The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

I have made leaps and bounds over the past year in terms of my social anxiety, however i have a fair way to go yet. A year ago i was literally at my lowest point, i had no direction in my life, very few friends and i stayed in my room playing video games all day. One day i said f*** it and decided to just go to a night club with a few people and it changed my perspective a whole lot. I started going out more and more until i really enjoyed going clubbing and interacting with new people. I then found myself in an office job dealing with people all the time in person and over the phone. As my confidence grew i decided to take a huge leap and move out into university. I'm currently sat here a few weeks in, having made so many friends with flatmates, course mates and others around campus. Im really enjoying myself however there is still an aspect of my social anxiety i am yet to conquer. That is public speaking. My course involves a lot of presentations/discussions and i have had a few awkward moments whilst standing up and speaking on my own already. This is literally a huge thing that i want to get over so if anyone has any advice for tackling public speaking then please provide my with any tips! Thanks :smile:
Some books are really great for this. I read the books by mark hyman and Presence and positivity the new energy sources of the 21st century by Victor Hagen is super solid. best books ive read. Because it teaches you where to get new energy from as well when you're tired. Its on amazon
My Anxiety I think has always been there. I was always a nervous child and it got worse in Secondary School but it was controllable it only got bad when I was bullied and if I was late for lesson. Then I started college and in my first year I was okay my anxiety wasn't really a problem apart from the sickness.

In the summer after my first year things got worse. I kept being physically sick with my heart beating fast and it made doing normal things really difficult and eventually just before my second year I was diagnosed with anxiety at the doctors and then after that through my second and third year (last year) even with counselling. It went downhill hill from there. I was diagnosed with depression and GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) and I lost my best friend over that (among with a few other issues). I still blame myself for that and how I made her feel down for depending on her too much for support and I'm still grieving over our friendship.

Now I will be off to University soon and it scares me. What if my anxiety gets bad. What If I have a best friend again only to ruin it again.
Not gonna go into a full blown story, but my anxiety sucks, and I'm done trying to make people understand how it feels. Because they rarely do understand, and they are not at fault for this. Anxiety makes you feel physical pain, mental fatigue and it's all sorts of bad...sadly, there is still so many people who don't take this seriously. Because 'it's all in your head!' I wish people were more aware. But we are getting there, that's a good thing!
Would disliking crowded places qualify as "anxiety"?

I don't particularly feel panicked. I just get annoyed with people pushing or walking into one another like aimless sheep.

And few things make me more pyssed on a night out than when some hyperactive noob in front of me in a crowd starts flinging his arms around and knocks my drink into the air.
Overthinking is one of the things I struggle with most.

My partner almost left me for someone else a couple of months into the relationship, and whenever he's on his phone I worry that he's texting her.

Realistically I know he probably isn't, but sometimes the thoughts just run wild and I start worrying about what will happen to me if he leaves me.

Our relationship would be so amazing if it weren't for this constant anxiety that it was going to end.
Original post by cdsmith1990
I've kinda suffered in silence with pretty bad anxiety for years now, I really dont know what to do about it.. Like I get nervous being around people, out in public, sitting on a bus or train, being up in front of my college group.. I get really tense and agitated and get nervous sweats.. It's been like this for a while now, I suffered really bad depression about 18 months ago where I was having suicidal thoughts and panic attacks. That's gone now but the anxiety remains and has done for probably 7 or 8 years now.

It's ****ing killing me and I don't know what to do. :frown:
Hello. I am Ella. I am 18 years old and I suffer with social anxiety. By reading this, you literally feel the same way as I do when I go out to social places. I have had many anxiety panic attacks while being out. I never go out I always trap myself in my room and always refuse to leave. I have been suffering with social anxiety since I was 12. I also suffer with depression, suffering with both is hell tbh. I truly understand where you are coming from and how you feel. I am here for you. I promise. Ella:smile:).
I hope you are well better now, I totally understand you, probably the last thing you want to hear but try to stay on the positive side of things.

Quick Reply

Latest