The Student Room Group

Become a solicitor and accountant?

For my own experience and to have a unique portfolio I want to take both the GDL (and LPC) then go on to complete the CIMA. I would prefer CIMA as it seems much more practical to running and planning a business compared to the ACA. I believe I have the knowledge and skills to easily gain both and both will be very relevant to my future goals.

Is this a wise idea and what’s the best way to achieve it? Ideally the quickest, according to my calculations I will be 25 by time this is complete following the standard timelines. I will also be graduating with a BSc in Economics
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I can’t think of any good reason for doing this in this way. Why would you want to?
Have you got the money to do all the professional qualifications?
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
I can’t think of any good reason for doing this in this way. Why would you want to?

I believe it would put me in a great position to become a company executive, chief executive even. With financial and legal knowledge, along with power that solicitors and accounts have, to run a company very effectively
Reply 4
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Have you got the money to do all the professional qualifications?

Yep
Reply 5
Original post by 3121
I believe it would put me in a great position to become a company executive, chief executive even. With financial and legal knowledge, along with power that solicitors and accounts have, to run a company very effectively

How many chief executives do you know that have done this?
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
How many chief executives do you know that have done this?

None! But how many chiefs have the same background? It’s about having unique strength and offering.
Reply 7
Original post by 3121
None! But how many chiefs have the same background? It’s about having unique strength and offering.

In terms of experiences and how they've worked themselves up through companies and sectors... You'll find they're all pretty similar in their own ways.

That none of them have done this route should tell you something.
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
In terms of experiences and how they've worked themselves up through companies and sectors... You'll find they're all pretty similar in their own ways.

That none of them have done this route should tell you something.

Hmmm you’re right. I’ll stick to just CIMA, seems the most beneficial in terms of knowledge that can actually be applied for the day to day work
Original post by 3121

Solicitors don't make good CEOs. They are great at law, less good with people in general.
Reply 10
I work with lawyers and accountants. The lawyers are much better with people than the accountants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending