The Student Room Group

Language applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Banoffeepie16
Thank you both of you, this is what I was looking for! +rep all round :biggrin:

Most of the videos I was finding weren't long enough/bad enough :L

Any idea where the original for the Pauline Marois video is?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3500u_pauline-marois-parle-tres-mal-angla_news found it!
Original post by Lewis :D
If you google 'Pauline Marois english' the video comes up on google, but when you click on it it says it's been deleted :/
There's tonnes of parodies though like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9pbzh04wEc&feature=related

It's well known she hated English-speakers, she once said all the English speakers of Quebec should be drowned :lol:, sorry for not being too helpful!

Found it http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3500u_pauline-marois-parle-tres-mal-angla_news :smile:

It's so funny :giggle:

You were very helpful thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Lewis :D
If you google 'Pauline Marois english' the video comes up on google, but when you click on it it says it's been deleted :/
There's tonnes of parodies though like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9pbzh04wEc&feature=related

It's well known she hated English-speakers, she once said all the English speakers of Quebec should be drowned :lol:, sorry for not being too helpful!

That parody is hilarious.:rofl:

Oh, I found a more complete video HERE, but they talk over some parts of it.
EDIT: Ah, you both got there before me!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dusty12
That parody is hilarious.:rofl:

Oh, I found a more complete video HERE, but they talk over some parts of it.
EDIT: Ah, you both got there before me!

The parody is hilarious. 'Merci! ...Mercy!'
They're between 1,000-1,800 words, they only accept under 2,000 words- luckily mine are just under!

1,000 - 1,800 words in French/Spanish?!
I've written around 700, the website states "All candidates must submit one piece of marked classwork (normally a few hundred words in length) written in each language which you plan to study" so I hope it's sufficient
Original post by Deceiver
1,000 - 1,800 words in French/Spanish?!

Yep ... I couldn't use the original essays I wanted to use because they were too long :colondollar: :emo:

...It's what I do :love:
Original post by ispyjonnytriff
I've written around 700, the website states "All candidates must submit one piece of marked classwork (normally a few hundred words in length) written in each language which you plan to study" so I hope it's sufficient

Of course that would be sufficient :smile:
My German essay I'm planning to submit is around 800 words, based on the film we've been studying and the social influences that inspired the director.
My English essay I'm submitting is around 1200 words, a standard literature one comparing some poems.

Dreading the entrance exam on Wednesday, as much as I love German, the grammar always finds a way to get me, just hope I've done enough preparation.

Good luck to everyone else who's doing entrance exams! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ambontoast

Dreading the entrance exam on Wednesday, as much as I love German, the grammar always finds a way to get me, just hope I've done enough preparation.

Good luck to everyone else who's doing entrance exams! :biggrin:

Good Luck to everyone from me too :smile:

I'll be sitting there chanting German prepositions case by case
Original post by ispyjonnytriff
I'll be sitting there chanting German prepositions case by case

Haha! Same here!
Original post by ambontoast
Haha! Same here!

I do that in my head when I'm trying to work out what case it makes the next thing in the sentense. Aus, ausser, bei mit nach, von zu, seit gegenueber (von) all take dative...
Yep ... I couldn't use the original essays I wanted to use because they were too long :colondollar: :emo:

...It's what I do :love:

Fair enough, although I couldn't imagine myself writing that much without it being littered with mistakes... might as well give up the Cambridge application now :tongue:
Fair enough, although I couldn't imagine myself writing that much without it being littered with mistakes... might as well give up the Cambridge application now :tongue:

Same, or atleast not that much on a single question! Usually my essays are between 250-400 words, depending how carried away I get. I've had some german stuff to do over half term. I've completed 3 questions and done bits of the remaining 6. I've written nearly 1600 words...
How are people revising for MLAT?
I may have left a bit too late...
Original post by .snowflake.
Same, or atleast not that much on a single question! Usually my essays are between 250-400 words, depending how carried away I get. I've had some german stuff to do over half term. I've completed 3 questions and done bits of the remaining 6. I've written nearly 1600 words...

I think the most I've done outside of an exam is probably just over 2 and a half pages, whatever that equates to in words (given my average-sized handwriting).

Remember, quality over quantity :wink:.
I think the most I've done outside of an exam is probably just over 2 and a half pages, whatever that equates to in words (given my average-sized handwriting).

Remember, quality over quantity :wink:.

these Q's ive had to answr, i'm writing EVERYTHING that i can possibly say about them. So when my brain derps out on my in the speaking, I can still come up with a reasonably long answer.
Reply 1597
This stuff about essay lengths is actually terrifying. I'm an EU applicant post- results and the essay lengths in foreign languages required as part of school work were 90 word opinion pieces for French and something like 150 words for Spanish. I kid you not. I feel so screwed right now.

No yours will be great! :smile:

I'm just a little crazy :tongue:
Reply 1599
Original post by lk2011
This stuff about essay lengths is actually terrifying. I'm an EU applicant post- results and the essay lengths in foreign languages required as part of school work were 90 word opinion pieces for French and something like 150 words for Spanish. I kid you not. I feel so screwed right now.

I know exactly how you feel!

I'm a Canadian applicant, and for French, all we had to do were 250-word creative responses (e.g. Write an editorial about Paris Plage, or write a letter to a friend convincing him/her the benefits of cycling to school, etc.) We've NEVER had to write French essays in class!

Thankfully, I'm writing my IB extended essay in French, which is a 3600 word paper. I'll be sending that off to Cambridge, because that's the one and only essay I've ever written in French, even though it's way over the limit!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending