The Student Room Group

studying law/leqal executives/ ilex course

I'm going into year 11 next year and was looking at college courses for when i've left.
i was originally planning to do a levels then go on to do law at uni, but i know it's a long process and i'd end up in so much debt.

I came across the ilex course, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it, for experiences or whatever, because that website only really shows what they want people to know.
can i go straight on to doing this course at 16 when i leave school?

I read that legal executives don't get payed anywhere near the amount solicitors do, is this true?

also could anyone give me a rough idea of how much the course would cost for the whole 4 years, including books,membership and exams

and just anything else you think i should know about law in general
:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by ChloeKathryn

I read that legal executives don't get payed anywhere near the amount solicitors do, is this true?

I do not know an extensive amount about ILEX and legal executives, but what I do know is that they are incredibly well paid. The difference is negligible.
Legal executives do not get paid as much as solicitors do in the overwhelming majority of cases.

You also need to be over 25 to go down the ilex route, if I recall correctly.
I would think it would be free/very cheap for the first 2 years and then costs would increase once you become 19. I will look into this as I would also like to study law but am looking for alternatives if university becomes out of the equation :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Legal executives do not get paid as much as solicitors do in the overwhelming majority of cases.

You also need to be over 25 to go down the ilex route, if I recall correctly.

hmm, really? i didn't see anything about this on the website? :/
Reply 5
Original post by ChloeKathryn
hmm, really? i didn't see anything about this on the website? :/

I'm pretty sure that you don't pay anything, and normally all your fees get covered by your employer.

The Law Society has an ILEX rep full-time now - some baldy northern guy, you could ask there or by asking ILEX for an info pack - and no doubt they're well represented at law fairs.
Reply 6
The pay difference would seem to be negligible. At the solicitor's firm I did work experience at, the solicitors earned only 13% more. Best not just go into a job for the money though eh? It's not the path to happiness.
Reply 7
Depends what sort of law you're looking for. At the low end, high street and regional end of the market, the difference isn't absolutely huge, because there's not room for a huge difference- a solicitor might earn 35k whereas an LE might earn 30k.

The real difference is in opportunity at the mid and top levels- large commercial practices dealing with international matters simply don't look at legal executives, and that's where the real money is in law. If you want to earn over 70k, ILEX will rarely be the way for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending