The Student Room Group

Dance and Trance Music Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Phil_D
No, not at all. Some tracks (especially prog tracks) work better being long as the beauty of the track is in the way it seamlessly builds from start to climax and then slowly builds down from climax to end. And there are some tracks, like Hudson Street, that are so phatt, so well produced that they could go on for 15 mintues and not get boring. It depends on the track obviously.

totally agree with that.prog is all about the build up. sashas albums are like 1 long track in a way as u dont really notice the switch of tracks n they jus flow seamlessly into each other. those tracks go on 4 agesssssssssssss but still grips u all the same. its all about the choice of tracks imo
Reply 1181
sion1
totally agree with that.prog is all about the build up. sashas albums are like 1 long track in a way as u dont really notice the switch of tracks n they jus flow seamlessly into each other. those tracks go on 4 agesssssssssssss but still grips u all the same. its all about the choice of tracks imo

Actually, techincally the longest track i've got is a track played by Armin Van Buuren in a special 3rd hour of one A State Of Trance episode. It was a one hour track by Ben Liebrand. To many, having a track that last for one hour might sound completely absurd but I thought it worked really well. Was progressive in the extreme obviously. :biggrin:
Reply 1182
Phil_D
Actually, techincally the longest track i've got is a track played by Armin Van Buuren in a special 3rd hour of one A State Of Trance episode. It was a one hour track by Ben Liebrand. To many, having a track that last for one hour might sound completely absurd but I thought it worked really well. Was progressive in the extreme obviously. :biggrin:

sounds gd mate. did u get a chance to listen 2 the mix i made or not? if u did be honest with me about what u thought
cheers:biggrin:
Reply 1183
sion1
i agree wth that. prog house mixes can go on 4 days an the tracks last for a good 6 mins each anyway. its all about long mixes wth prog which obviously is different frm dnb. Have to say tho i really dont like any dnb myself.

ey? other way round m8, short mixes with house, long mixes with dnb.
Reply 1184
Phil_D
No, not at all. Some tracks (especially prog tracks) work better being long as the beauty of the track is in the way it seamlessly builds from start to climax and then slowly builds down from climax to end. And there are some tracks, like Hudson Street, that are so phatt, so well produced that they could go on for 15 mintues and not get boring. It depends on the track obviously.

sorry, but in a club i would be bored stiffless listening to a track for 15 mins, only a **** dj would let a tune play for that long. house, doesn't really have much progression in it, only style i can think of that does is oldskool hardcore.
Reply 1185
DJDJ
sorry, but in a club i would be bored stiffless listening to a track for 15 mins, only a **** dj would let a tune play for that long. house, doesn't really have much progression in it, only style i can think of that does is oldskool hardcore.

u obv dont listen 2 much house then do u. ever come across prog house mate??? u ever heard of sasha digweed???????ur jus thinkin house = funky house. ther is all sorts of house music prog n deep happen to be my fave. some of sashas mixes go on 4 ageeeeeeesss an sound mint. i went 2 see danny howells carl cox oakie etc last week n they all played tunes 8min an over. u might find that boring but others dont. jus the way it is
Reply 1186
DJDJ

DJDJ - you listen Drum & Bass. Drum & Bass works differently to other types of dance music. Drum & Bass isn't about subtle progessions in tracks or gradual build ups. That's why you don't like progressive styles of house, hard house and trance. Each to their own. A Drum & Bass DJ that plays a track for more than 10 mins may be ****e in your eyes - but things work differently in other genres.

sion1
sounds gd mate. did u get a chance to listen 2 the mix i made or not? if u did be honest with me about what u thought
cheers:biggrin:

I'm a little busy moving my music collection onto a new 320 gig hard drive at the mo - I'll have a quick listen when I get chance.
Reply 1187
Phil_D
DJDJ - you listen Drum & Bass. Drum & Bass works differently to other types of dance music. Drum & Bass isn't about subtle progessions in tracks or gradual build ups. That's why you don't like progressive styles of house, hard house and trance. Each to their own. A Drum & Bass DJ that plays a track for more than 10 mins may be ****e in your eyes - but things work differently in other genres.

well said

I'm a little busy moving my music collection onto a new 320 gig hard drive at the mo - I'll have a quick listen when I get chance.

ye thats fine dw mate cheers
Reply 1188
*generalises furiously about how one genre's dad could totally beat up the other genre's dad*

:wink: :biggrin:
Reply 1189
sion1
u obv dont listen 2 much house then do u. ever come across prog house mate??? u ever heard of sasha digweed???????ur jus thinkin house = funky house. ther is all sorts of house music prog n deep happen to be my fave. some of sashas mixes go on 4 ageeeeeeesss an sound mint. i went 2 see danny howells carl cox oakie etc last week n they all played tunes 8min an over. u might find that boring but others dont. jus the way it is

i listen to chicago and deap house. i own chicago records that sell for £50 on the market.

electro, minimal, tech, deep, funky, soulful, chicago, piano and loads more, im not stupid m8, i know a lot about music.

and *******s they let the tune play for 8 mins, what a croak of ****. And what are you talking about mixes that go on for ages? are you talking about the actual mixing of two tunes? or his set.
Reply 1190
btw, i've said before that i mix a bit of house. i do know how to mix this genre, it aint hard, but two tracks in 12 mins is a joke, just put it down to the fact that you're starting out, and not that that is how house djs mix, coz thats not true in the slightest.
Reply 1191
DJDJ
i listen to chicago and deap house. i own chicago records that sell for £50 on the market.

electro, minimal, tech, deep, funky, soulful, chicago, piano and loads more, im not stupid m8, i know a lot about music.

and *******s they let the tune play for 8 mins, what a croak of ****. And what are you talking about mixes that go on for ages? are you talking about the actual mixing of two tunes? or his set.

the mixing of two songs in alot of prog house ive notice can go on an on. gradually building up not a straight swap over
Reply 1192
I'm starting a new hard dance mixes series, guys - It's called God's Record Box. I'm not going to set a limit on how many I'm going to do, all I will say is, there will be at least 15 and that either mix 5 or mix 10 will be a "Philie's Hard Dance Favourite's Edition". I'll do apporximately 1 mix every 6 months (it's digital mixing btw - on my laptop using a mixing prog - say what you like about that, i'm not interested), and each will sample the big tunes that have been doing it for me over that last 6 months. Each mix is one long file, will come with a tracklist and will be about 1 hour 10 to 1 hour 15. I wanted to do a hard dance series that was a bit more accessible to non-hard dance fans. Thus, I wanted it to showcase less hard house and more melodic, big riffed hard trance. That's not to say I won't throw in the odd housier track, maybe towards the end of a set, but the emphasis is melody.

If you want to "buy into" the series, either wack your e-mail down here or PM it. I'm going to build up a mailing list and e-mail you the download links whenever a new mix is ready and uploaded (free of charge, obviously). I thought the likes of Higgy might be interested.

Here's a few samples of a few tracks from the first mix as a little taster >

http://www.tidydigital.com/preview/DA004D/8712

http://www.tidydigital.com/preview/-/8706
Reply 1193
Finally boarding call for God's Record Box - your first stop for the best in melodic hard dance. Anyone else? I'm uploading the first mix soon.
Reply 1194
not my thing. do a deep/chicago house one and ill give it a listen.
Reply 1195
DJDJ
not my thing. do a deep/chicago house one and ill give it a listen.

No worries, mate. Wouldn't have expected a lot of interest from the Jungle massie, anyway. :wink:

Oh, and I may have 76 gig of music - but i have **** all in the way of deep or chicago house, i'm afraid.
sign me up! love my HardTrance
Reply 1197
supacook2k
sign me up! love my HardTrance

Yes, Sir!
E-mail addy? - You can PM me it if you don't want it post on the forum.
DJDJ
just put it down to the fact that you're starting out, and not that that is how house djs mix, coz thats not true in the slightest.

Couldn't say much about "deep/chicago house", but that's how pretty much all prog house DJs mix.

Has anyone had much experience with Ableton Live? I've been playing around with the demo version and it seems pretty solid.
Reply 1199
Can't beat some Makina and Italian :smile: See my playlist at www.pyru.info

Quick Reply

Latest