The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Trevelyan 2020 Offer Holders

Hey, I haven't seen any threads for Trevs, I was allocated here but I originally applied for a college the complete opposite to this but I'm hoping everything will turn out fine-

I was wondering who else was allocated here, and what you plan to study?

University Course:
Is Durham your firm?:
Was it your preference?:
What do you like about Trevs:
If I was to be on the same floor as you, what should I expect:
Any societies you would join:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Course : Computer Science MEng
Firm: Yes hopefully, unless I like Edinburgh better
Preference: No I applied to South which is very different so I'm kind of nervous, I hope yall can keep a bathroom clean XD
Like: I really like the range of societies and also their menu currently looks nice!!
Same Floor: I am a cleaning machine when I want to be lol,, I also not a fan of messy environments. I'm a quiet one most of the time, but I love partying however I don't drink unless I am super tired and I need a boost haha. I also LOVE food. I'm not a noisy neighbour either =D
Societies: I don't know which ones I will stay in, but I want to try Hockey, Dance, Badminton and Art.

I hope to see some of you guys in Sep :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
University Course: MChem
Is Durham your firm?: Yes - just firmed it last week
Was it your preference?: No, but I visited it today and absolutely loved it
What do you like about Trevs: It had loads of societies & the accommodation looked really nice
If I was to be on the same floor as you, what should I expect: Haha not really too sure to be honest. I'm a bit of a night owl so maybe that?
Any societies you would join: Definitely dance (think that's only with the uni though?) and a musical theatre / acting society, and then I really want to try out cheer, netball and chamber choir to see which I want to prioritise. Think there's a chemistry society as well so I'll probably join that
(edited 4 years ago)
Course?: BSc Physics or MSc Physics & Astronomy (will decide in second year)

Is Durham my firm?: Yep and already firmed. I'm locked in since I already have my grades - see my previous post of the Durham 2020 thread - and my offer was unconditional. So 99.9% will be attending this year unless something really life changing happens.

Was Trevs my preference?: Yep, got super excited when I read my email.

What do I like about Trevs?: Haven't been there yet but I kept hearing great things about the friendly atmosphere and social interactions in the college and it's super close to all the science buildings. I'm visiting the college on residential offer holder day in march and staying overnight on the 23rd.

What should you expect if you were on the same floor as me: The sound of silence and the fleeting spurs of nature. Mainly since I'll probably be in the library or silently working at my desk most of the time. Hopefully that won't be entirely the case if people want to be friends with me.

Societies I would join: Most likely the Trevs gaming society.
Course: MPhys
Is Durham my firm: not definitely yet but I think it may end up being after I go to the visit day in March
Was it your preference?: yes, v happy to get in
What do you like about Trevs: it was friendly on the open day and is kinda quite small
If I was to be on the same floor as you, what should I expect: idek lol
Any societies you would join: I’m pretty musical so orchestras and stuff like that (I play viola)
Course : Nat Sci (Maths and Computer Science)
Firm: Yes
Preference: No I applied to St Chads which is kinda different
Like: I haven't visited it, but I have read about its friendliness and the fact that it is close to cs dept and maths dept
Same Floor: I'm a night owl. I can't wait to get to know everyone!
Societies: Probabily Badminton and hummus society :smile: . Idk, I am open to trying lots of new things!
University Course: computer science (seems common here)
Is Durham your firm?: Probably but we'll see after the open day thing
Was it your preference?: Yep but I put it down on a whim
What do you like about Trevs: seems friendly and different to other colleges
If I was to be on the same floor as you, what should I expect: idk dude i change a lot depending on the amount of sleep i get
Any societies you would join: i haven't researched much but i definitely want to join the (Durham) swim team, maybe netball?? idk i'll see when i get there.

Any one going to do the open day thing on the tuesday/wednesday?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
University Course: computer science (seems common here)
Is Durham your firm?: Probably but we'll see after the open day thing
Was it your preference?: Yep but I put it down on a whim
What do you like about Trevs: seems friendly and different to other colleges
If I was to be on the same floor as you, what should I expect: idk dude i change a lot depending on the amount of sleep i get
Any societies you would join: i haven't researched much but i definitely want to join the (Durham) swim team, maybe netball?? idk i'll see when i get there.

Any one going to do the open day thing on the tuesday/wednesday?

I'm going as a day visitor on the Tuesday :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by clarabethdammann
University Course: MChem
Is Durham your firm?: Yes - just firmed it last week
Was it your preference?: No, but I visited it today and absolutely loved it
What do you like about Trevs: It had loads of societies & the accommodation looked really nice
If I was to be on the same floor as you, what should I expect: Haha not really too sure to be honest. I'm a bit of a night owl so maybe that?
Any societies you would join: Definitely dance (think that's only with the uni though?) and a musical theatre / acting society, and then I really want to try out cheer, netball and chamber choir to see which I want to prioritise. Think there's a chemistry society as well so I'll probably join that

Ahh I haven't been on an visit day yet, I'm really worried because I want to like it but it's just so different from the one I originally applied to :/
Original post by mxxnal
Ahh I haven't been on an visit day yet, I'm really worried because I want to like it but it's just so different from the one I originally applied to :/

Which college did you originally apply to? I applied to St Mary's, which is pretty different (big & traditional) from Trevs, but I still really liked it.
Reply 10
Original post by clarabethdammann
Which college did you originally apply to? I applied to St Mary's, which is pretty different (big & traditional) from Trevs, but I still really liked it.

South College ; big, new and has ensuites and is self catered. So Trevs is very much the opposite 😔
Original post by mxxnal
South College ; big, new and has ensuites and is self catered. So Trevs is very much the opposite 😔

Ahh right. So, I wouldn’t worry too much about the size because you’ll still meet loads of people on your course and in any societies you join. They’ve recently revamped a lot of the accommodation. I was really surprised by how modern and nice it was - much nicer than it seemed in pictures online. As for it being fully catered, all I can say is that at least it’s just for one year? If you look at Trevs JCR website you can see their menu.
Has anyone seen the new accommodation?
Reply 13
Original post by jamesbonk
Has anyone seen the new accommodation?

I'm going to see Trevelyan on the March visit day :smile:
But I think some people above have already been.
Original post by mxxnal
I'm going to see Trevelyan on the March visit day :smile:
But I think some people above have already been.

oh cool which one? i might see you there
Reply 15
oh cool which one? i might see you there

Tuesday 24th as a Day Visitor :smile:
Anyone going to an overnight offer day in march?
University Course: BSc Psychology
Is Durham your firm?: I haven't firmed it yet as I'm still waiting to hear back from other unis, but it definitely will be.
Was it your preference?: I didn't have a preference but I feel like St Cuth's was what I was hoping for
What do you like about Trevs: I've heard its great socially and super friendly, and is really close to the science buildings.
If I was to be on the same floor as you, what should I expect: I'm not too loud but I do like a fun time :wink:
Any societies you would join: I actually don't know any of the societies? But I'd like to join clubs to meet more people
(edited 4 years ago)
I've just been allocated to Trev's and I am so disappointed that I don't even want to come to an offer day. It's everything I don't want, modern buildings, shared rooms, catered and a long way from the humanities buildings. Can anyone who has been there, tell me any positives?
I've just been allocated to Trev's and I am so disappointed that I don't even want to come to an offer day. It's everything I don't want, modern buildings, shared rooms, catered and a long way from the humanities buildings. Can anyone who has been there, tell me any positives?

Tbh I've never been, but haven't heard anything bad about trevs other than its location, and even then its only 10-15 mins from the centre. I thought the same thing when I got allocated as I had also been wanting an older building with history and character, but I think all of the positives I've heard really sell trevs to me. Every person I've ever heard talk about trevs says that it has some of the best social life from all of the colleges. Loads of events, a smaller size so everyone gets to know each other, and even though there are shared rooms which some people do love, you can put preferences that you never have to share. Yeah, there is catering, but only one college doesn't, and I have heard that the food at trevs is pretty good. The bar is supposed to be amazing, it has music festivals, themed trevs day each year, formal dinners with the gowns, balls etc. I think it would be a good idea for you to visit an open day, look at the rooms, talk to some of the people there and get a feel for the place. I'd love to come and visit too but unfortunately I'm in Italy so I won't get the chance, so I've been resorting to YouTube videos, but maybe try that too and see the place to have a look and see what you think.

Quick Reply

Latest