The Student Room Group

career switch

my life passion has always been engineering. however i received my first a level report, i’m a month into them, and i got A in english, B in physics, and C in computer science, i feel a little demotivated. i have always liked the look of law. by the time i get to Year 13, i would like to then maybe consider pursuing law instead of engineering, which’ll hurt a little but it would be something to consider for then. anybody have any input for this?
Original post by ilovecats1969
my life passion has always been engineering. however i received my first a level report, i’m a month into them, and i got A in english, B in physics, and C in computer science, i feel a little demotivated. i have always liked the look of law. by the time i get to Year 13, i would like to then maybe consider pursuing law instead of engineering, which’ll hurt a little but it would be something to consider for then. anybody have any input for this?

Hi there

Sorry to hear that you are demotivated after you a level report. Please do not be too discouraged by them. You have only just started A levels, and there is plenty of time to catch up. From my experience, there is still a good chance of improving your grades so you can apply for engineering.

If engineering is the course you want to do, keep trying for it and do not give up. By the end of year 12, I was consistently getting grades Ds and Cs. However, for the final Year 13 exams I was able to achieve As. I found that this was common in my class, as A levels are a massive jump from GCSEs, so take your time to adjust.

Although I did not take the same subjects as you, what I really found helpful was asking for teachers' feedback and areas I can improve on for essay questions. (As the marking scheme may not be that clear). Past paper questions should be really good for physics. Try the questions, then mark them yourself. The important part though is to reflect on the mistakes- see where the calculations have gone wrong and understand the steps to working it out correctly. If the mark scheme does not make sense, always go to your teachers for feedback. Keep the past papers on file, and keep going over them (especially before exams).

There is plenty of time to improve, please do not be discouraged by small set backs. :smile: I echo the advice above that you could always go through clearing (which have lower grade requirements) or do a foundation year.

Good luck! :smile:
I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

Sorry to hear that you are demotivated after you a level report. Please do not be too discouraged by them. You have only just started A levels, and there is plenty of time to catch up. From my experience, there is still a good chance of improving your grades so you can apply for engineering.

If engineering is the course you want to do, keep trying for it and do not give up. By the end of year 12, I was consistently getting grades Ds and Cs. However, for the final Year 13 exams I was able to achieve As. I found that this was common in my class, as A levels are a massive jump from GCSEs, so take your time to adjust.

Although I did not take the same subjects as you, what I really found helpful was asking for teachers' feedback and areas I can improve on for essay questions. (As the marking scheme may not be that clear). Past paper questions should be really good for physics. Try the questions, then mark them yourself. The important part though is to reflect on the mistakes- see where the calculations have gone wrong and understand the steps to working it out correctly. If the mark scheme does not make sense, always go to your teachers for feedback. Keep the past papers on file, and keep going over them (especially before exams).

There is plenty of time to improve, please do not be discouraged by small set backs. :smile: I echo the advice above that you could always go through clearing (which have lower grade requirements) or do a foundation year.

Good luck! :smile:
I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

thank you so so much for this, i really appreciate it! :smile:
Reply 3
my life passion has always been engineering. however i received my first a level report, i’m a month into them, and i got A in english, B in physics, and C in computer science, i feel a little demotivated.

Its a bit early to be going into a major panic about 'which career' when you are only a month into your A levels.

Adjusting from GCSE level to the extra level of work expected for A levels is a big jump and takes many people by surprise.
Go and talk to relevant teachers and ask for their help - that is what they are there for.

Btw. You can apply for Law with any A level subjects - you just need high grades.
But is really is far too early to be panicking about this
Reply 4

As previous people have said, A levels can take a while to get into, although not everyone will admit to it. However, just one thing, if you are keen on engineering, have you checked out the subject requirements (as Maths A level may well be asked for)? Aside from that, it's worth bearing in mind that law degree entry requirements are high and in many cases will be higher than for engineering, so prospective law applicants need to be really keen and motivated. There is an enormous range of engineering courses and a vast range of jobs, here and in other countries, and if you are keen, you should certainly go for your passion.
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
Its a bit early to be going into a major panic about 'which career' when you are only a month into your A levels.

Adjusting from GCSE level to the extra level of work expected for A levels is a big jump and takes many people by surprise.
Go and talk to relevant teachers and ask for their help - that is what they are there for.

Btw. You can apply for Law with any A level subjects - you just need high grades.
But is really is far too early to be panicking about this

thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by Lilyanne2
As previous people have said, A levels can take a while to get into, although not everyone will admit to it. However, just one thing, if you are keen on engineering, have you checked out the subject requirements (as Maths A level may well be asked for)? Aside from that, it's worth bearing in mind that law degree entry requirements are high and in many cases will be higher than for engineering, so prospective law applicants need to be really keen and motivated. There is an enormous range of engineering courses and a vast range of jobs, here and in other countries, and if you are keen, you should certainly go for your passion.

i was one grade off the requirement grade to take a level maths, i think i would’ve struggled with it anyway. plus i got told by my sixth form that if i wanted to do engineering, not having a level maths would close most doors. my essay based subjects were the ones i got 8/9’s in for gcse, that’s why i feel i might be better of with going down a law route!
Reply 7
i was one grade off the requirement grade to take a level maths, i think i would’ve struggled with it anyway. plus i got told by my sixth form that if i wanted to do engineering, not having a level maths would close most doors. my essay based subjects were the ones i got 8/9’s in for gcse, that’s why i feel i might be better of with going down a law route!

Some universities offer foundation courses for prospective engineers - I'm not too sure on the finance side of things (it might add an extra year to the degree course) - so it still could be absolutely possible to do engineering but of course it might depend on whether maths is your 'thing;. People do develop different skills over the years, however, and it might be that you enter engineering in the future (nowadays people often radically change their careers a few times in their working life), or, for instance, you might take a year (or even two) out, get a job and take maths A level in your own time, then apply for university later. Depending on your circumstances, you haven't necessarily got to do things in the conventional way. You might also like to investigate if any apprenticeships exist that could appeal (this could be in anything from motor mechanics and practical/creative areas that might suit your engineering brain, to legal executive and solicitor).

Quick Reply

Latest