The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geekay1
what makes you eligible for the funding? I'm now being told that it might be funded so getting different messages from different people, I find out for sure on Saturday though

I don't have Level three qualification.
I had no problems and a am now enrolled.:biggrin:

I know some people at my college had problems because the job centre changed their forms, told colleges to not accept the old ones then started giving out the old ones.:s-smilie:
Does anyone else have a prep for HE lesson? We have to take a lesson where they'll basically give us advice on preparing for uni writing personal statements etc..

If it doesn't count towards anything I'm hoping I can drop it after a couple of weeks because the college is rather far and the lesson finishes rather late. I don't want to be walking around the area my college is in when it starts getting dark early.:frown:
I think I'm capable of preparing myself for uni and I think I'd be way ahead the others in that class anyway because I've already filled in my ucas and written my personal statement.
Reply 382
I'm not sure. I haven't got a lesson breakdown yet but I'm not expecting any of the lessons to be optional. I would have thought that a lesson to prepare you for applying to uni will only go on for the first few weeks anyway.
Original post by Beebumble
Does anyone else have a prep for HE lesson? We have to take a lesson where they'll basically give us advice on preparing for uni writing personal statements etc..

If it doesn't count towards anything I'm hoping I can drop it after a couple of weeks because the college is rather far and the lesson finishes rather late. I don't want to be walking around the area my college is in when it starts getting dark early.:frown:
I think I'm capable of preparing myself for uni and I think I'd be way ahead the others in that class anyway because I've already filled in my ucas and written my personal statement.

they will still give you advice and check your PS, we had talks from admissions tutors from local uni's and people from student finance etc.

we had previous access students come and talk about their experiences in starting Uni.

We also had assignments where we had to write about why we want to go into HE and the advantages and disadvantages, also on why we chose a certain course or Uni to apply to.

Later in the year they mainly just became about assembling our Portfolio and getting exactly how the moderators want them which can be a pain in the ass.

Don't dismiss it entirely a lot of it in my experience can be useful but its not always the most interesting of lessons.
Original post by Hecate

Original post by Hecate
Today I found out that if I'd've told the college that I was on JSA, I wouldn't have had to pay the exam fee either. (I received L3 entitlement.) I took out a loan specifically to cover the exam fee and subsequently find myself £500 in debt. Hilarious. :biggrin:

Original post by shanesia05
Well my level 3 entitlement saved me £1500 (tuition fees)
But I paid £143 for exams fees a week ago.
Then 3 days ago, I received a letter about the government new policy.
as I am on benefits, I went to college and asked for a refund!!! LOL:tongue: which I am getting very soon!!!:tongue:

I was originally told I had to pay £30 registration fee. I went to the college today and was told that I now need to pay £80 this includes the registration fee plus £50 part payment of exam fees. I'll love to know this new policy if I can use it to my advantage. I cannot afford £80 on a JSA income

EDIT: I do however have a timetable. Two days a week. Psychology, Sociology and Social Anthropology :bban:

EDIT2: I've just found this on their website

Additional Study Costs

In addition to the course fee, there may be other costs associated with studying at the College. These are outlined below:

Registration Fee: This is an administration fee for processing your enrolment. The registration fee is £30 and is payable by everyone except those who:

are receiving an Active Benefit, or
want to study a course which is not featured in either of the above lists (Level 2 and Level 3), and requires all students to pay the full course fee
Exam Fee: This fee applies if the course you want to study requires you to take an external exam. The cost is determined by the examination board.

It's my fault. I didn't do my research properly. I shall print this off and show it to them and also clarify whether there are external exams. Hopefully, I can save some money.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jaydeebee21
they will still give you advice and check your PS, we had talks from admissions tutors from local uni's and people from student finance etc.

we had previous access students come and talk about their experiences in starting Uni.

We also had assignments where we had to write about why we want to go into HE and the advantages and disadvantages, also on why we chose a certain course or Uni to apply to.

Later in the year they mainly just became about assembling our Portfolio and getting exactly how the moderators want them which can be a pain in the ass.

Don't dismiss it entirely a lot of it in my experience can be useful but its not always the most interesting of lessons.

Oh ok. It's just a pain because I also have a four hour gap between that lesson and my Psychology lesson.

So my Tuesdays will be getting into at 9:30 hanging around for four hours then leaving late. I probably have to leave my house at 8:00am and will probably get back at 8:00pm.:eek: Tuesdays are going to suck!
Reply 386
Thought I'd jump in to this one. I start my Access on Tuesday at Canterbury college, doing humanities (though I believe they've changed it this year to 'combined studies'). Very excited =D
Reply 387
I have my induction for Access next week - doing English Lit, History and Psychology [ plus gcse maths] at New College, Swindon - currently on a roller coaster of nerves and excitement :]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 388
Got an interview for Sheffield city college access to science, on Monday.

Anyone know what this consists of?
Reply 389
I got a text message today telling me my first class is at 9am on Monday :eek: like I might have forgotton or something :rolleyes:. Wonder if I'll get text reminders for all my classes :biggrin:.
Reply 390
Best of luck to everyone for their Access courses this year!

Christ, I can hardly believe that it's almost a year to the day since I started mine, and here I am only a few weeks away from starting a degree at Cambridge.
Reply 391
Original post by Beebumble
I don't have Level three qualification.
I had no problems and a am now enrolled.:biggrin:

I know some people at my college had problems because the job centre changed their forms, told colleges to not accept the old ones then started giving out the old ones.:s-smilie:

Yeah it seems to be going ok for me now,touch wood ill be starting on Monday
Reply 392
I'm starting my 2nd year of my part time access in a couple of weeks and can't wait to get started again!

Hoping to go to Coventry 2012 to study occupational therapy....getting very excited/nervous!!:tongue:
Reply 393
I'm all enrolled!! :smile:
It took over 5 hours though and I had to queue twice for the last part as my evidence of Income Support was not recent enough, but its done now & I only had to pay the exam fee.

I start on 14th September and will be there Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
I'm studying - Chemistry, Biology, Physiology, Health Promotion, ICT, Study Skills and Research!

I'm very excited now and if might say, getting a little geeky about stationary!

'Im hoping to go to Leeds Met next year to study Dietetics, got an open day there in October!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 394
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
I enrolled today... I was stuck in a vast hall for about two and a half hours waiting for them to process my information, during which a boy's mum accused me of jumping the line. Cow!

There were lots of Access to Nursing people there; it seems to be a really popular course. I, unfortunately, didn't meet anyone who'll be on mine. Oh well; that's what induction is for, I guess... Speaking of induction, actually: I was handed an A4 piece of paper detailing what would happen on the day, and it contained the usual and expected stuff course information, hopes and fears, getting to know one another sessions, etc. except there was something called Human Bingo! What on earth is that? Someone, please enlighten me.

I received some fantastic news, though! I'm eligible for subsidies as I've not studied a Level 3 qualification before. Get in! Of course, I'll still have to pay some of the fees, but I won't have to pay for the bulk of it. Get in! If anyone aged 19-24 who hasn't studied for a Level 3 qualification has yet to enrol, make sure you ask your college about this!

Is uni search giving anyone else a headache? There's so much to consider. My brain is owwy!

No idea what human bingo is though it sounds fun :smile: on subject of fees - my access course will be free as I'm jumping up to level 3 [only have o-levels] and I'm 43! So worth checking at any age - I do have to pay for maths gcse though. Ju
Original post by geekay1
Yeah it seems to be going ok for me now,touch wood ill be starting on Monday

Oh so pleased for you!:smile:

Have any of you got like an induction day or anything? It seems to me we just turn up to our first lesson next Monday as we usually would.
Hi everyone, I start my access course in a couple of weeks. I am doing Maths, ICT, Psychology and Science. I was studying to go down the teaching route at Uni but now I think I want to do a Maths degree first and then maybe a 1 year PGCE if i still want to teach after..not sure yet. I'm going to be studying full time at New College Swindon-same as Frazzleju...i can't wait to get started.
Original post by TomU
Best of luck to everyone for their Access courses this year!

Christ, I can hardly believe that it's almost a year to the day since I started mine, and here I am only a few weeks away from starting a degree at Cambridge.

the legend that is tomu!
Just a quick update.

i enrolled yesterday. very happy to find out i didnt have to pay for the whole course. bargain.

we start next friday, which is quite frustrating. im soo desperate to get going.

ill be studying at reading college.
im finally enrolled at reading college to study business and enterprise pathway!!!

so excited its finally about to begin. i had a friend that done access last year and has really stressed you must stay on top of work. he has told me the work isnt that hard its just long/time consuming.

I paid £120 for the course and gcse maths!

ive also allready started on my ps!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending