The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dungeonkeepr
yup, definitely. One of my best mates got into uni with an access course. What are you looking to study, can I ask? (oh dear, less topic-ey now, I feel bad, it's such a good thread) On the plus side, you can definitely show enthusiasm and determination and stuff :smile:

I guess it's alright to go a little off topic it's good to get to know people who have the same kind of issues.

I'm wanting to do Creative Writing with English Language but if the right uni comes up and they only do it with English Lit I'll take it.
:clap2: Well done you!:biggrin:
Original post by Beebumble
I guess it's alright to go a little off topic it's good to get to know people who have the same kind of issues.

I'm wanting to do Creative Writing with English Language but if the right uni comes up and they only do it with English Lit I'll take it.

That's really cool! Best of luck with that :biggrin: I'm certain that it'll go at the least decently (I'm aiming for an encouraging, yet not over the top response. Plus I am pretty sure. After all, the mighty machine of TSR's army of personal statement checkers and resources to back you! :biggrin: )
That's really cool! Best of luck with that :biggrin: I'm certain that it'll go at the least decently (I'm aiming for an encouraging, yet not over the top response. Plus I am pretty sure. After all, the mighty machine of TSR's army of personal statement checkers and resources to back you! :biggrin: )

Thank you. I've already started on my PS (I felt inspired :biggrin:) and I'll defiantly be submitting it into PS helper and get my college tutor (whoever that will be) and best friend, (who can spot the slightest grammar mistake a mile off) to look over it as well.

I'm guessing you're at uni already? What do you do?
Thank you. I've already started on my PS (I felt inspired :biggrin:) and I'll defiantly be submitting it into PS helper and get my college tutor (whoever that will be) and best friend, (who can spot the slightest grammar mistake a mile off) to look over it as well.

I'm guessing you're at uni already? What do you do?

I'm second year economics at Southampton. If you have any questions, feel free to PM. :smile: (if you have the money bouncing around and fancy jumping into the unknown during a uni summer, I'm also knowledgeable about a couple of summer abroad programmes - my way of dealing with panic is to keep jumping into new situations I have to deal with; can't keep being anxious, want to be a maths teacher :P )
I'm second year economics at Southampton. If you have any questions, feel free to PM. :smile: (if you have the money bouncing around and fancy jumping into the unknown during a uni summer, I'm also knowledgeable about a couple of summer abroad programmes - my way of dealing with panic is to keep jumping into new situations I have to deal with; can't keep being anxious, want to be a maths teacher :P )

Oh wow I'm always jealous of people who are good at Maths.:tongue: Southampton seems like a nice uni it's a shame they don't have any courses that appeal to me.

I am so broke right now it's unbelievable I really need a job but truth is that I had such bad experiences at my last job that it's really knocked my confidence in getting a new one.:frown:
I was last on here yesterday.. but so much has happened..
I likes it though... share the love! :grouphugs:

I'll just try to slip back into the thread here :smile:

Havent had a great day.. not directly due to being anxious but more the products of my anxiety were a tad annoying
Didnt really have a proper dinner yesterday as my dad's gilfriend came round and even though I insisted I eat separately I still didnt manage much..
Then didnt eat / drink anything today so was a tad woozy and not all there today and all headachey and generally :frown:
The hot weather definitely didnt help.

Ah wells.. had a bit of a feast when I got home so I'm all :biggrin: now
Original post by spoinkytheduck
I was last on here yesterday.. but so much has happened..
I likes it though... share the love! :grouphugs:

I'll just try to slip back into the thread here :smile:

Havent had a great day.. not directly due to being anxious but more the products of my anxiety were a tad annoying
Didnt really have a proper dinner yesterday as my dad's gilfriend came round and even though I insisted I eat separately I still didnt manage much..
Then didnt eat / drink anything today so was a tad woozy and not all there today and all headachey and generally :frown:
The hot weather definitely didnt help.

Ah wells.. had a bit of a feast when I got home so I'm all :biggrin: now

Oh dear, not eating :unimpressed: Still, good to hear you feasted eventually :smile:

I agree about the heat, it's made me a lot more anxious and also felt much less like eating :frown: The forecast said it would rain and cool down this afternoon but it hasn't :mad:
Oh wow I'm always jealous of people who are good at Maths.:tongue: Southampton seems like a nice uni it's a shame they don't have any courses that appeal to me.

I am so broke right now it's unbelievable I really need a job but truth is that I had such bad experiences at my last job that it's really knocked my confidence in getting a new one.:frown:

It is a pretty nice uni, though my course is bad :frown: Find a place with a course you like - and get recommendations from people already there on that course. I think if I'd done that, I'd be less irritated :frown:

Aw, that sucks. You just have to remember that they're all different and that some are bad, but some are really nice - you might be able to get a job through the uni, that'll work around your timetable, for instance, or any other problems you need to work around :smile: (when you get there :tongue: )
Original post by Amwazicles
Oh dear, not eating :unimpressed: Still, good to hear you feasted eventually :smile:

I agree about the heat, it's made me a lot more anxious and also felt much less like eating :frown: The forecast said it would rain and cool down this afternoon but it hasn't :mad:

Then they said its going to cool down tomorrow.. they have to be right at some point! :rolleyes:

Although did want to wear a pwetty dress tomorrow though..
Hhmmm.. reduced anxiety or fashion??? :tongue:
Having some friend troubles so here is my vent:

Basically, we have a friend circle of 5 of us who are generally close, do things together etc. I don't really have any friends outside of this who are close at all, although some of the more 'promiscuous' of the group have other fairly close friends apart from the 5. Recently, we've all finished school so seeing each other less regularly and it's a bit more hard work to arrange things when we are rarely all together to talk at the same time, having to rely on texts and facebook for contact.

I tend to be the one that arranges it when we do things, and if we have a sleepover etc, it's usually (always) at my house, and I'm the one that organises everything, like finding days we are all free and so on. It makes me feel like a bit of a mug :frown:

This is made worse by the fact they are all so temperamental in arranging things. A few examples: Friend H1 is extremely erratic in responding to contact at all. She will say something like "I might be free tomorrow, text me in the morning", and then when I do, she simply doesn't reply. Even if she lost her phone or something, I would appreciate a text, even days later, saying 'sorry just got your message' or something - anything. Is this being needy? I'm pretty sure I would do that if similar happened to me like my phone ran out of charge or something, but maybe I shouldn't be expecting that.

Friend P is generally incomprehensible in lots of ways. One example is that our prom is in a few weeks, and she was one of only two in the group yet to buy a prom dress. But today, H2 (who is closer to P than anyone else... sorry if this is confusing) 'let slip' that P has actuall had a dress for weeks, and didn't want H2 to tell anyone else. I mentioned this to P over facebook, and she fobbed me off, changing the subject and then saying something like 'I thought I'd change my mind' or something. Even if she didn't want us to see the dress before the day or something like that, I literally have no idea why she would want to keep a secret the fact she had even bought one. Am I being unreasonable?Another example: We have a sleepover planned for next week (has been planned for around a month or more - the only way I can pin them all down on a date), and it had all been sorted that we were all free and meeting at my house at midday. Then last week, after we had all finished school and it was theoretical we might not actually see each other again until the sleepover date, we happened to meet up. I mentioned something about sleepover and she then decided to say "oh actually, I am busy that day and can't come over until three o clock or later, my mum has an exam and I have to babysit" (she has baby siblings). It's not just the fact that she seemed not to know this until such short notice (surely her mum's exams would have been booked many weeks or even months in advance), but also that she mentioned it casually, as if she hadn't planned to tell me at all. What would she have done if we hadn't seen each other until the sleepover? I honestly can't imagine.

All this makes me feel like a complete mug because I am always the one who organises things and tries to pin everyone down, even though they are all so 'slippery'. And they never offer real explanations for why they suddenly are busy with one day's notice, but I feel like I always try my best to give reasons if I have to cancel plans, so I just feel like I am 'putting more in' to the friendship than they are. But at the same time, I don't want to give up on planning things, because if I didn't do it, no-one would, and I do actually like seeing them.

I've just read this over and it sounds really irritating and needy, and the sort of post that would annoy me if I read it, but I'm gonna post anyway :frown: Congrats if you read this far...
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Then they said its going to cool down tomorrow.. they have to be right at some point! :rolleyes:

Although did want to wear a pwetty dress tomorrow though..
Hhmmm.. reduced anxiety or fashion??? :tongue:

Haha, such a hard decision... The troubles we have, eh?
Having some friend troubles so here is my vent:

Basically, we have a friend circle of 5 of us who are generally close, do things together etc. I don't really have any friends outside of this who are close at all, although some of the more 'promiscuous' of the group have other fairly close friends apart from the 5. Recently, we've all finished school so seeing each other less regularly and it's a bit more hard work to arrange things when we are rarely all together to talk at the same time, having to rely on texts and facebook for contact.

I tend to be the one that arranges it when we do things, and if we have a sleepover etc, it's usually (always) at my house, and I'm the one that organises everything, like finding days we are all free and so on. It makes me feel like a bit of a mug :frown:

This is made worse by the fact they are all so temperamental in arranging things. A few examples: Friend H1 is extremely erratic in responding to contact at all. She will say something like "I might be free tomorrow, text me in the morning", and then when I do, she simply doesn't reply. Even if she lost her phone or something, I would appreciate a text, even days later, saying 'sorry just got your message' or something - anything. Is this being needy? I'm pretty sure I would do that if similar happened to me like my phone ran out of charge or something, but maybe I shouldn't be expecting that.

Friend P is generally incomprehensible in lots of ways. One example is that our prom is in a few weeks, and she was one of only two in the group yet to buy a prom dress. But today, H2 (who is closer to P than anyone else... sorry if this is confusing) 'let slip' that P has actuall had a dress for weeks, and didn't want H2 to tell anyone else. I mentioned this to P over facebook, and she fobbed me off, changing the subject and then saying something like 'I thought I'd change my mind' or something. Even if she didn't want us to see the dress before the day or something like that, I literally have no idea why she would want to keep a secret the fact she had even bought one. Am I being unreasonable?Another example: We have a sleepover planned for next week (has been planned for around a month or more - the only way I can pin them all down on a date), and it had all been sorted that we were all free and meeting at my house at midday. Then last week, after we had all finished school and it was theoretical we might not actually see each other again until the sleepover date, we happened to meet up. I mentioned something about sleepover and she then decided to say "oh actually, I am busy that day and can't come over until three o clock or later, my mum has an exam and I have to babysit" (she has baby siblings). It's not just the fact that she seemed not to know this until such short notice (surely her mum's exams would have been booked many weeks or even months in advance), but also that she mentioned it casually, as if she hadn't planned to tell me at all. What would she have done if we hadn't seen each other until the sleepover? I honestly can't imagine.

All this makes me feel like a complete mug because I am always the one who organises things and tries to pin everyone down, even though they are all so 'slippery'. And they never offer real explanations for why they suddenly are busy with one day's notice, but I feel like I always try my best to give reasons if I have to cancel plans, so I just feel like I am 'putting more in' to the friendship than they are. But at the same time, I don't want to give up on planning things, because if I didn't do it, no-one would, and I do actually like seeing them.

I've just read this over and it sounds really irritating and needy, and the sort of post that would annoy me if I read it, but I'm gonna post anyway :frown: Congrats if you read this far...
Aww You don't sound needy you just want to spend time with your friends surely they wouldn't be your friends if you didn't want to spend time with them.

I used hang out with a group like yours and it was a nightmare trying to plan something but I remember one time we all on MSN and my mate said "Hey you want to go shopping?" and we were all like "what now?" And we did go shopping just like that and it was a light bulb moment as the fact it was so easy to go out together at the drop of hat instead of planning a particular date when no one really knows what they're doing. Spontaneity is the key.

I've not kept any of my school friends (we just went our separate ways). That probably scares you:redface: but what I'm saying is that you're going to sixth form or college now right ? Where you'll make new friends and everyone will suddenly grow up a lot more you'll hopefully start earning your own money (if you don't do that already) which will mean no relying on the bank of mum and dad a might get a little more freedom.

You might still have the same group of friends I sometimes see stuff on FB and I'm like "Gee do they still all hang out," but I think that all depends on what you and your friends decide to do after school.

In the words of the Beatles (heard the song today:biggrin:) Let it be. Whatever happens just don't let them grind you down if things. If things are supposed to work out they will and if not then you can go make lots of new friends and hopefully ones who are a lot less 'slippery'.

Hopefully that makes sense.:smile::redface:
Hate to mope on TSR, but it's ruined my life.

I can't go anywhere. I've lost touch with all my friends. I spend my time alone on the weekend.

I've lost all ambition, leaving me stuck in a dead-end job.

My friends try to get me to go out, but I just can't. I really appreciate their efforts and it really tears me up when I make up excuses to avoid going out. I'm sure they're fed up of me.

I've got to the point where I don't know what I'm going to do, whether I will be stuck like this for the rest of my life.

The stuff I'm missing out on...

(My friends don't know that I have this problem. I was always the up-beat person at school, making jokes and having fun, but now I feel I've become grossly uninteresting)
Original post by Lust of a Gardener

I can't go anywhere. I've lost touch with all my friends. I spend my time alone on the weekend.

My friends try to get me to go out, but I just can't. I really appreciate their efforts and it really tears me up when I make up excuses to avoid going out. I'm sure they're fed up of me.

I've got to the point where I don't know what I'm going to do, whether I will be stuck like this for the rest of my life.

(My friends don't know that I have this problem. I was always the up-beat person at school, making jokes and having fun, but now I feel I've become grossly uninteresting)

:hugs: I don't really no what to suggest but I'll try.

I know what it's like when you feel like when you feel like you have no friends but you do have friends. Would you keep asking someone to go out if you were fed up of them?

I think you need to talk to them not tell them everything but just, "look, I've just got some stuff going on in my head right now and I need to sort myself out but I'll still be around once I got my **** together." That she get them off your back for a while but letting them know that you're still willing to be friends. Chances are they've noticed somethings up if you keep making excuses.

In terms of going out I do think you should try and get out just dress up nice go to the shop and smile at people it'll be a real confidence boost. I always tend to listen to my ipod when I go out so if I feel anxious I can just concentrate on the music (and incoming traffic).

Wishing you lots of luckxx:smile:

Oh and this is really off topic but your dog is beautiful.
(edited 12 years ago)
Aww You don't sound needy you just want to spend time with your friends surely they wouldn't be your friends if you didn't want to spend time with them.

I used hang out with a group like yours and it was a nightmare trying to plan something but I remember one time we all on MSN and my mate said "Hey you want to go shopping?" and we were all like "what now?" And we did go shopping just like that and it was a light bulb moment as the fact it was so easy to go out together at the drop of hat instead of planning a particular date when no one really knows what they're doing. Spontaneity is the key.

I've not kept any of my school friends (we just went our separate ways). That probably scares you:redface: but what I'm saying is that you're going to sixth form or college now right ? Where you'll make new friends and everyone will suddenly grow up a lot more you'll hopefully start earning your own money (if you don't do that already) which will mean no relying on the bank of mum and dad a might get a little more freedom.

You might still have the same group of friends I sometimes see stuff on FB and I'm like "Gee do they still all hang out," but I think that all depends on what you and your friends decide to do after school.

In the words of the Beatles (heard the song today:biggrin:) Let it be. Whatever happens just don't let them grind you down if things. If things are supposed to work out they will and if not then you can go make lots of new friends and hopefully ones who are a lot less 'slippery'.

Hopefully that makes sense.:smile::redface:

Yeah that does make sense. I'm sort of hopeful about college and I will definitely try and meet new people. But I have kind of low self esteem so am a bit not confident about meeting new people etc, I'm paranoid they won't like me.

And I also don't want to get my hopes up too much because I remember thinking similarly "when i get to secondary school, it will all be different, people will be grown up etc", and then it was just the same. If not worse. So I don't wanna get hopes up and it not be as good as I hoped for.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lust of a Gardener

That sounds horrible :hugs:

I agree with BeeBumble, definitely speak to your friends, just at least tell them you're having a hard time and you could do with a bit of support and understanding, of course they will understand - they are your friends.

If it is really affecting your life this much, maybe you could try seeing your doctor and/or a counsellor? Maybe medication or counselling could help you get back 'on your feet' again and able to get out a bit more, and that in turn will help you feel better, but it's starting off that is the hard part.

:smile:
Yeah that does make sense. I'm sort of hopeful about college and I will definitely try and meet new people. But I have kind of low self esteem so am a bit not confident about meeting new people etc, I'm paranoid they won't like me.

And I also don't want to get my hopes up too much because I remember thinking similarly "when i get to secondary school, it will all be different, people will be grown up etc", and then it was just the same. If not worse. So I don't wanna get hopes up and it not be as good as I hoped for.

When you start a new place where everyone's new it's so easy to make friends just look as friendly as you can and people will eventually approach you.

I thought the same had a horrible time at primary and secondary school but college is different because you're practically adults now! Don't worry if there are some ignorant idiots in your class(es) because you'll find that they'll be gone within three months it's hell of allot easier for them to kick someone out of college the it is at school.

Can ask what you're planning to at college?
When you start a new place where everyone's new it's so easy to make friends just look as friendly as you can and people will eventually approach you.

I thought the same had a horrible time at primary and secondary school but college is different because you're practically adults now! Don't worry if there are some ignorant idiots in your class(es) because you'll find that they'll be gone within three months it's hell of allot easier for them to kick someone out of college the it is at school.

Can ask what you're planning to at college?

I'm doing A levels: maths, physics, psychology, philosophy and photography... Had my enrolment today! :biggrin:

I'm doing A levels: maths, physics, psychology, philosophy and photography... Had my enrolment today! :biggrin:

So basically Maths and everything beginning with the letter P.:tongue:

Good luck.xx

Quick Reply

Latest