The Student Room Group

deleted

deleted thread
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Hii honestly everybody works on their own timeline :smile: I’m starting uni this year at 21 and I felt like I was going into it too late however with what you’ve said you’ve gained experience and know what you want to do which is more than a lot of graduates who leave w something they find out that they’ve lost interest in. If you think about it you’re going to be working the majority of your life after education so there’s no point rushing into the rest of your life if that makes sense. And in this cost of living crisis moving out is impossible so don’t worry haha !!
im 27 still in education
Original post by courtzbella
hi, so I am currently 21 and I have been in education since the age of 4. I basically did one year of AS and then decided to go back a year to study graphic design Level 3 and then I did an HND course after and now I'm doing an illustration degree and going back another year as they don't accept into 3rd year. I'm concerned that in realty behind on life and I'll have no money saved to move out so I'm literally gonna be 30 by the time i leave my parents house. is this bad? do you think it was a good idea to go back those two years? I'm honestly scared for the big world of working, but I feel like I never wanna leave education (I wanna teach) and I have gained an impressive amount of experience because of my education.

Everyone has different circumstance in their life. I've finished my Bachelors when I was 32 and it turned out absolutely fine. In fact I had at least 3 other guys in my class that were 30+ and one 50+!
hi, so I am currently 21 and I have been in education since the age of 4. I basically did one year of AS and then decided to go back a year to study graphic design Level 3 and then I did an HND course after and now I'm doing an illustration degree and going back another year as they don't accept into 3rd year. I'm concerned that in realty behind on life and I'll have no money saved to move out so I'm literally gonna be 30 by the time i leave my parents house. is this bad? do you think it was a good idea to go back those two years? I'm honestly scared for the big world of working, but I feel like I never wanna leave education (I wanna teach) and I have gained an impressive amount of experience because of my education.

@courtzbella
About a third of Gen Z are still living at home with their parents when they are 25, I know many still at home into their late 20's. Its due to a mix of reasons, just enjoy how your life unfolds. Might be worth talking to a careers advisor at your local college

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 5

haha! This makes me laugh, people are in such a rush to what - work? I'm starting again at 29 years old from undergrad, and could not be happier about it. I love uni and studying, why would anyone in their right mind choose WILLINGLY to bounce into the work world as soon as possible it baffles me.

Also, imagine you graduated at 21/22 with a degree you hated and wanted nothing to do with the subject anymore. Is there not more value in taking your time, finding what you truly enjoy in life and not wasting money (or in Scotlands case, SAAS funding) for a degree and subject your heart wasn't invested in.

My advice, enjoy studying if you do, if you want to continue then continue! Age is nothing, and in fact there's nothing more attractive I would argue for an employer between a person who knows themself, their capabilities and the maturity that comes with that, than a fresh graduate that has no clue what they want in life.

Take it easy, and do what makes you happy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending