The Student Room Group

Language applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Banoffeepie16
I've visited 10 :smile: I usually go with my mum or dad :tongue:
Yeah it's such a shame they don't do German :/
Which Unis are you interested in so far?

10?? Ive been to 1 so far!!! haha :/ But am going to lancaster in august then the rest are in september/october. :smile:
They must be getting sick of it! haha :tongue:
It is a great shame yeah because it looks very good but im still unsure if im going to do german even though i really enjoy it but I might just do Maths with a year abroad...
Ermmm Sheffield, Leicester and Lancaster (obviously!!) Then theres about 10 more including Heriot Watt, Royal Holloway, Leeds, Birmingham, Liverpool..... :biggrin:
What about you?
Original post by lilGem
I really want to have a look at Sheffield- I've been dwelling over it as I hear it's a great university with a great SU and department but it's so far away from where I live :frown:

Sheffield is great!! Its in a great location too and its modern... :smile:
Where do you live?
Thats like me with Bristol...too far :frown:
Same here, I'm quite confident with French + Spanish but I think I missed things out in my English Language exam, and I definitely missed things out in my history exam :frown: I just hope I can get 3 As so I don't have to re-sit :frown:

Which englishlanguage course did you do? AQA B or something else?
I really messed up the AQA Eng lang B exam but hopefully my coursework will get me up to a B!!
Original post by such_a_lady
Pssht, I'm applying for St A's which is 8.5 hours away :colone:

Haha thats dedication!! :biggrin: Do you live in london or something?

I liked the Sheffield course but not the city :redface:

:redface: Whats wrong with the city?? I thought it was very nice :/
Reply 384
Original post by BeccaCath94
Sheffield is great!! Its in a great location too and its modern... :smile:
Where do you live?
Thats like me with Bristol...too far :frown:

Just outside of Southampton so it's about 3 hours to Bristol, y tu?

I have some friends who go to Sheffield, so if I can't go and visit i'll just question them all about it

:smile:
Reply 385
Original post by such_a_lady
Pssht, I'm applying for St A's which is 8.5 hours away :colone:

A majority of the universities I'm looking at are about 6-8 hours away so location isn't really a problem :redface:
Original post by lilGem
Just outside of Southampton so it's about 3 hours to Bristol, y tu?

I have some friends who go to Sheffield, so if I can't go and visit i'll just question them all about it

:smile:

Ahh :/ Well doesnt southampton have a good languages uni? :smile:
I live in york so......
Ooh cool! what courses do they do?
Original post by lilGem
A majority of the universities I'm looking at are about 6-8 hours away so location isn't really a problem :redface:

Location for me isnt too much of a problem but the unis ive chosen are all places ive been before (bar a couple) and most of them are nearish (like 2-3hrs) so i can go home....
Reply 388
Location for me isnt too much of a problem but the unis ive chosen are all places ive been before (bar a couple) and most of them are nearish (like 2-3hrs) so i can go home....

Likewise bar the distance for 3 of my possibilities, I wish deciding universities was easier
Reply 389
Ahh :/ Well doesnt southampton have a good languages uni? :smile:
I live in york so......
Ooh cool! what courses do they do?

It does, but I wouldn't like to go to a university so close
they are doing psychology, biochem and history so bit of a variation :smile:
I seem to be pretty late to this party: I'm applying to St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and I'm doing Spanish with some form of Politics or International Relations. St Andrews would let me keep up my French too though :smile:
Reply 391
Hey, I'm not an applicant but if anyone's got any questions about languages and/or Sheffield, give me a shout! Just saw someone saying they don't like Sheffield as a city, boooo. It's a great city :biggrin:... some bits are pretty and it's very student-friendly.

Good luck everyone!
What have all you Spanish people written for your PS? I'm really struggling with this :\ I've written about the books that I like and have read, but am certainly not at all interested in literature. What have you all written about?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sarawrr
Hey, I'm not an applicant but if anyone's got any questions about languages and/or Sheffield, give me a shout! Just saw someone saying they don't like Sheffield as a city, boooo. It's a great city :biggrin:... some bits are pretty and it's very student-friendly.

Good luck everyone!

Hi,
Do you know anything about studying german at sheffield? What sort of content it has?
Im thinking of doing maths with german so it would only be a minor but i cant seem to find out much about the course that i understand!!!!! haha :/
If you know anything about maths or german much appreciated :biggrin:
Are you at sheffield?
Original post by lilGem
It does, but I wouldn't like to go to a university so close
they are doing psychology, biochem and history so bit of a variation :smile:

Yeah same about york :/
Ooh cool :biggrin:
I was just wondering if any of them were doing maths and/or german/languages....
Reply 395
Hi,
Do you know anything about studying german at sheffield? What sort of content it has?
Im thinking of doing maths with german so it would only be a minor but i cant seem to find out much about the course that i understand!!!!! haha :/
If you know anything about maths or german much appreciated :biggrin:
Are you at sheffield?

Yes I am indeed at Sheffield!

I don't know an awful lot about it but I have a couple of friends who do it. It sounds quite interesting - I think you read and write about a play and in second semester one of my friends was writing an essay about a famous German film. I'm a bit useless so can't actually remember what it was, but it was about a guy who went to war and came back to see his family had grown up.

Apparently the German department's reasonably sized but not too big, meaning it's really friendly. And the society seems really popular as well.

Do you know how many credits you do? Because if you do more than 40, you can pick another module in it. I don't know all of them but you can do Dutch and this year you can also do Luxembourgish :biggrin:.
10?? Ive been to 1 so far!!! haha :/ But am going to lancaster in august then the rest are in september/october. :smile:
They must be getting sick of it! haha :tongue:
It is a great shame yeah because it looks very good but im still unsure if im going to do german even though i really enjoy it but I might just do Maths with a year abroad...
Ermmm Sheffield, Leicester and Lancaster (obviously!!) Then theres about 10 more including Heriot Watt, Royal Holloway, Leeds, Birmingham, Liverpool..... :biggrin:
What about you?

Ah cool :biggrin:
So far I'm in love with Oxford, Nottingham, UCL and Bristol- I just love the course modules and the campuses :biggrin: 3 left to visit, but I've incorporated the visits into our family holiday so it shouldn't be too many long journeys :smile:
I did AQA English Language A :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sarawrr
Yes I am indeed at Sheffield!

I don't know an awful lot about it but I have a couple of friends who do it. It sounds quite interesting - I think you read and write about a play and in second semester one of my friends was writing an essay about a famous German film. I'm a bit useless so can't actually remember what it was, but it was about a guy who went to war and came back to see his family had grown up.

Apparently the German department's reasonably sized but not too big, meaning it's really friendly. And the society seems really popular as well.

Do you know how many credits you do? Because if you do more than 40, you can pick another module in it. I don't know all of them but you can do Dutch and this year you can also do Luxembourgish :biggrin:.

Ah cool thank you very much :biggrin: I went to the sheffiled open day and it seems really nice - modern, well located, good transport links... :smile: I went to the languages talk too and the german lecturer seems quite a character!!! haha
Do you know if any of them are on here? They dont do it with maths by any chance do they?

No i dont sorry :/ But i think its 2/3, 1/3 so i dont think it'll be any more than 40...
Luxembourgish has an amazing name!!!!!
So far I'm in love with Oxford, Nottingham, UCL and Bristol- I just love the course modules and the campuses :biggrin: 3 left to visit, but I've incorporated the visits into our family holiday so it shouldn't be too many long journeys :smile:

Ooh very nice. Im not looking at any of them! haha :/
I need to look at the course contents in detail now...that'll probably narrow down my options lots!! Im not too keep on literature, it takes me forever to read one page (25 mins today :frown: ) Ooh very clever!! Where are they? :smile:
Ahh I did B...what did you do in A?

Me too! Wasn't the exam paper good? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending