The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Official Loughborough University - Applicant Thread 2024

Hello :smile:

Welcome to the Loughborough applicants thread for 2024 for all prospective applicants. It's also a thread where you can have a general chat and ask any questions you can't find the answer to.

The most common FAQs are answered in the drop-downs below, so have a look there first. There are a lot of answers on the University website too, but feel free to ask here if you can't find what you need.

How to apply

Entry requirements

International students

Mature students

Deferred entry

Fees and finance

After applying

How long does it take to reply

Interviews

Visit days

Rejected despite meeting the minimum requirements

After receiving an offer

Replying to an offer

Accommodation

Results day and Clearing

Hopefully all of this helps towards answering some of your questions!

If there is anything else you need to know - just ask - we're always happy to help :smile:

- Loughborough Team
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

hey, im studing alevel business, economics and sociology and I’m predicted A*AB and my GCSEs are 765555433, do you think I could be offered a place
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by Anonymous
hey, im studing alevel business, economics and sociology and I’m predicted A*AB and my GCSEs are 765555433, do you think I could be offered a place

For what course?
Original post by DataVenia
For what course?

Marketing and management
Marketing and management

Well, the typical offer is AAB, and your predicted grades exceed that. There are no specific A level subject requirements, but your subjects seem fine anyway. (The most popular A-Levels studied by existing students of that course are Business Studies, Mathematics and Psychology - source). So far, so good.

If there's an issue, I suspect it'll be that they also want "Minimum grade 6/B in Maths and English Language"'. You've listed your GCSE grades, two of which are grade 6 or above, but haven't mentioned which subjects they're in. What were your GCSE Maths and English Language grades?

With regards to GCSE Maths they say, "GCSE Maths grade 6. There is no flexibility in this requirement. However, we will consider a grade B in Level 3 Core Maths as a suitable alternative."

For GCSE English there is some flexibility, as they say, "GCSE English Language grade 6. If you have achieved grade 5 in GCSE English Language, we can still consider an application if you have: Grade 6 or above in GCSE English Literature OR at least one essay-based subject at A level". Their list of essay-based subjects include all three of your A levels, so they would still consider your application if your GCSE English Language grade was a 5. Is it?

There is a little further flexibility for "applicants with a contextual indicator". Does that apply to you?
Original post by DataVenia
Well, the typical offer is AAB, and your predicted grades exceed that. There are no specific A level subject requirements, but your subjects seem fine anyway. (The most popular A-Levels studied by existing students of that course are Business Studies, Mathematics and Psychology - source). So far, so good.

If there's an issue, I suspect it'll be that they also want "Minimum grade 6/B in Maths and English Language"'. You've listed your GCSE grades, two of which are grade 6 or above, but haven't mentioned which subjects they're in. What were your GCSE Maths and English Language grades?

With regards to GCSE Maths they say, "GCSE Maths grade 6. There is no flexibility in this requirement. However, we will consider a grade B in Level 3 Core Maths as a suitable alternative."

For GCSE English there is some flexibility, as they say, "GCSE English Language grade 6. If you have achieved grade 5 in GCSE English Language, we can still consider an application if you have: Grade 6 or above in GCSE English Literature OR at least one essay-based subject at A level". Their list of essay-based subjects include all three of your A levels, so they would still consider your application if your GCSE English Language grade was a 5. Is it?

There is a little further flexibility for "applicants with a contextual indicator". Does that apply to you?

Yeah, I have looked up the contextual indicator and I know that I apply to that but I was just wondering about the GCSEs
I have a grade 5 in English language and literature and maths and all of my A-level subjects are essay-based.
Yeah, I have looked up the contextual indicator and I know that I apply to that but I was just wondering about the GCSEs
I have a grade 5 in English language and literature and maths and all of my A-level subjects are essay-based.

Well, all of that would have been really useful information to have includes in your first post.

As I read the "GCSE entry requirement exceptions" on their Marketing and Management BSc (Hons) page, here, it does not apply to GCSE Maths. Here's what it says (beneath the "GCSE English Language grade 6" heading):

"We may also consider applicants with a contextual indicator who have achieved a grade 4 or 5 in GCSE English Language who do not meet the above criteria. Please refer to our Contextual Admissions Policy for further information on the contextual indicators used by the University."

I suspect, therefore, that this still applies: "GCSE Maths grade 6. There is no flexibility in this requirement. However, we will consider a grade B in Level 3 Core Maths as a suitable alternative."

You probably want to contact the admissions team to be 100% sure though.
Around what time do Loughborough start sending out offers?
Original post by doriangraayy

Hi @doriangraayy

I received my offer from Loughborough around November time but it can depend on what course you've applied for and when you submitted your application as to when you'll hear back. If you've applied before the 26th January deadline we aim to have made a decision by March so don't worry if you don't hear back immediately. If you are concerned about you application or it gets close to the deadline for replying in May then you can contact admissions and include your full name and UCAS ID number and they will be able to help you.

I hope this helped and if you have any other questions just let us know or you may want to take a look at our applications FAQs page :smile:

Jess
Original post by Loughborough Student Community
Hi @doriangraayy

I received my offer from Loughborough around November time but it can depend on what course you've applied for and when you submitted your application as to when you'll hear back. If you've applied before the 26th January deadline we aim to have made a decision by March so don't worry if you don't hear back immediately. If you are concerned about you application or it gets close to the deadline for replying in May then you can contact admissions and include your full name and UCAS ID number and they will be able to help you.

I hope this helped and if you have any other questions just let us know or you may want to take a look at our applications FAQs page :smile:

Jess

Thank you so much!!
Reply 10

Received my offer today. So have started sending them out!
Reply 11
Original post by zoebednarz

same!

just got mine too! congratulations!! :smile:)

Hi @zoebednarz

Congratulations on your offer!

If you have any other questions just let us know :smile:

Jess
Original post by cocom
same!

Hi @cocom

It's great to hear you've received your offer - well done!

If there's anything we can help you with just let us know :smile:

Jess
just got mine too! congratulations!! :smile:)

Hi @doriangraayy

Congrats on your offer!

If you have any questions just let us know we'd be happy to help :smile:

Jess
Reply 16

Did you have an interview or was your offer just based on your UCAS application?
hey all, if you have gotten an offer from loughborough, say hi here: Official Loughborough University Offer Holders Thread for 2024 entry - The Student Room and view other official offer holder threads here: Official Offer Holder Threads for 2024 - The Student Room
Reply 18
Hi I’ve had one offer for sports psychology a few days ago but still nothing for sports exercise and health sciences. Any idea when I should hear, it’s been about 3 weeks now. Thanks
Original post by aabbxxzz
Hi I’ve had one offer for sports psychology a few days ago but still nothing for sports exercise and health sciences. Any idea when I should hear, it’s been about 3 weeks now. Thanks

Hi @aabbxxzz,

Great to hear you're interested in studying at Loughborough. If you are concerned about the status of your application, you are welcome to email [email protected] with your UCAS Personal ID Number and the team can update you on the status of your application.

Lindsay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending