The Student Room Group

Megathread of Hollyoaks

Scroll to see replies

A while ago in R.E my teacher was talking about his experiences with pupils being bullied. And it was really eye opening. He was saying that the thing about bullying is it's hard to prove what is actually going on. The person who's being bullied will have one side and the others will deny it. Then he was saying that when the parents get involved the parents will obviously side with their kids and say their child is not bully. He even said one time a pupils parents said the girl who was allegedly getting bullied should be able to take a joke from time to time...

I also remember him saying it's hard to pin point what bullying actually is. What really interested me was when he said he often saw people pushing people on the corridors... He went on to say that although this is wrong, there is nothing he can do about it as the older pupils will push the young ones on the corridor due to lack of space and what not. Therefore he can't just make claims that the pupils are getting bullied...

Just like in Hollyoaks he said that the school often doesn't want to get involved they just want to the situation to be brushed under the carpet. He told us a story of when this older boy was picking on the younger boy and he saw it. My teacher told him to stop but he didn't so as the older boy walked away after he'd pushed the younger boy, my teacher went to the older boy and said, if you want to push someone around why don't you push me around?

Of course he could have lost his job for talking to a pupil this way. But my teacher said it himself that bullying policies are just there for the sake of it. And in reality it's so hard to actually solve bullying. You have to change people's mindsets which can't be done through people getting a "talk" or being "excluded".

All this time Esther was being bullied... Yet people like Tilly and George just laughed along instead of acknowledging how hurt Esther was. The school simply disregarded her and the policy for there for the sake of it. And Frankie and Jack never listened to Esther and just believed Ruby, never once have they sat down with her and talked to her and specifically asked her what was happening.

Esther confided in many people and they all knew... Jen knew yet just said things like "it'll be okay" "take a stand". A teacher should take more drastic measures. The headmaster knew but basically said "this is what you get for telling the police". The whole of the sixth formers knew yet they all just sided with Maddie and made it out like a joke. It's too late now to go and visit Esther in the hospital, where were they when she needed them? Phoebe knew... And although she did stick up for Esther. I think her character best represents the whole situation. There was nothing Phoebe could really do, she stuck up for Esther whenever she could. But she was never around that much. Even so, I think Phoebe could have told the teachers however I think it's portrayed later that even if the school do know they don't do anything which is exactly what Phoebe thought. The only other adult that knew was Maxine and she basically told Esther to "reinvent herself" which is basically shifting the blame onto her for being herself and making her thinking if she changes she won't get bullied.

I think in order for the bullying to have stopped Esther would have needed someone from the group like Tilly or George or someone to take a stand. Then Maddie may have listened because she'd have no friends left. Initially this is what I thought would happen and how it would all be resolved to some extent. Of course even in reality it's highly unlikely members of the group would speak up instead they'd just join in.
Anyone else wondering where's Callum in all of this?
Original post by Stray_talk
Anyone else wondering where's Callum in all of this?

Good point! I forgot all about him! If Callum was here he'd most definitely side with Phoebe. The last time I remember seeing him was when he was helping find Charlie.

As a previous poster mentioned... It's weird how Nancy and Darren aren't involved in this. The last time we saw them was when Myra was having her party.

:s-smilie:
GO TEAM PHOEBE! :adore:

jen and the head should both be fired man, they're both just annoying and stupid.
yeah get callum in, remember him cussing maddie off not too long ago.
I don't get what's going on with Will. His character has completely changed and now he seems to like Texas, but what about Ash? Before they used to have a really good friendship... Now there are hardly any scenes where they're together. I think the writers should have made it so Will and Ash get together. Rather than this storyline.

Also, half the sixth formers have left. And the University students are no where to be seen... Apart from the odd useless scene here and there.
Reply 986
Actually don't think this is a spoiler, but just in case ...

Spoiler

Reply 987
Original post by conway!
Actually don't think this is a spoiler, but just in case ...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 988
Original post by Crazy Paving
GO TEAM PHOEBE! :adore:

jen and the head should both be fired man, they're both just annoying and stupid.

Why did Phoebe freak out so much over Dr Browning's boss? am I missing something aha?!
Original post by erniiee
Why did Phoebe freak out so much over Dr Browning's boss? am I missing something aha?!

Hollyoaks has been building up for ages that Phoebe has some sort of 'secret'. Ever since the scene were Phoebe and George were kidnapped by them two people it was always hinted that it had happened before to Phoebe. She always used to make small comments like "I'm used to this".

Anyway. The most recent scene was when she told Lacey she didn't lose her virginity someone took her virginity by forcing her. All this happened whilst she was living on the streets - This scene was massively underrated and Hollyoaks didn't seem to make a big deal out of it. It seemed weird that Phoebe would tell Lacey first when the two of them aren't really that close.

Now we've found out that one of the guys, maybe there was one or maybe more... I'm not too sure. But now we've found it its Dr Brownings boss.
I'm happy Walkers back! :smile:

Hopefully, he'll add some twists and turns to Hollyoaks. Because it really does need them!

The Esther storyline is good, don't get me wrong. I just hate seeing Sinead and Ruby. It wasn't long ago Tilly and George were pretty close with them, now it's weird that the two of them are like "Maddie bullied you". Well if they are saying this now, why didn't they say it before? Why did they let it go on?

Ruby has always been evil. But I can remember beforehand Sinead wasn't so bad. But now her character over time has just changed.

The Mercedes storyline is pretty boring. I really don't care if she sleeps with Dr Brownings boss or not.

Hollyoaks likes to slip in random useless storylines like Cheryl and Leanne doing some sort of butler service. Honestly, who cares? Cheryls storylines seem to revolve around Brenden nowadays, I think she needs something much more.
Original post by >Username<
Hollyoaks has been building up for ages that Phoebe has some sort of 'secret'. Ever since the scene were Phoebe and George were kidnapped by them two people it was always hinted that it had happened before to Phoebe. She always used to make small comments like "I'm used to this".

Anyway. The most recent scene was when she told Lacey she didn't lose her virginity someone took her virginity by forcing her. All this happened whilst she was living on the streets - This scene was massively underrated and Hollyoaks didn't seem to make a big deal out of it. It seemed weird that Phoebe would tell Lacey first when the two of them aren't really that close.

Now we've found out that one of the guys, maybe there was one or maybe more... I'm not too sure. But now we've found it its Dr Brownings boss.

Really? I though that the "secret" was that people who kidnapped her were forcing them into prostitution and whilst Geogre escaped , Phoebe was forced. That would fit with Browning's boss who said he paid for it. Then the secret is she hasn't told anyone. I guess we will find out next week.

Looks like there is an end in sight to the bullying storyline

Spoiler

Reply 992

Ah I see, thanks for that. I wasn't watching when they were kidnapped, had to take a hollyoaks break :lol: what happened?
Original post by elitepower

Looks like there is an end in sight to the bullying storyline

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by erniiee

I dunno! i only started rewatching pretty recently, just to see the bullying storyline outcome. :colonhash: he probs touched her or something.

OH yeah i vaguely remember this
So glad the head got fired, annoying ****.
So glad the head got fired, annoying ****.

Bit anti-climactic though, no?
I felt like it "just happened".. :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Stray_talk
Bit anti-climactic though, no?
I felt like it "just happened".. :s-smilie:

hes a pointless character though :dontknow:
Reply 998
I don't get what's going on with Will. His character has completely changed and now he seems to like Texas, but what about Ash? Before they used to have a really good friendship... Now there are hardly any scenes where they're together. I think the writers should have made it so Will and Ash get together. Rather than this storyline.

Also, half the sixth formers have left. And the University students are no where to be seen... Apart from the odd useless scene here and there.

I think will's turning in2 a psycho and I absolutely h8 sinead nd ruby
I wish esther gets revenge on the 6th formers...
Reply 999
hes a pointless character though :dontknow:

Yea he is so pointless, and a nob. :lol: I hope Tilly gets revenge on Jen, she was dread to her! Comeuppance for her, and asap please..

In other news, apparently there's going to be drama for the McQueen family? Anyone seen the trailer?

Quick Reply

Latest