The Student Room Group

Dance and Trance Music Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1160
thePhantom
lol - i was putting my opinions on dance music down in here, to no avail ... basically let the majority of people chat about dance music in this thread, its always gonna revolve around commercial music when you've got the masses on this forum, if anyone cares about their own underground tastes, then go and talk to your mates, meet people in proper clubs, chat on specific forums ...

I'd actually like us to be able to discuss all dance music here instead of restricting ourselves to the very tip of the dance iceberg - the tip that is the Rapture TV and MTV Dance video playlists. As i implied in my last post, there's so much out there so why let the commercial world of dance be your only outlet for discovering and listening to music? I'm not saying people shouldn't listen to cheesey/eurodance/pop style dance music - i even like a bit of it myself now and again - but only listening to that type of music is, to me, a tragically narrow approach to a genre that is diverse in the extreme.
Reply 1161
I don't have digital or sky etc so have never watched those. Also I hear what you're saying but I listen to other types of dance music too. Just because I don't do the hard stuff and d'n'b etc doesn't mean that I am a commercial r-e-t-a-r-d, because I'm far from that.
I have an unsigned dnb tune named after me :biggrin:
Reply 1163
Elements
I don't have digital or sky etc so have never watched those. Also I hear what you're saying but I listen to other types of dance music too. Just because I don't do the hard stuff and d'n'b etc doesn't mean that I am a commercial r-e-t-a-r-d, because I'm far from that.

I'm not saying you have to like "the hard stuff" or DnB. That's my point - there's loads of stuff out there other than the house and eurodance pop music they churn out for these Clubland and MoS compliations.

And I used Rapture and MTV Dance as a example to represent the commercial music I'm talking about. Whether you personally have seen them or not, they are very good example of how the commercial world dictates some people's "understanding" of music. As if the dance music on Rapture or the dance music sold in HMV or the dance music complied onto compliations by the fat cats at AATW (who themselves have their own tastes and money-making agenda) is the only music that exists. There are other ways. I'm not saying this necessarily applies to you, Elements - I don't really know you as a person so I have no means or right to say it does apply to you. It's just a general observation i've made from viewing the "what dance/trance are you listening to at the moment" topic. And I'm not calling people "r*t*rds". I just genuinely feel sorry for people who have their view of music restricted by the commercial world. It's sad, I think.

It's similar to the whole Radio 1/NME debate that all the rock and indie people seem to be constantly having. This fella summed my opinion up quite nicely in another topic about indie >

punkskamonkey

Dragging this vaguely on-topic, the problem isn't really the bands, its the public, the people who are happy to listen to the radio, and buy whatever they are claiming are the "next big thing" or is easy to listen to, and involves no actual input from the person.

These people aren't real music fans, real music fans find what they like, and then "research" and find new bands they like, etc. Your music taste constantly evolves (even only to small extents) and should be YOUR music taste, not whatever is pumped into your ears via the radio...

Swap the word "radio" for "dance compliation" or "Dance music TV station" and I agree with this 100% with regards dance music also.
Reply 1164
Phil_D
I'm not saying you have to like "the hard stuff" or DnB. That's my point - there's loads of stuff out there other than the house and eurodance pop music they churn out for these Clubland and MoS compliations.

And I used Rapture and MTV Dance as a example to represent the commercial music I'm talking about. Whether you personally have seen them or not, they are very good example of how the commercial world dictates some people's "understanding" of music. As if the dance music on Rapture or the dance music sold in HMV or the dance music complied onto compliations by the fat cats at AATW (who themselves have their own tastes and money-making agenda) is the only music that exists. There are other ways. I'm not saying this necessarily applies to you, Elements - I don't really know you as a person so I have no means or right to say it does apply to you. It's just a genernal observation i've made from viewing the "what dance/trance are you listening to at the moment" topic. And I'm not calling people "r*t*rds". I just genuinely feel sorry for people who have their view of music restricted by the commercial world. It's sad, I think.

It's similar to the whole Radio 1/NME debate that all the rock and indie people seem to be constantly having. This fella summed my opinion up quite nicely in another topic about indie >

Swap the word "radio" for "dance compliation" or "Dance music TV station" and I agree with this 100% with regards dance music also.

Yes I agree with that too.:smile:
Reply 1165
lets talk about how hard it is to find good house.
Yeah! But first: I always think of cheesy dance music as the sort of stuff you find on the Clubland Albums...

Now onto House...:biggrin:
Reply 1167
hey ther. I purchased a pair of cdjs 4 weeks ago been learning frm scratch an here is the longest mix yet ive come up wth. part funky n part deep house have a listen an tell me what u think. feedback wud b great. i know the beatmatching on 1 of the transitions half way thro really aint great but i sorta lost it at that point lol.
cheers
stream - http://www.mv2media2.com/process_stream.php?id=22089

or download - http://www.musicv2.com/download_cue.php?id=22089

:smile:
Reply 1168
sion1
hey ther. I purchased a pair of cdjs 4 weeks ago been learning frm scratch an here is the longest mix yet ive come up wth. part funky n part deep house have a listen an tell me what u think. feedback wud b great. i know the beatmatching on 1 of the transitions half way thro really aint great but i sorta lost it at that point lol.
cheers
stream - http://www.mv2media2.com/process_stream.php?id=22089

or download - http://www.musicv2.com/download_cue.php?id=22089

:smile:

you wana get some proper decks,

but,

mix was alright, mixes were slightly out. not many tunes played for 40 mins (5 i think?) dnb djs mix about 4 or 5 tunes on the opening 12 mins, and you mixed two! but thats cool, ya just starting out.
Reply 1169
DJDJ
you wana get some proper decks,

but,

mix was alright, mixes were slightly out. not many tunes played for 40 mins (5 i think?) dnb djs mix about 4 or 5 tunes on the opening 12 mins, and you mixed two! but thats cool, ya just starting out.

hahah ye its 7 tracks in all but as u said im only starting (3 or 4 weeks) n coz alot of the tunes have vocals im finding it hard to bring new tunes in way before the breakdown if u get me coz of all the clashing. only started using the eq's in the last week or so. cheers 4 listening tho mate:smile: i know the beatmatching is way out on the 4-5 tracks but i learn new something everytime. the mixing of track 1-2 is kinda screwed up a bit aswell i spose. sorta missed the mixing point i wanted
Reply 1170
sion1
hahah ye its 7 tracks in all but as u said im only starting (3 or 4 weeks) n coz alot of the tunes have vocals im finding it hard to bring new tunes in way before the breakdown if u get me coz of all the clashing. only started using the eq's in the last week or so. cheers 4 listening tho mate:smile: i know the beatmatching is way out on the 4-5 tracks but i learn new something everytime. the mixing of track 1-2 is kinda screwed up a bit aswell i spose. sorta missed the mixing point i wanted

Don't listen to DJDJ, mate. 1) CD decks are proper decks. We've had this argument already 2) you don't have to mix 4 or 5 tracks in the opening 12 minutes. Personally I think there's nothing worse than when a DJ drops a track and before you've even had time to ID it it's mixed into something else, especially if it's a particularly big track.
Reply 1171
^ i think 3 mins is long enough to id a track. 12 divided by 3 is 4, so 4 tracks in the first 12 mins, plenty of time. gota keep people interested, i'd get bored otherwise.
Reply 1172
DJDJ
^ i think 3 mins is long enough to id a track. 12 divided by 3 is 4, so 4 tracks in the first 12 mins, plenty of time. gota keep people interested, i'd get bored otherwise.

When I said "ID the track" I was just exaggerating (for effect). Personally, I think about 5 or 6 mins is fine. If a track is getting boring after 3 mins it's probably just not very good. Depends on the track obviously. But as I say, I hate it when DJs don't give you time to enjoy a good track. There are some great tracks out there that when dropped you wish they could go on forever.
Reply 1173
6 mins is way too much time, id have goten bored by then.
Reply 1174
Phil_D
When I said "ID the track" I was just exaggerating (for effect). Personally, I think about 5 or 6 mins is fine. If a track is getting boring after 3 mins it's just probably just not very good. Depends on the track obviously. But as I say, I hate it when DJs don't give you time to enjoy a good track. There are some great tracks out there that when dropped you wish they could go on forever.

i agree wth that. prog house mixes can go on 4 days an the tracks last for a good 6 mins each anyway. its all about long mixes wth prog which obviously is different frm dnb. Have to say tho i really dont like any dnb myself.
I've got some tracks on my MP3 which are about 7 mins!! I did have a track which was 10 mins but that was just tooo long!
Reply 1176
beach surf babe
I've got some tracks on my MP3 which are about 7 mins!! I did have a track which was 10 mins but that was just tooo long!

The longest track I have is 12 mins - think it's one of the mixes of Agnelli & Nelson - Hudson Street.
Reply 1177
Phil_D
The longest track I have is 12 mins - think it's one of the mixes of Agnelli & Nelson - Hudson Street.

yep got that 1. longest track ive got is Estuera- tales from the south and the eric prydz remix of paolo mojo -1983. both over 12mins
But are they worth being 12 minutes or does it get a bit boring after a while?
Reply 1179
beach surf babe
But are they worth being 12 minutes or does it get a bit boring after a while?

No, not at all. Some tracks (especially prog tracks) work better being long as the beauty of the track is in the way it seamlessly builds from start to climax and then slowly builds down from climax to end. And there are some tracks, like Hudson Street, that are so phatt, so well produced that they could go on for 15 mintues and not get boring. It depends on the track obviously.

Quick Reply

Latest