The Student Room Group
City campus, Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow Caledonian University

What is Glasgow Caledonian really like?

Hi :smile: I'm currently in my last year of school and won't be going to uni untill 2012. My first choice of University is Glasgow Caledonain and i would love to know what the campus is really like or any information that could help me when making my choice up on uni's. I wil be applying for Human Nutrition And Dietetics and would love to know what it's like in that department! Please reply would be a great help :biggrin: !!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scottishgal
Hi :smile: I'm currently in my last year of school and won't be going to uni untill 2012. My first choice of University is Glasgow Caledonain and i would love to know what the campus is really like or any information that could help me when making my choice up on uni's. I wil be applying for Human Nutrition And Dietetics and would love to know what it's like in that department! Please reply would be a great help :biggrin: !!

Hey :biggrin: I don't go there or live in glasgow, but I think Glasgow Caledonian is one of my choices! I want to study Occupational therapy for 2012 entry :smile:! x
City campus, Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow Caledonian University
I'm not at Glasgow Cali, nor have I saw the campus, so really I'm going to be no help whatsoever in answering your questions.. but still, saw this and realised thats the same course I planned on applying to for 2012. Can I ask what your results were? I'm curious to see what other people who are applying at the same time are sitting on xx
Reply 3
Hi! I'm not going to Cali but I've been on campus several times in the last few months. Its really nice and airy and modern if that helps. And all of the buildings are pretty nearby eachother (its a fairly small campus when compared to somewhere like Glasgow Uni) so you won't have to worry about getting about!

And the campus is right in the middle of Glasgow centre , just like Strathclyde is , so you'll be really handy for everything =)
Reply 4
Hey, im going to Cally aswell, what course are you doing?
Reply 5
Okay, I'm off to cale next month and went to a campus tour last weekend - which was my first time seeing the uni!

It is the smallest of the three uni's in Glasgow, it's very modern but has fantastic facilities. It's got about 17,000 students...

Has a place called the 'saltire centre' which is the library which HUGE amounts of study areas, on about five different floors? Lots of little coffee shops and cafes however there is NO student union....i get the impression cale students head to the strathclyde campus for events...

Accommodation in Caledonian Court is great...i haven't had a chance to see IN the rooms, but the outside of them, the buildings, are like a little village..v safe, look great...no parking areas though - don't take your car!

To get from uni to CC, you literally cross the road and walk about 100metres and you're there...same to get to the bus stop, turn right out of halls and walk about 100metres, then right, and you're there. Great if you want to grab a megabus home after a lecture!!

I get the impression cale is looked down on by the other uni's...it's only 18 years old so has mixed opinions...but i'm really excited to go there, it's within walking distance of everything you'll need, bus station, train station, the huge cinema, all the shops are within ten minutes of walking! I'm looking forward to not having to work out the bus system! :P

The underground system is really easy to understand and there's a stop just up from the uni on Cowcadden's Road. The campus is really well signposted - you won't get lost, everyone is really friendly - you'll love it!

Good luck with the next year :smile:
Reply 6
The location of the campus is probably it's main attraction for me. I'm studying Social Sciences starting in September and staying off campus in unite accommodation so it would be good to know some people before freshers.
Reply 7
As a current physiotherapy studenf going into my 3rd year at Calley, I can give you a decent idea of what you're getting yourself into at GCU.

Sounds like most of you have picked degrees that are part of the School of Health and Social Care, and to be completely honest this is probably the most highly-touted of the university's departments gaining high recognition throughout the UK for their teaching style and overall end product in terms of student success.

Anyways... enough of the business side of things, being in the city centre is great and even if you wanted to be part of the west end scene or catch up with people in the west end you're either a 15/20 minutes walk or 5 minute subway/taxi from hillhead station and ashton lane/byres road.

As one of you mentioned already, it's a very easy to navigate, compact campus but doesn't have a Union as such on it's own campus. For the last two years that I've been at the university Walkabout next to the Cineworld in the city centre has been our"union" and have had a deal with them to get better drink promos especially on Wednesday nights after the sports teams have played and everyone's coming back into town for a night out.

As for accomodation, my first year I actually stayed at Victoria Halls just another block or so up the hill from calley court. Depending on what you're looking for this is another really good option for at least the first year of Uni.

If you want to know anything else here, let me know... feel free to get in touch with me by private message as well if you have any specific questions or concerns.

Good Luck, and Enjoy!
Reply 8
Hi, subscribing to this thread, thinking of applying here next year!!!
Reply 9
Hey guys :biggrin: Thank you all so much it's a great help to hear from people who have actually spent some time on the campus which is what i really wanted to hear about! I am actually from irvine so i will be planning on getting the train upto glasgow or a bus...i've been told the bus station is quite close to the campus? The campus sounds lovely and it's good to know that all the buidings are close by each other! I don't think i will be staying in the campus halls as i live so close to it but i'm not decided yet but probs not but maybe in the future years there i might lol. The fact that the campus does not have a student union....is that a really bad factor??
I am applying for Human Nutrition And Dietetics 2012 :smile: My results were okay this year but i only done three highers and two int 2. My higher results were French= C, Maths= C (but i have B's in my prelim results so i am hoping for an apeal to a B....fingers crossed) and Home Economics= A. My int twos were Biology= B and English= A. This year i'm studying another three higher: English, Biology and Chemistry! I will have a hard year to make sure i get at least B's in them and especially Chemistry as Iam crash highering it.....yes i know i'm crazy but It's a must for the course i want to apply for haha! Will probably be investing in a Chemistry tutour if i can find a cheap one as i will be needing them a lot haha! x
Reply 10
Original post by kirstymcmanus
I'm not at Glasgow Cali, nor have I saw the campus, so really I'm going to be no help whatsoever in answering your questions.. but still, saw this and realised thats the same course I planned on applying to for 2012. Can I ask what your results were? I'm curious to see what other people who are applying at the same time are sitting on xx

Hey :smile: It's good to know that someone else is applying for the same course :smile: noone else in my school is haha so i can't talk about it to anyone! I have posted my results already....how did you do ?xx
Reply 11
Original post by Umer786
Hey, im going to Cally aswell, what course are you doing?

I am applying for Human Nutrition And Dietetics 2012 :smile:!
Well, I got AAABB (maths, modern, art, english, graphics), and was planning on doing AH maths and modern, plus H computing and business this year. I had the problem though that I have no science, but I emailed the Uni and they said if i applied i may be given the opportunity to take part in summer school!
Reply 13
That's god then :smile: well done, those results were really good! I looked at the course and the first year seems a lot of science so thats good they are giving you a summer school to go to x
Reply 14
* good lol
Reply 15
That summer school sounds pretty interesting :smile: is that only because you are not doing any science or can you apply to take art in it or what :O ?? thanks x
Reply 16
*part
I start Glasgow Caledonian University on Monday and I'm going to study Business. Noticed that a few of you's were discussing the summer school that Caley provide. I did have to do a summer school to get into my course, it was in maths and basically I had to do a full years worth of maths stuff in like a month! It's so hard, the campus and everything was brilliant and that's why I'm so glad I'm going there. It's situated perfectly in Glasgow. Just be prepared to work hard at the Summer School! Because the better you do, the easier it is to get into the University. For example, I had to attend and complete the summer school course and get two B's in my Highers. I achieved 93% at summer school, but only got 4 C's. They still accepted me, so it did make a big difference. Best of luck to you all!
Reply 18
Thank youu :smile: Do you know how you can apply for summer school ? I need a backup incase i don't do as expected in chem :frown:
Reply 19
I forgot to say iam now doing voluntary work within my school helping with younger pupils! I have also had a visit up to a dietician ward and doing another soon and now have organised a weeks experience in a hospital with the diet chef and up on wards aswell. Do you think having all that and maybe not the best academic grades (minimum requirement) would still get you in ???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending