The Student Room Group

Is Government and Politics a good A Level?

Pretty much what the title says.
Is it respected by universities or considered a soft subject?
I'm thinking of doing that, as well as History, English Lit and Law.
Reply 1
Original post by EllieJelly96
Pretty much what the title says.
Is it respected by universities or considered a soft subject?
I'm thinking of doing that, as well as History, English Lit and Law.

A great subject if you enjoy it.

Goes well with History (or it did for me).

Softer than some e.g. History and English Lit.

I did History, Maths and Government and Politics at A2 and an AS in Spanish and am going to UCL to study Law.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
I ****ing hated it, personally. Far too much material to learn and only a small amount of what you learn comes up in the exam, and you basically just have to remember points and regurgitate them verbatim in the exam which I found incredibly tedious so I never did the work and got a D, leaving me with the bizarre final grades of A*/A/D. I did it alongside maths and economics. Some say it's soft, imo it's somewhere in the middle.
Some may say it is a 'soft' A-Level choice but nonetheless, it is respectable. Had a few friends that did Gov & Pols at AS and they said they enjoyed the course, but they didn't do too well which was either down to them not revising or the work itself. It'd be best to ask your Government & Politics A-Level teacher.
I have done my AS levels and have done government and politics.

I got a really really high A.

I don't think that it is boring at all, it blends really well with history but the thing is you have to ask yourself the question, "Do I like politics? Do I take an interest? Do I care to read what's going on in the world? Do I feel passionate about a party or some policies? Do I feel like watching PMQs in my own time?"

If you're like that, then you will be fine.

If you think it's all about memorising party policies then don't.
It's good with humanities and social sciences. I'm taking it next year with history, english lit and sociology because I feel that it is conducive to my overall love of history and will help me appreciate history more so by seeing a comparison throughout time (which is essentially what history is).

If you're interested, go for it.
Reply 6
I took it as an AS this year to go along side history. I wouldnt say it is a soft subject but obviously isnt as good as doing say maths.
Its important with this subject that you have an interest in what you're learning otherwise it can get a bit boring. I would suggest looking it up to see if the topics are of interest to you. Saying that i really enjoyed this year and ended up with an A although i did find Unit 1 more interesting than unit 2 :smile:
I don't think it is a soft subject at all. Go for it if you enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending