The Student Room Group

Glasgow Caledonian uni optometry

So I'm planning to go to Glasgow Caledonian University to study optometry and I'm currently in s6 but the only issue is that I have not taken physics.

I was previously told that physics was not necessary and that it is just recommended but I wanted to know if anyone has been accepted into Glasgow Caledonian uni without nat 5 or higher physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sam0674e45
So I'm planning to go to Glasgow Caledonian University to study optometry and I'm currently in s6 but the only issue is that I have not taken physics.

I was previously told that physics was not necessary and that it is just recommended but I wanted to know if anyone has been accepted into Glasgow Caledonian uni without nat 5 or higher physics

Have you taken a look at their course requirements? It might be worth contacting the uni directly so you know before open days/ making your choices :smile:
Reply 2

Hey, I am also going to apply to optometry and i am in 6th year as well, this may not be as helpful but my school did advise me to take nat 5/ physics as optometry is quite maths/ physics heavy, but it is only recommend and not mandatory so i’m sure you’ll be alright, i was just wondering if you managed to get any work shadowing/experience for your ps as i have been really struggling to get any.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by alisha_266
Hey, I am also going to apply to optometry and i am in 6th year as well, this may not be as helpful but my school did advise me to take nat 5/ physics as optometry is quite maths/ physics heavy, but it is only recommend and not mandatory so i’m sure you’ll be alright, i was just wondering if you managed to get any work shadowing/experience for your ps as i have been really struggling to get any.

Hi, I didn’t realise getting work exp/shadowing was a struggle for others! I’ve been calling so many places but haven’t heard back or they say they don’t do it :/
Reply 4
Original post by alisha_266

i have not got any work experience except for a few volunteering jobs which is so annoying cuz i was looking to shadow but its a huge struggle ;(
Reply 5
i have not got any work experience except for a few volunteering jobs which is so annoying cuz i was looking to shadow but its a huge struggle ;(

I managed to shadow at a specsavers for about 2 hours which isn’t a lot but it was the minimum any opticians was willing to do. Keep phoning/ emailing every optician tbh. Also I’m not doing higher physics anymore lol it was too much so i really hope GCU doesn’t want applicants to have either nat 5 or higher 😬
Reply 6
Which specsavers did you go to? i have been phoning so many opticians but none of them would agree :frown:. Also did you take nat 5 physics? I was gonna take higher but i honestly cannot handle a headache that big lol.
Reply 7
Which specsavers did you go to? i have been phoning so many opticians but none of them would agree :frown:. Also did you take nat 5 physics? I was gonna take higher but i honestly cannot handle a headache that big lol.

It was Specsavers Newlands (in Shawlands area) send an enquiry form on their website instead of phoning bcos it goes straight to the manager and they’ll get back to u via email. I didn’t take nat 5 physics no,I took higher human bio and Chemistry from sciences last year.
Reply 8
Original post by Dawudk
Hi, I didn’t realise getting work exp/shadowing was a struggle for others! I’ve been calling so many places but haven’t heard back or they say they don’t do it :/

I have had this problem as well! I think covid hasn't helped...
Reply 9
Has anyone had an offer yet?
Reply 10
Original post by Alex67895

nope, i'm desperate to find out, i wonder why it's taking so long lol
Original post by Alex67895

Yes I got a conditional for A in higher chemistry
Reply 12
Original post by Sharon67
Yes I got a conditional for A in higher chemistry

Congratulations!
Has anyone else heard back that's applied in late December. I'm getting worried since I've still not heard back and it's April! 😭😭
Original post by Karasevda
Has anyone else heard back that's applied in late December. I'm getting worried since I've still not heard back and it's April! 😭😭

I applied in early November and I’ve not heard anything, it’s so bad like they said they would get back to us by March 31st
Original post by kezzagla1
I applied in early November and I’ve not heard anything, it’s so bad like they said they would get back to us by March 31st

Ugh idk what's taking them so long hopefully we can get in tho!! 😭😭🤞🏻. Only people I know have heard back are people that applied in October idk anyone else that has....
Ugh idk what's taking them so long hopefully we can get in tho!! 😭😭🤞🏻. Only people I know have heard back are people that applied in October idk anyone else that has....

I’m very worried, why wouldn’t they send the decisions out over a few days, not like a month apart 🥲
Original post by kezzagla1
I’m very worried, why wouldn’t they send the decisions out over a few days, not like a month apart 🥲

Yeah I wonder when everyone will be getting replies back... 😕

I applied at the start of December and have still heard nothing either😕 Worried since its my first choice!
Original post by hollyglover06
I applied at the start of December and have still heard nothing either😕 Worried since its my first choice!

I'm thinking maybe they don't reply during the Easter break? Hopefully we can all get offers in the coming week or weeks 😭

Quick Reply

Latest