The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1340
Bingo.. thats what i wanted to say, but whittled on about nothing! use academic sources to argue wth academic sources to balance it out. I love writing essays too, how worrying! lol. Just cant wait for September!:smile:
Original post by Pitt1988
So, we're coming to the last 7-8 weeks of the access course now, how is everyone doing in relation to meeting your entry requirements? What and where is everyone going to study?

*Power to the oldies!*

21 credits at D so far, waiting to hear back on 3 credit assignment. Only 12 credits left to get from 2 pieces of work one due after the holidays and the other next month. Then the bit I've been dreading- exam week. Really nervous about exams, feels like a lifetime since I was last in an exam hall and 24 of our 60 credits come from exams. Weird to think 2 months from now we'll be all done.

I've not 'firmed' my offers yet but am going to be studying Law either at University of Leeds (wanting 45 Distinctions) or York (30 at Distinction, 15 at merit).

Well done everyone, we're nearly there!
Original post by *whatkatiedidnext*
21 credits at D so far, waiting to hear back on 3 credit assignment. Only 12 credits left to get from 2 pieces of work one due after the holidays and the other next month. Then the bit I've been dreading- exam week. Really nervous about exams, feels like a lifetime since I was last in an exam hall and 24 of our 60 credits come from exams. Weird to think 2 months from now we'll be all done.

I've not 'firmed' my offers yet but am going to be studying Law either at University of Leeds (wanting 45 Distinctions) or York (30 at Distinction, 15 at merit).

Well done everyone, we're nearly there!

Well done! Good luck meeting your requirements for Leeds, it's a great city!
Reply 1343
So far I've got 9 credits at merit, 9 at pass (which I only just found out, for psychology) and 9 at distinction. Still doing the last 2 modules (sociology and access project), need to get distinction in both of them to still stand a chance of getting in for History at Newcastle (they wanted 3 distinctions and 2 merits). Does anybody know what would happen if I missed the requirements by one grade? I could still manage 3 distinctions, 1 merit and 1 pass. Do you think I should contact them now to let them know where I stand?

Got York st John as insurance but they were only after a pass overall.

Yeah I know what you mean scotton86, it's taken up to 2 months to get some work back; nightmare!

I've not minded so much having the grades grouped together, there have been some areas where I'm not so good (presentations) but I always manage to up the grades with written work; essays and documentary exercises.

My tutor said that if you miss your entry requirements by a grade or two, the universitys call up your college/tutor and ask if you would be able to cope with the course at uni etc etc. which is good! :smile: sorry if you have already had an answer to this haha
Original post by RinniieX
My tutor said that if you miss your entry requirements by a grade or two, the universitys call up your college/tutor and ask if you would be able to cope with the course at uni etc etc. which is good! :smile: sorry if you have already had an answer to this haha

No I haven't and thank you ! :smile:

Might be alright then; got distinction in my History, which I suppose is what counts if that's what I'm going to do. Just have to make sure I do the same with the project.

Cheers again!
So far I've got 9 credits at merit, 9 at pass (which I only just found out, for psychology) and 9 at distinction. Still doing the last 2 modules (sociology and access project), need to get distinction in both of them to still stand a chance of getting in for History at Newcastle (they wanted 3 distinctions and 2 merits). Does anybody know what would happen if I missed the requirements by one grade? I could still manage 3 distinctions, 1 merit and 1 pass. Do you think I should contact them now to let them know where I stand?

Tbh I'd be sounding admissions out now at Newcastle. Every department will be different I guess but I know for my course in previous years if people haven't made the grades they haven't got in. That said it is a v competitive course. Maybe worth having a word with tutors at college too to see if it's come up in other years?

Fingers crossed for you, Newcastle is an awesome city, you're going to have such a good time!
Reply 1346
Is everyone busy studying? I'm hoping to cover the whole of our organic chemistry unit tonight so I can complete the assignment and revise for the exam all in one go. It might sound impressive but really its an avoidance tactic. I'm just not ready to write essays.
Original post by *whatkatiedidnext*
Make sure you do come down on one side in the end though! I love this sort of essay, really obvious structure. A good introduction essentially discussing the question. Your arguments for, backed up with quotes from reputable academic sources and referenced. The same for your arguments against followed by a conclusion which should be a summing up of your main points evaluating arguments to conclude on one side.

Hope that makes sense!

I am in favor providing it is strictly legislated. So, considering that the question is "Should Euthanasia be leagalised?" and considering that I have to have arguments for both sides, I guess that it makes sense to start with intro, the arguments against, then arguments for, the main argument in the end and then conclusion. Does this make sense? I am so new to this, I look like a fool on top a bridge. lol

What would make a good conlusion? How do I make a good conclusion? :smile:

And this may seem like the most stupid question of all times, but each paragraph must be a argument (in the main body) so should I say whatever the argument is and evaluate in the same paragraph? What is the argument has negative and positive sides, should I choose one and stick to it or evaluate both sides in the same paragraph?

Thanks so much. :smile:

Original post by loopyluc
Bingo.. thats what i wanted to say, but whittled on about nothing! use academic sources to argue wth academic sources to balance it out. I love writing essays too, how worrying! lol. Just cant wait for September!:smile:

Thank you so much. :smile:
Original post by wizardtop
i also agree with what Mczakk has advise you to do ilovelabradors.There is defiantely a lot of research out there so u need to decide before you take it which particular point of view you coming from.

Original post by loopyluc
The arguments should flow from the main arguments. Like, religion says no, but people have the right to believe, and choose, and be independent.

You would never be able to regulate it v it happens anyway, so best that rules are put in place to protect those.

may make people feel guilty and vulnerable - feel like they are pressured into making that choice so as not to put pressure on their families.

I found an argument online which amazed me... but there is support out there for it - that euthanasia frees up resources for those who actually need/want it. that money could be better spent elsewhere than keeping people alive - controversial maybe.

I have referenced all the way through all my essays, as thats what they require at Uni, so am preparing myself for it now, and have always had 'good referencing' in my feedback, so I guess you need to check what they are expecting..

Original post by mczakk
i would just cite the main arguments for and against, and then put forward your arguments for and against the arguments which you have quoted.

Thank u so much guys. :smile:
Original post by jami74
Is everyone busy studying? I'm hoping to cover the whole of our organic chemistry unit tonight so I can complete the assignment and revise for the exam all in one go. It might sound impressive but really its an avoidance tactic. I'm just not ready to write essays.

Nope i am a talking a break at the moment Jami74 as my back is paying up a bit.Still have alot to do collegewise and the days are disappearing :frown: like they do when you busy doing stuff.
Reply 1350
I find it incredibly hard to revise whilst at home for exams.
1 assignment left to do (physics - full wave rectification etc) and some stupid toolbox stuff and then I just need to revise for exams, which is too hard as I have the attention span of a grapefruit.

Firmed Hertfordshire for astrophysics, I originally needed full merits but my unit 1 grades were 9 D, 9 M and 9 P (pass in maths as I zone out because I despise my lecturer). Hertfordshire admissions said they were impressed with my physics knowledge and reasons to study at their university so they dropped my offer to just pass my access course, my gift of blagging interviews etc came in handy in that 1.

So yeah, if I don't crumble in my exams (which will 90% happen) I'll be doing astrophysics at Hertfordshire.
Reply 1351
How is everyone doing? We are over half way through our break now, but are we half way through our work load? My workload is divided into 2 sections, the physical stuff which I have to get onto paper to hand in and the learning stuff that I want to do to prepare for exams. I'm probably over half-way the physical stuff.

Does it take everyone else days to write an essay? I'm having to reference every other sentence so I am spending more time looking for things to cite than I am actually typing. I'm not really sure of the point really, it seems more about rearranging other peoples words than writing about what I know. I really hope there won't be too many of these at universities, it just feels like such a waste of time. And this in only the draft copy which means I'll hand it in thinking it is as perfect as I can get it and be returned a week later with scribbles, crosses and comments all over it for me to re do.

Okay, I'll stop ranting and creep back into the pubmed website.
Reply 1352
Original post by jami74
How is everyone doing? We are over half way through our break now, but are we half way through our work load? My workload is divided into 2 sections, the physical stuff which I have to get onto paper to hand in and the learning stuff that I want to do to prepare for exams. I'm probably over half-way the physical stuff.

Does it take everyone else days to write an essay? I'm having to reference every other sentence so I am spending more time looking for things to cite than I am actually typing. I'm not really sure of the point really, it seems more about rearranging other peoples words than writing about what I know. I really hope there won't be too many of these at universities, it just feels like such a waste of time. And this in only the draft copy which means I'll hand it in thinking it is as perfect as I can get it and be returned a week later with scribbles, crosses and comments all over it for me to re do.

it takes me a few days to get my essays to how i like them fully referenced set out properly etc, i have SO much work to get completed for the first monday/week back it makes me feel sick just thinking about it! havent yet revised for exams though :s-smilie: oh buggar!
Reply 1353
Original post by jami74

I feel the same, it seems that learning to reference is more important than learning the subject! All the assignments we get seem to require you to try and re write textbooks in your own words, or just cut and paste! It also doesn't demonstrate understanding very well if your essay is just a list of facts and opinions written by someone else!
Reply 1354
Original post by mczakk
I feel the same, it seems that learning to reference is more important than learning the subject! All the assignments we get seem to require you to try and re write textbooks in your own words, or just cut and paste! It also doesn't demonstrate understanding very well if your essay is just a list of facts and opinions written by someone else!

Just do what you gotta do to get through the course and UNI here we come! (this is what im telling myself to do anyway! haha)
Reply 1355
I...I haven't started either of my 3 assignments...
Reply 1356
Original post by jami74

Takes me at least 3 days to write an essay....first day to get it done in rough what I want to say, then the rest proof reading and polishing.

Once handed in no chance of redoing, I am starting to like the evaluation essays though, because they do involve thought in putting up arguments etc. Just regurgitating facts is a pain in the neck!
Offers from University of York (30 distinctions + 15 merits) for History/Politics.

So far I have 15 distinctions and 9 merits. Provisionally given 9 more distinctions, and think i'll get at least 12 more on top of that. So hopefully York is going to be firmed within 2 weeks.
Reply 1358
Anybody have any ideas on an essay i can do for english? the only requirement is that it can be 'researched' so referenced etc. can be on any topic i like and the only topic i'm interested in i have done for an essay before in english
Original post by jami74

Does it take everyone else days to write an essay? I'm having to reference every other sentence so I am spending more time looking for things to cite than I am actually typing. I'm not really sure of the point really, it seems more about rearranging other peoples words than writing about what I know. I really hope there won't be too many of these at universities, it just feels like such a waste of time.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's worse at university :eek:! They have very, very strict regulations regarding referencing & you can get thrown off your course if you get it wrong :rolleyes:

My sister had to attend a disciplinary in her final year as she had missed 2 references in an essay. It was so awful for her :frown:
Basically; they advised her that at best she would fail that module & at worst she would be thrown off the course & receive no credits at all, from the entirety of her course. There needed to be a very valid reason as to why she had missed them off. Luckily (well, maybe not so much, but compared to what could have been) she had been going through a break up with her boyfriend and they 'let her off' with a failed module. Consequently; this meant she could only qualify for a degree without honours.

So, the point I'm making - :lol: :lol: - is that you are taught to do this so you get used to it. In uni; random essays are put through a certain plagiarism referencing software & very frequently too, so you can't afford to be slack.

My partner used to spend days on his essays, most of the time spent was for referencing, he absolutely hated it.

HTH & sorry to waffle. I just wanted to explain the importance of them, just a shame they're a right pain in the bum :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending