though there is a high chance of me not receiving my entry requirements. Bristol university have recommended me the access to HE, due to this being online course do you feel as though you struggled with motivation? Is it true you only need to put around 1-2 hours a day to keep on top of everything? how much effort would you say needs to be put to get good grades? how long did it take you to finish the whole course? what type of work were you set e.g mostly essays/ quizes/ questions
Reply 6
Original post by weronika22_

Hi, I am looking to do veterinary science with learn direct and hopefully do veterinary medicine at uni! I have previously done alevels in 2023 but didnt recieve the best grades- i have applied for alevel resits which were very expensive but without any college support i will be refunding these as i feel as though there is a high chance of me not receiving my entry requirements. Bristol university have recommended me the access to HE, due to this being online course do you feel as though you struggled with motivation? Is it true you only need to put around 1-2 hours a day to keep on top of everything? how much effort would you say needs to be put to get good grades? how long did it take you to finish the whole course? what type of work were you set e.g mostly essays/ quizes/ questions

Hey! I was the exact same about my A levels which was why i did my access course. I aimed to get my course done as quick as possible so I would work for hours doing 1 assignment a day which is absolutely not necessary at all. If you’re applying for next year, you have until June to complete all of your assignments so that’s plenty of time to do them. I’d recommend doing little but often as I burned myself out a lot but had to push through it to complete it when I aimed to. I was given a mixture of essays, articles, academic writing, presentations and questions. I personally didn’t find them too difficult and the tutors are so helpful with giving feedback once you’ve sent your assignment to them as a draft. If you have any more questions let me know! good luck !!!
Reply 7

I did struggle with motivation sometimes but I think that’s because I worked through my assignments all day every day. I managed to complete mine in 4 months (I worked none stop for 4 days and then took 4 days off) But my method of working isn’t recommended or necessary!! My biggest advice is to read the grade boundaries to see what to include in your assignment to get the best grades! I got 2 passes, 6 merits and 7 distinctions and that was enough to get me into both unis i applied for!!

Heya love, I’m a current first year at Bristol vet school. I also did an access course in science after my a levels didn’t go to plan, I achieved all distinctions at access and got all my vet school offers.
I’ll be honest if you struggle with motivation for the online course, the Bristol vet program probably isn’t the best fit just because you have to do A LOT of independent and self directed learning!
After doing a levels, you won’t find the access course academically challenging however it’s still a lot of work and takes time! I never found the work particularly hard but did get tedious although the variety was really nice compared to a levels where it’s just exams.

If you have any questions about Bristol etc please fire away or message me x
(edited 3 weeks ago)

I’m not doing v vet med but I’m currently doing Access to HE Biology/Chem pathway.

I’m doing it at my local college rather than online so I do two full days (14 hours) in college and an minimum of 15 hours self study each week, which increases when I have an actual assignment.

I’ve got 5 offers for Dietetics and my first choice wants 41 out of 45 graded credits at distinction so I’m not taking any chances.

Of the 3 assignments (9 credits) I have graded so far I have all distinctions but it’s not always easy to tell exactly what they are looking for in the higher grading criteria.

Di you know what Uni’s offers for Vet Med are for Access typically?
Original post by DeafDragon
I’m not doing v vet med but I’m currently doing Access to HE Biology/Chem pathway.

I’m doing it at my local college rather than online so I do two full days (14 hours) in college and an minimum of 15 hours self study each week, which increases when I have an actual assignment.

I’ve got 5 offers for Dietetics and my first choice wants 41 out of 45 graded credits at distinction so I’m not taking any chances.

Of the 3 assignments (9 credits) I have graded so far I have all distinctions but it’s not always easy to tell exactly what they are looking for in the higher grading criteria.

Di you know what Uni’s offers for Vet Med are for Access typically?

Vet med offers tend to be 45 distinctions, notts foundation is one of the lowest at 15 distinction and the rest merit. Bristol is the lowest 5 year offer at 30 distinctions and rest merit but they are very specific what the distinctions need to be in x
I did struggle with motivation sometimes but I think that’s because I worked through my assignments all day every day. I managed to complete mine in 4 months (I worked none stop for 4 days and then took 4 days off) But my method of working isn’t recommended or necessary!! My biggest advice is to read the grade boundaries to see what to include in your assignment to get the best grades! I got 2 passes, 6 merits and 7 distinctions and that was enough to get me into both unis i applied for!!

Congrats! thats amazing to hear 🙂 thats really helpful thank you, just one more question how did you find the payment of the course, i have enough money to pay for it full but i feel i may still do the 0% intrest rate monthly plan, did you ever have any issues with the plans or the certificates for your grades?
Original post by ALEreapp
Vet med offers tend to be 45 distinctions, notts foundation is one of the lowest at 15 distinction and the rest merit. Bristol is the lowest 5 year offer at 30 distinctions and rest merit but they are very specific what the distinctions need to be in x

That’s interesting, I haven’t looked at any courses other than dietetics so it’s interesting to what other courses require.

Did you struggle with word counts on your assignments? I’m struggling to include the detail I want/feel I need for a distraction within the very limited word counts!
That’s interesting, I haven’t looked at any courses other than dietetics so it’s interesting to what other courses require.

Did you struggle with word counts on your assignments? I’m struggling to include the detail I want/feel I need for a distraction within the very limited word counts!

Word counts were the bane of my life! I’m quite bad for waffling anyway but the word counts would honestly take me the most time of the assignment because it was figuring out what I could cut whilst still getting top grades. I often would just come away from it for a few hours/days (if I didn’t leave it until the last minute) then read the marking criteria again and go back through with fresh eyes.

I never thought it was good enough in the word counts tbh but the mark schemes do take count for the fact you are very limited in words x
I have just started my Access to HE course.

I'm doing mine with Learning Curve Group. I think the first couple of months are just getting you back into the swing of higher education by the looks and then we go on our own pathways after that. Definitely excited to start a new Journey.

Then will be hoping to start University in perhaps January 2026.

Congrats! thats amazing to hear 🙂 thats really helpful thank you, just one more question how did you find the payment of the course, i have enough money to pay for it full but i feel i may still do the 0% intrest rate monthly plan, did you ever have any issues with the plans or the certificates for your grades?

I’m personally paying monthly, the course was 1,500 and i’m paying £69 a month. make sure your mind is 100% set on doing the course as there is a very small period of time where you can change your mind and cancel the finance. Just bare in mind that you won’t get your certificate until your course is paid in full, mine isn’t paid in full but I will still receive my results so it shouldn’t be an issue but it’s definitely something to bare in mind whether you pay in full or pay monthly
Original post by PinkLemonade94
I have just started my Access to HE course.

I'm doing mine with Learning Curve Group. I think the first couple of months are just getting you back into the swing of higher education by the looks and then we go on our own pathways after that. Definitely excited to start a new Journey.

Then will be hoping to start University in perhaps January 2026.

It’s great that you’ve decided to take that route!! A lot of people get into uni the conventional way (a levels) and I was afraid people may judge me for not taking that route but at the end of the day everybody who goes to uni has earned their place one way or another !! I absolutely loved my access course and the first few assignments were so helpful for my future assignments even if it wasn’t related directly to the course. I wish you the best on your journey!!
I’m personally paying monthly, the course was 1,500 and i’m paying £69 a month. make sure your mind is 100% set on doing the course as there is a very small period of time where you can change your mind and cancel the finance. Just bare in mind that you won’t get your certificate until your course is paid in full, mine isn’t paid in full but I will still receive my results so it shouldn’t be an issue but it’s definitely something to bare in mind whether you pay in full or pay monthly

I’ve got an Advanced learner loan for my Access course, not sure if it’s available for the online version as I study in college (my fees are just over £3000) but if I go in to complete a degree the Advanced learner loan gets wiped out.
I’ve got an Advanced learner loan for my Access course, not sure if it’s available for the online version as I study in college (my fees are just over £3000) but if I go in to complete a degree the Advanced learner loan gets wiped out.

Yep I heard about that, the course has to be QAA approved, I applied for 2 one was not approved and one is still under review to be continued onto the next year that’s why I have been thinking about the online courses too
What access courses can I do if I wanna do radiography??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending