The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Riku
Congrats on getting the job, Am! Don't worry, might seem like loads of work now but it's probably the initial panic from starting something new. Might take some time to adjust but give it a month or two, it'll be alright. A diary could help loads like people have suggested here, long as you keep yourself fairly well organised you'll be fine. This'll also give you great skills in time management and prioritising for your future career path. Good luck! : )

Thanks! :h: I'm going to spend this afternoon reorganising my life so I should feel much better after that :tongue:
got myself into a situation where I'm going out tonight with just one other person who I barely know. She does seem nice though, but I'm anxing. Help?

am I making the wrong move in going in the first place? arrrgh!
Original post by AlligatorTears
got myself into a situation where I'm going out tonight with just one other person who I barely know. She does seem nice though, but I'm anxing. Help?

am I making the wrong move in going in the first place? arrrgh!

If you like her and she seems nice, then go for it! It doesn't matter if it will be a little bit awkward, things always are with new people. Don't miss out on an opportunity to get to know a new, nice person just because you don't know her - you have to start somewhere. :h:
just got prescribed propranalol, hoping it works :smile:
Original post by maxcartwright
just got prescribed propranalol, hoping it works :smile:

What you on and how is it helping you.

Im on Citalopram 40mg increased from 30mg last week.

Propranalol since last week

Diazepam 2mg when required.

Made good progress and hopefully the increase from 30 to 40 mg will help.
Original post by Anonymous
What you on and how is it helping you.

Im on Citalopram 40mg increased from 30mg last week.

Propranalol since last week

Diazepam 2mg when required.

Made good progress and hopefully the increase from 30 to 40 mg will help.

just 40 mg twice a day for a fortnight then if it helps another months supply
Reply 2086
Original post by maxcartwright
just 40 mg twice a day for a fortnight then if it helps another months supply

Christ, I'm on 10mg of Diazepam + propranolol + Citalopram.

If it helps any, 40mg of Citalopram really did help with my depression (along with therapy, I'm completely ok now :smile:) and propranolol really does just stop the panic attacks happening. Diazepam makes me soooo sleepy!
Wow a TSR Anxiety Society? This is awesome! (I mean, usually you have to pay money to join some help services, but I think it's great that this is available to students).

So I have been living with anxiety my whole life, but I didn't know it until I had an attack my second year of undergraduate university. I was at home, laying in bed and I wasn't even thinking of anything. And then I felt like this wave of heat pulse up from my feet to my chest and I was like "WTF?" . So I jumped up and looked at myself in my mirror, trying to figure out what I just felt. But then I had this fear in my chest that something was going wrong with me, and so I started to get cold and clammy. At the time I still lived with my Dad, so I went to his room and asked if I could sleep on the floor because I was really scared. For no reason at all! Then I started to violently shake and then I couldn't breathe, and then my face went limp, like I was having a stroke! My dad called 911, and the paramedics came right away. I felt like I was seriously dying.

That's when I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder. I went on medication for a few months, but I couldn't stand it. Now I just eat right and work out to help control the level of anxiety. However, it is still there, just not as intense. I doubt I will be able to get rid of it completely, since I don't like being medicated and "out of it."

Some other random symptoms I would experience:

-The world freezes for like 3 seconds. (Anyone experience that?)
- Irrational conclusions about my health failing me
-Head zaps
-Chest pains
-Floating feeling when laying in bed
-Slight vertigo when trying to relax.

Anxiety is so weird!
Original post by Holly1389
Wow a TSR Anxiety Society? This is awesome! (I mean, usually you have to pay money to join some help services, but I think it's great that this is available to students).

So I have been living with anxiety my whole life, but I didn't know it until I had an attack my second year of undergraduate university. I was at home, laying in bed and I wasn't even thinking of anything. And then I felt like this wave of heat pulse up from my feet to my chest and I was like "WTF?" . So I jumped up and looked at myself in my mirror, trying to figure out what I just felt. But then I had this fear in my chest that something was going wrong with me, and so I started to get cold and clammy. At the time I still lived with my Dad, so I went to his room and asked if I could sleep on the floor because I was really scared. For no reason at all! Then I started to violently shake and then I couldn't breathe, and then my face went limp, like I was having a stroke! My dad called 911, and the paramedics came right away. I felt like I was seriously dying.

That's when I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder. I went on medication for a few months, but I couldn't stand it. Now I just eat right and work out to help control the level of anxiety. However, it is still there, just not as intense. I doubt I will be able to get rid of it completely, since I don't like being medicated and "out of it."

Some other random symptoms I would experience:

-The world freezes for like 3 seconds. (Anyone experience that?)
- Irrational conclusions about my health failing me
-Head zaps
-Chest pains
-Floating feeling when laying in bed
-Slight vertigo when trying to relax.

Anxiety is so weird!

It is too normal to feel like you're dying because of anxiety. I constantly check that I have a pulse, that I'm not having a stroke and for hernia bumps on my belly, plus I often think I have appendicitus or meningitus or that I'm going to be sick (of which I have a phobia).

I'm on medication myself, citalopram, that I started 11 days ago and I'm starting to get the whole apatheticness, I have a 1500 essay thing in at 8 pm today and haven't even started.

How long ago was you diagnosed?
I used to have some sort of anxiety, I'm not sure what it was though. Feels like I was born with it because I had it my whole life. Hated being around people and felt nervous, as a kid never talked to anyone, not even answering to direct yes or no questions. If it was from my parents I might whisper the answer, but make it as short as I possibly could.

Then the older I got the more I realised that I have to force myself to talk to people, otherwise I'd be a weirdo. So I forced myself to do everything I ever didn't want to do. I went to a karate club where you have to shout really loudly. I volunteered to talk when there were group presentations in school, even though I hated it so much. I went to do fund raising and approached many strangers in the streets. Left home very early so that I HAD to interact with people in order to survive.

I'm 21 now and I'm the opposite person of what I used to be. People even see me as loud and obnoxious but even though most people would hate that label, I love it because I know that's what I worked towards achieving. Now I just have to work towards toning it a little bit down, lol.

The only thing I haven't managed to do yet was to catch up on how to act in social situations. I've never been around many people so I have no idea how to act. I end up being very blunt about ridiculously small things. I also still don't enjoy most people's company, but not for the same reasons as before. They just don't interest me as much as my own little world in my head does, I prefer being alone because this is what I got myself used to. Maximum time with other people around before I explode from boredom is 2 hours.
Original post by puddledancer
It is too normal to feel like you're dying because of anxiety. I constantly check that I have a pulse, that I'm not having a stroke and for hernia bumps on my belly, plus I often think I have appendicitus or meningitus or that I'm going to be sick (of which I have a phobia).

I'm on medication myself, citalopram, that I started 11 days ago and I'm starting to get the whole apatheticness, I have a 1500 essay thing in at 8 pm today and haven't even started.

Yeah, if I hear my heartbeat slowing down, my body seems to tense up and produce adrenaline just to speed it up a little bit. IT IS SO WEIRD AND BOTHERSOME! As well as being so unhealthy in the long-run.

I was diagnosed in 2009, but looking back before that, I had all the same symptoms, they were just never brought to light. I had no idea I had anxiety problems. I just assumed everyone else felt the same way!

And yeah, I did terribly in school when I was drugged. Maybe because it just made me sleepy, but I was used to harnessing my anxiety to get good grades. It seemed that once it was gone, my obsessiveness to do really well in school also was gone. So it's like, which of the two lesser evils do you want? Overly obsessive good grades, or be cured from anxiety? I chose to keep the anxiety, because it felt like I needed it, like I'm addicted to it...

Reading this makes me sound like a crazy person, but to me, that was the logical course of action.

Anyone else do this?

:sadnod: Yep, I get serious health anxiety, pretty much all focussed on losing control in some way - dizziness, inability to breathe - with vomiting being the big main one. I think the only reason I really get anxious about other kind of illness 'symptoms' is because I'll worry that whatever I have will end up making me sick.

And also I worry about death a lot. I just watched the most depressing episode of scrubs, and it sounds kind of stupid but it made me kind of anxious. (for anyone who hasn't seen it) it's a programme about doctors, and the episode was one where there was a man dying and he had no family so two of the doctors sat with him all night and talked about it and stuff. And it seriously freaked me out. :erm: /tangent :teehee:
Original post by Amwazicles
:sadnod: Yep, I get serious health anxiety, pretty much all focussed on losing control in some way - dizziness, inability to breathe - with vomiting being the big main one. I think the only reason I really get anxious about other kind of illness 'symptoms' is because I'll worry that whatever I have will end up making me sick.

And also I worry about death a lot. I just watched the most depressing episode of scrubs, and it sounds kind of stupid but it made me kind of anxious. (for anyone who hasn't seen it) it's a programme about doctors, and the episode was one where there was a man dying and he had no family so two of the doctors sat with him all night and talked about it and stuff. And it seriously freaked me out. :erm: /tangent :teehee:

I always cry at that episode, it makes me sad but I'd happily spend my last night with Turk and j.d it'd be ace, except the dying part.
I always cry at that episode, it makes me sad but I'd happily spend my last night with Turk and j.d it'd be ace, except the dying part.

Hah, yeah agreed :unsure: Other ones that always get me are the one where Laverne dies, the one with the lovely old woman who's name I can't remember, the one with the other young-ish woman where they sing a song at the end... scrubs is bad :tongue:
Hah, yeah agreed :unsure: Other ones that always get me are the one where Laverne dies, the one with the lovely old woman who's name I can't remember, the one with the other young-ish woman where they sing a song at the end... scrubs is bad :tongue:

An the last episode where he watches the future, oh god I miss old scrubs :frown:
An the last episode where he watches the future, oh god I miss old scrubs :frown:

Oh yes and that one :rolleyes: I'm such a wuss at watching TV. When I was little I never cried at anything, but if I watched Lion King today I would genuinely cry at the scene where his dad dies :cry:
Oh yes and that one :rolleyes: I'm such a wuss at watching TV. When I was little I never cried at anything, but if I watched Lion King today I would genuinely cry at the scene where his dad dies :cry:

I'm usually alright with Disney but have you seen Bridge to Terabithia? I had a small mental breakdown at that film, books as well I get too involved and end up sobbing ha ha :3
I have the hygiene OCD...and its literally screwing up life. I feel really anxious if im detained from washing my hands :frown:
I'm usually alright with Disney but have you seen Bridge to Terabithia? I had a small mental breakdown at that film, books as well I get too involved and end up sobbing ha ha :3

I haven't seen it, but I've heard it's bad :tongue: Oh and I do the same with books too, especially really good ones, sometimes I feel like crying after finishing a book, even if it had a good ending, just because I don't want it to be over :rolleyes:
Is it normal to be scared of being bored? or is this stress? i cant work it out. I lead a pretty busy life and when i dont have anything to do for an hour or so i can get really scared, i dont know if this is anxiety or what? it gets me down when i get all panicy
i've looked it up and it doesnt seem to be a phobia really
does anyone else feel like this? or know of anything lke this? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest