The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex 2012 Applicant's Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jess Holly
I've applied and a couple of friends have too, and none of us got acknowledgements. Don't think they do them. It's epic getting an offer out of the blue though :smile:

Why did you guys pick Sussex? I haven't actually visited it, haven't had the chance.

I just a received an offer from them an hour ago to study biology! They never did send me an acknowledgment though...
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 381
I've applied and a couple of friends have too, and none of us got acknowledgements. Don't think they do them. It's epic getting an offer out of the blue though :smile:

Why did you guys pick Sussex? I haven't actually visited it, haven't had the chance.

Oh thanks for that :smile: yeah the thought of getting an offer without the confirmation of them even receiving your application must be exciting, but this wait is nervewracking D;

I honestly can't give a specific reason as to why I picked sussex. I didn't visit any of the universities I've applied to actually :tongue: I wanna do Computer Science with a foundation year & there aren't that many [good] uni's that do it, and Sussex is a top uni so i thought why not :')

Why did you pick Sussex?
Reply 382

I picked Sussex (for geography) for several reasons. The uni itself has a green campus and a really nice setting, and the proximity to Brighton is ace as you can party if you want to, or just have a quiet night in if you feel like it.

It has been rising up the league tables too, and is definately in the top 15 in the UK, making it a great place to obtain a degree from. It just has a generally friednly feel, strong academics and a great location. Perfect in my eyes :smile:
Reply 383
Original post by swbp
I picked Sussex (for geography) for several reasons. The uni itself has a green campus and a really nice setting, and the proximity to Brighton is ace as you can party if you want to, or just have a quiet night in if you feel like it.

It has been rising up the league tables too, and is definately in the top 15 in the UK, making it a great place to obtain a degree from. It just has a generally friednly feel, strong academics and a great location. Perfect in my eyes :smile:

But, ultimately, boring.
Reply 384
I got an offer from Sussex 2 weeks after sending the application form off :smile:
Unconditional AAA :smile:
Reply 385
Original post by braiiins

Original post by braiiins
But, ultimately, boring.

I'm a little confused, what bit is boring?
Original post by Saz00
I got an offer from Sussex 2 weeks after sending the application form off :smile:
Unconditional AAA :smile:

I'm guessing you already have your grades? :smile: Congratulations!
Original post by lizzxo
Oh thanks for that :smile: yeah the thought of getting an offer without the confirmation of them even receiving your application must be exciting, but this wait is nervewracking D;

I honestly can't give a specific reason as to why I picked sussex. I didn't visit any of the universities I've applied to actually :tongue: I wanna do Computer Science with a foundation year & there aren't that many [good] uni's that do it, and Sussex is a top uni so i thought why not :')

Why did you pick Sussex?

They got it Monday, right? You've probably got a pretty long wait ahead :L it bloody scared me not having an acknowledgement, and they took 3 weeks or so to get back to me, for Psychology at least.

Sussex is the only uni i haven't visited! My cousin's been there for two years and he really loves it. I mainly picked it as an insurance, not gonna lie, due to the general studies thing. It's really good for Psychology and it looked a pretty nice place on the website, so I figured i'd be quite happy ending up there.

Original post by swbp

What's the social side of the actual uni like?
Reply 388

[QUOTE=What's the social side of the actual uni like?

I know that there are over a hundred societies, and that with Brighton on the doorstep your sure to have great places to gather. Apparently places like east Slope have parties which the whole campus can just turn up at, and honestly when you look at the top 20 unis, i'm pretty sure none are as fun or sociable as sussex can be.
I think I'm going to have Sussex as my insurance for Biology :smile: either that or UCL (I'm still waiting to hear from them)
Reply 390
Original post by mintaltoids
I'm guessing you already have your grades? :smile: Congratulations!

Well, I'm predicted AAA, but in AS I got AABB, and an A in EPQ .. so hopefully, I get one of the B's up to an A this year :smile:
Hey guys, just curious, what have you heard about Sussex or its reputation that made you apply in the first place? It seems to have a very undercurrent sort of prestige.
Reply 392
Original post by partickler

Hey guys, just curious, what have you heard about Sussex or its reputation that made you apply in the first place? It seems to have a very undercurrent sort of prestige.

People often forget this, but the university is very prestigious. The guardian ranked it 11th in the UK this year, and it's one of only 15 uni's to have ranked in every top 20 this academic year, so it's a strong institution.
Got offer from Sussex ages ago, according to rankings it looks pretty good, but its not the type of uni that will impress people..

or is it? :smile:
Reply 394
Original post by TheButcherBoii

Got offer from Sussex ages ago, according to rankings it looks pretty good, but its not the type of uni that will impress people..

or is it? :smile:

I see completely where you're coming from; even though it's ranked well it doesn't spring to mind when you hink "top university". The bottom line is it's a top 20 institution with great courses and career prospects; if you want to impress people by all means go to Durham or Oxbridge, but seriously if you're only choosing your uni to impress people you're being a tad foolish.
Original post by swbp
I see completely where you're coming from; even though it's ranked well it doesn't spring to mind when you hink "top university". The bottom line is it's a top 20 institution with great courses and career prospects; if you want to impress people by all means go to Durham or Oxbridge, but seriously if you're only choosing your uni to impress people you're being a tad foolish.

Oh no, I am not trying to pick a uni by that...
I wanted to apply for Oxford but dropped it and tried Durham...
Are u applying to Sussex?
Oh no, I am not trying to pick a uni by that...
I wanted to apply for Oxford but dropped it and tried Durham...
Are u applying to Sussex?

I do understand what you mean by 'impress people'. There exists a certain type in this world that divides higher education into 'top universities' vs. everything else. Plus, it takes some effort to really understand the merits of excellent but quiet universities. Many will not bother to go through the effort, however small it is.

I'm afraid this might cause problems for me in the future because I am applying for financial aid from my own country. Ignorance of quality HE is unimaginable here, so pure 'name' will really give me a boost. I think this mindset does exist in the UK even if to a lesser extent?
I do understand what you mean by 'impress people'. There exists a certain type in this world that divides higher education into 'top universities' vs. everything else. Plus, it takes some effort to really understand the merits of excellent but quiet universities. Many will not bother to go through the effort, however small it is.

I'm afraid this might cause problems for me in the future because I am applying for financial aid from my own country. Ignorance of quality HE is unimaginable here, so pure 'name' will really give me a boost. I think this mindset does exist in the UK even if to a lesser extent?

Hmm...yes, I would say so..
You have the top; Oxbridge and then the likes of the London ones + Durham and then possibly Bristol too, and yea, then comes the rest and the ****ty ones at the end...there still can be good ones such as Glasgow ( I personally don't know why people say that it's a good university, according to rankings, it's decent = OK).
Got into Sussex but the offer wasn't quite what I was expecting they seem to have dismissed one of my A levels but hopefully once that's cleared up I'll be up for going there!
I go to sussex uni and what I would say is that you shouldn't disregard somewhere because of the accommodation! I applied for the en-suite rooms such as Swanborough and Northfield and I ended up in Park Houses (which was my 8th choice out of 10!). When I arrived I was adamant to put my name on the swap list, but now I've lived in it for a few months I absolutely love where I live. I wouldn't swap for nicer accommodation now if you paid me.
Lots of my friends live in East Slope, and they were all apprehensive about living there but now it's grown on them so much they wouldn't move out. Ok, it's not ideal in terms of hygiene but you've got to remember that Swanborough can get dirty too if people don't clean it!

I've found that if you want 1st year to be a sociable year, it's better not to have ensuite because if you have one you don't really need to come out of your room.

Also you're only there for a year... the course/location is so much more important than what halls you could be living in!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending