The Student Room Group

Language applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Banoffeepie16
That's a shame. I really wish my school offered German, but no joy :/
I guess it just depends on the school you go to.

Yeah i guess it does.... :/
So does your school offer french and spanish?
Our school used to offer all 3 but it doesnt anymore so I never got to learn spanish :/
I think also it'd be too scary starting a new language at uni....i'd get totally lost as well because of the speed it'd be taught at!!! haha
Original post by Pi!
I wish the school I went to for GCSEs did German. My cousins that go to another school do German and it sounds awesome. But Spanish is lovely. I like it because it's widely spoken, sounds beautiful and the culture of Spain and Latin America is interesting.

Oh. I was under the impression everyone could learn german but from the people on here obviously not!! :frown:
Yes german is pretty cool but im sure spanish is equally good :biggrin:
Original post by BeccaCath94
Oh. I was under the impression everyone could learn german but from the people on here obviously not!! :frown:
Yes german is pretty cool but im sure spanish is equally good :biggrin:

Nope, German is probably the least popular language at the moment. Schools and unis all over the place have dropped or are dropping it; it's so sad.
Original post by such_a_lady
Nope, German is probably the least popular language at the moment. Schools and unis all over the place have dropped or are dropping it; it's so sad.

:O :O
Whys that??
The only reason I can think of is that its not widely spoken so less popular....
Just thought I would ask... is a language degree competitive? Also, can language degrees provide you with a springboard to good paying jobs?
Thanks.
Yeah i guess it does.... :/
So does your school offer french and spanish?
Our school used to offer all 3 but it doesnt anymore so I never got to learn spanish :/
I think also it'd be too scary starting a new language at uni....i'd get totally lost as well because of the speed it'd be taught at!!! haha

My school only offered French and Spanish... but my college offers French, Spanish, German, Russian and Italian as A levels or GCSEs... there's also a Japanese asset course. (You can take Italian, Spanish and Russian up to A level from scratch).

Learning a new language at Uni could be great :biggrin: are you thinking of taking up Spanish? I guess it would be quite intimidating at first though!
My school only offered French and Spanish... but my college offers French, Spanish, German, Russian and Italian as A levels or GCSEs... there's also a Japanese asset course. (You can take Italian, Spanish and Russian up to A level from scratch).

Learning a new language at Uni could be great :biggrin: are you thinking of taking up Spanish? I guess it would be quite intimidating at first though!

Ooh very cool!!!
No I dont think so, I want to do maths and german so I think spanish from scratch would be a bit much!!!
Ooh very cool!!!
No I dont think so, I want to do maths and german so I think spanish from scratch would be a bit much!!!

Oh right! :biggrin: Yeah that would be quite a lot of extra work aha.
Good luck with everything :smile:
Oh right! :biggrin: Yeah that would be quite a lot of extra work aha.
Good luck with everything :smile:

Haha
Aww thank you....you too!!! :biggrin:
What do you want to do?
:O :O
Whys that??
The only reason I can think of is that its not widely spoken so less popular....

Erm...not quite...German has 100 million native speakers in Europe alone...

Original post by RastaMannn
Just thought I would ask... is a language degree competitive? Also, can language degrees provide you with a springboard to good paying jobs?
Thanks.

After medicine and law graduates, languages graduates are the most sought-after :yes:
Haha
Aww thank you....you too!!! :biggrin:
What do you want to do?

I want to study French and Spanish :biggrin:
I don't know 100% what I want to do after but I guess I'll figure that out during a degree :tongue:
Reply 191
Thanks.

Depends on the language, and what you do with it. Most people I know think a language degree isn't worth a lot, it might be different in the UK but I'm not sure. Generally, the problem is that you're basically trying to become bilingual (or more, if course), and that doesn't necessarily happen, which isn't exactly a turn on for some 'good paying' firms. Why hire someone who has studied the language for 4 years and isn't fluent rather than a native speaker?
Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely excited to study Japanese, but I doubt that the financially better-than-average jobs are up for grabs just because you have a language degree.

That being said, I know a guy who went to Oxford, studied English literature there and now he's someone high up in the Singaporean Army/Defense thingy. :wink:
Thanks.

Original post by Kitebo
Depends on the language, and what you do with it. Most people I know think a language degree isn't worth a lot, it might be different in the UK but I'm not sure. Generally, the problem is that you're basically trying to become bilingual (or more, if course), and that doesn't necessarily happen, which isn't exactly a turn on for some 'good paying' firms. Why hire someone who has studied the language for 4 years and isn't fluent rather than a native speaker?
Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely excited to study Japanese, but I doubt that the financially better-than-average jobs are up for grabs just because you have a language degree.

That being said, I know a guy who went to Oxford, studied English literature there and now he's someone high up in the Singaporean Army/Defense thingy. :wink:

http://www.languageswork.org.uk/home.aspx
Reply 193

Good website! But the question was if a language degree will automatically catapult you into a well-paid job, and I still don't believe that's the case. I mean, yes, languages are extremely valuable assets, but what you can and will actually do with them is a bit more vague than an average degree in economics or related subject. A bit more creativity is required.
Not saying that its not possible to get a very well paid job, just saying that I personally don't believe that a company will hire you solely based on your language degree. The question 'besides languages, what can you do' will probably pop up :wink:
Original post by Kitebo
Good website! But the question was if a language degree will automatically catapult you into a well-paid job, and I still don't believe that's the case. I mean, yes, languages are extremely valuable assets, but what you can and will actually do with them is a bit more vague than an average degree in economics or related subject. A bit more creativity is required.
Not saying that its not possible to get a very well paid job, just saying that I personally don't believe that a company will hire you solely based on your language degree. The question 'besides languages, what can you do' will probably pop up :wink:

In the current climate, how many graduates actually get catapulted into a well-paid job anyway?

I think something like 75% of employers want people with some basic language skill: language proficiency shows the ability to think logically and analytically while being able to think creatively and outside the box; good communication skills, opens doors to more people and businesses...I think lots of companies appreciate the skills acquired while studying languages. Economics is a social science while languages are humanities, hence a totally different job market anyway. There's always combined degrees/part time courses if the student is desperate to become a multilingual investment banker...
In the current climate, how many graduates actually get catapulted into a well-paid job anyway?

I think something like 75% of employers want people with some basic language skill: language proficiency shows the ability to think logically and analytically while being able to think creatively and outside the box; good communication skills, opens doors to more people and businesses...I think lots of companies appreciate the skills acquired while studying languages. Economics is a social science while languages are humanities, hence a totally different job market anyway. There's always combined degrees/part time courses if the student is desperate to become a multilingual investment banker...

Which is why I'm doing Economics with German :colonhash:
Original post by -Illmatic-
Which is why I'm doing Economics with German :colonhash:

Yeah im doing maths with german: a) because they fit together wel, b) i enjoy thewm both, c) i couldnt cope with one subject for 4 years!!, d) it gives you more choice and scope after :biggrin:
You're doing Ich fuehl mich so scheisse scheisse? It's more badly written than Twilight. I can't stand books written in the present tense: it just sounds simplistic and the author is so patronising. I think you can understand why I'm avoiding uni courses with either 20th century literature or an emphasis on 20th century history LIKE THE PLAGUE. And if you mention that book as "literature" in your PS they'll just laugh at you. That's how bad it is.

That's impressive. Feels a wee bit like a loner on here as I seem to be the only one not doing that book. Doing Der Vorleser instead. Is quite good, mainly in the imperfect. Don't really like the characters though. Michael tries to justify EVERYTHING Hanna does because she can't read, and I don't like Hanna as a person, she appears to be incredibly manipulative, appears really innocent on the surface, but I think she knows what shes doing. i.e the whole Michael watching her put on her stockings.
Reply 198
Original post by .snowflake.
That's impressive. Feels a wee bit like a loner on here as I seem to be the only one not doing that book. Doing Der Vorleser instead. Is quite good, mainly in the imperfect. Don't really like the characters though. Michael tries to justify EVERYTHING Hanna does because she can't read, and I don't like Hanna as a person, she appears to be incredibly manipulative, appears really innocent on the surface, but I think she knows what shes doing. i.e the whole Michael watching her put on her stockings.

I'm a German ab initio applicant, and I just finished reading Der Vorleser in English! :smile:
Original post by -raisa
I'm a German ab initio applicant, and I just finished reading Der Vorleser in English! :smile:

The english translation is,not my fave. I much prefer the original. Just little things where in the english Hanna called Michael 'kid' in german it's 'Jungchen', which, to me, sounds kinder. The sex bit after the bath scene is less weird in german and the 'Are you going to take a bath wearing your trousers?' part is just funnier in german, or atleast it was the first time I read it.

But yeah, German = <3. Apparently if you know both german and english, dutch isnt too difficult to learn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending