The Student Room Group

Politics or religious studies for A-level? Urgent!!

I think about it all day and i'm always stressed about it. I really can't decide. I want to take them both equally. I'm in year 11 and taking RS for GCSEs and predicted a 9. I've never taken politics, but take history and don't really like it and I'm not sure if I'll be good at politics because I'm not the best at remembering things. I'm not really interested in the news so don't know if I'll be able to keep up, but I would like to learn about it and really do want to take politics. The RS spec also sounds very interesting and I think I'd really enjoy the topics so I cannot decide. But the class for RS will also be smaller and I'm not sure I'll enjoy it if my class isn't interesting. I also don't have a good experience with the RS teacher. I'm taking English Literature and psychology for my other options. I'm taking all essay based subjects, but I'm also a very slow writer sometimes and this is particularly evident in my history exams. I've read every forum and post and article at this point and everybody says something different. Primarily, I want to do subject that will cause me the least amount of stress and I'll get the best grade, but I would also like to enjoy it. I know English and psychology will be a lot to take on, but I know I definitely want to do these. My school does AQA politics and WJEC Rs. Does anyone have any advice or anything to say about their experience? Honestly, is either one of them easier? Thank you x
(edited 1 year ago)
This is going to boil down to personal choice and nobody can make that for you. Whichever you take it is important you enjoy iy and achieve good grades. Taking either wont put you at a disadvantage as both are considered preferred subjects by universities.
Original post by swanseajack1
both are considered preferred subjects by universities.

Universities state quite clearly on each individual course page exactly which A level subjects are required for that specific course.

There are no universally preferred subjects unless you are applying to LSE.
The whole idea of 'facilitating' subjects was dumped by the Russell Group Unis several years ago,
Original post by McGinger
Universities state quite clearly on each individual course page exactly which A level subjects are required for that specific course.

There are no universally preferred subjects unless you are applying to LSE.
The whole idea of 'facilitating' subjects was dumped by the Russell Group Unis several years ago,

UCL use them as well as Sheffield

A Levels (including International A Levels)
Our entrance requirements are based on three A Levels. If you are studying more than three A Levels, we will consider your three highest grades. We will include any required or preferred subjects as appropriate. Any offer will only consist of three A Level grades.

You should offer at least two A Levels taken from the preferred A Level subjects list below. Your third A Level can be in any other subject. If you do not have two preferred subjects, please contact the admissions team to check if we can consider your application.

Preferred A Level subjects
A

Ancient History
Anthropology
Arabic
Archaeology
Art and Design
Art and Design: 3D Design
Art and Design: Art, Craft and Design
Art and Design: Critical and Contextual Studies
Art and Design: Fine Art
Art and Design: Graphic Communication
Art and Design: Graphic Design
Art and Design: Photography
Art and Design: Textiles
B

Bengali
Biblical Hebrew
Biology
Biology (Salters-Nuffield)
Biology (Human)
Biology B
Business
C

Cantonese
Chemistry
Chemistry (Nuffield)
Chemistry (Salters)
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Classical Greek
Computer Science
D

Drama (WJEC specification)
Drama and Theatre Studies
Dutch
E

Economics
Economics B
Economics and Business
Economics and Business Studies (Nuffield)
English Language
English Language and Literature
English Literature (specifications A or B where applicable)
Environmental Science
Environmental Studies
F

Film Studies
French
G

Geography A
Geography B
Geology
German
Government and Politics
Greek
Gujarati
H

Hindi
History
History of Art
History of Art and Design
I

Information and Communication Technology
Irish
Italian
J

Japanese
L

Latin
Law
M

Mathematics
Mathematics (MEI)
Further Mathematics
Pure Mathematics
Media Studies (2022 entry)
Modern Greek
Modern Hebrew
Moving Image Arts (CCEA specification)
Music
P

Panjabi
Persian
Philosophy
Physics
Physics (Advancing Physics)
Physics (Salters-Horners)
Polish
Politics
Portuguese
Psychology
Psychology A
Psychology B
R

Religious Studies
Russian
S

Sociology
Spanish
Statistics
T

Tamil
Turkish
U

Urdu
W

Welsh
Welsh (Second Language)
since u like them both equally, imo politics is more attractive
Original post by swanseajack1
UCL use them as well as Sheffield

A Levels (including International A Levels)
Our entrance requirements are based on three A Levels. If you are studying more than three A Levels, we will consider your three highest grades. We will include any required or preferred subjects as appropriate. Any offer will only consist of three A Level grades.

You should offer at least two A Levels taken from the preferred A Level subjects list below. Your third A Level can be in any other subject. If you do not have two preferred subjects, please contact the admissions team to check if we can consider your application.

Preferred A Level subjects
A

Ancient History
Anthropology
Arabic
Archaeology
Art and Design
Art and Design: 3D Design
Art and Design: Art, Craft and Design
Art and Design: Critical and Contextual Studies
Art and Design: Fine Art
Art and Design: Graphic Communication
Art and Design: Graphic Design
Art and Design: Photography
Art and Design: Textiles
B

Bengali
Biblical Hebrew
Biology
Biology (Salters-Nuffield)
Biology (Human)
Biology B
Business
C

Cantonese
Chemistry
Chemistry (Nuffield)
Chemistry (Salters)
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Classical Greek
Computer Science
D

Drama (WJEC specification)
Drama and Theatre Studies
Dutch
E

Economics
Economics B
Economics and Business
Economics and Business Studies (Nuffield)
English Language
English Language and Literature
English Literature (specifications A or B where applicable)
Environmental Science
Environmental Studies
F

Film Studies
French
G

Geography A
Geography B
Geology
German
Government and Politics
Greek
Gujarati
H

Hindi
History
History of Art
History of Art and Design
I

Information and Communication Technology
Irish
Italian
J

Japanese
L

Latin
Law
M

Mathematics
Mathematics (MEI)
Further Mathematics
Pure Mathematics
Media Studies (2022 entry)
Modern Greek
Modern Hebrew
Moving Image Arts (CCEA specification)
Music
P

Panjabi
Persian
Philosophy
Physics
Physics (Advancing Physics)
Physics (Salters-Horners)
Polish
Politics
Portuguese
Psychology
Psychology A
Psychology B
R

Religious Studies
Russian
S

Sociology
Spanish
Statistics
T

Tamil
Turkish
U

Urdu
W

Welsh
Welsh (Second Language)

The table below lists A Level subjects which develop the knowledge-based, theoretical and conceptual learning most relevant to courses at Sheffield. Some of our courses will require A Level students to present one or two A levels from this list. In these cases the requirement will be included in the relevant online prospectus entry.

Students studying the Advanced Diploma plus one A Level, the Welsh Baccalaureate plus two A Levels, or Level 3 BTECs with A Levels, are normally required to present A Level subjects from this list only.

A-G

G-T

Accounting Geology
Biology Government and Politics
Business Studies History
Classics Languages*
Chemistry Law
Computer Science Mathematics
Economics Music
English Language Philosophy
English Literature Physics
English Language and Literature (Combined) Psychology
Environmental Studies Religious Studies
Further Mathematics Sociology
Geography Theatre/Performance Studies (including Drama and Theatre Studies Combined)
My opinion on politics A level
It sucks
I went to the taster day and I hated it. There is no actually interesting topic. Like fascism and how it was a synthesis of worker's rights and ultranationalism.
Ironically History has more politics than Politics
Politics only focuses on the centre-left to centre-right, which might be relevant to 21st century, but is also BORING
Original post by stressedsstudent
I think about it all day and i'm always stressed. I really can't decide. I want to take them both equally. I'm in year 11 and taking RS for GCSEs and predicted a 9. I've never taken politics, but take history and don't really like it and I'm not sure if I'll be good at politics because I'm not the best at remembering things. I'm not really interested in the news so don't know if I'll be able to keep up, but I would like to learn about it and really do want to take politics. The RS spec also sounds very interesting and I think I'd really enjoy the topics so I cannot decide. But the class for RS will also be smaller and I'm not sure I'll enjoy it if my class isn't interesting. I also don't have a good experience with the RS teacher. I'm taking English Literature and psychology for my other options. I'm taking all essay based subjects, but I'm also a very slow writer sometimes and this is particularly evident in my history exams. I've read every forum and post and article at this point and everybody says something different. Primarily, I want to do subject that will cause me the least amount of stress and I'll get the best grade, but I would also like to enjoy it. I know English and psychology will be a lot to take on, but I know I definitely want to do these. My school does AQA politics and WJEC Rs. Does anyone have any advice or anything to say about their experience? Honestly, is either one of them easier? Thank you x

Hey I do RE Aqa and I really enjoy it and find it pretty easy. It’s for sure the easiest subject for me. I’ve missed quite a lot of RE lessons and my teachers love to get off topic all the time but beside all of that we’ve finished y12 content and have already started yr13 content. I really enjoy it as it’s very interesting and there’s a debate in like every other lesson so if you like debates you will probably like it. My class on the other hand is a little dead but if I would go back I would still pick RE and if you’re predicted a 9 then I’m sure you’ll do well. I can’t recommend it enough because it’s the only subject that gives me a peace of mind and doesn’t require much revising compared to my other subjects. For Alevel politics however, I’m not too sure how it is as I don’t do it. Hope that helped!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 16Stars
Hey I do RE Aqa and I really enjoy it and find it pretty easy. It’s for sure the easiest subject for me. I’ve missed quite a lot of RE lessons and my teachers love to get off topic all the time but beside all of that we’ve finished y12 content and have already started yr13 content. I really enjoy it as it’s very interesting and there’s a debate in like every other lesson so if you like debates you will probably like it. My class on the other hand is a little dead but if I would go back I would still pick RE and if you’re predicted a 9 then I’m sure you’ll do well. I can’t recommend it enough because it’s the only subject that gives me a peace of mind and doesn’t require much revising compared to my other subjects. For Alevel politics however, I’m not too sure how it is as I don’t do it. Hope that helped!

Thank you! This was a good perspective to see about rs! If I take it I hope WJEC is as good as AQA.
Reply 9
Original post by stressedsstudent
Thank you! This was a good perspective to see about rs! If I take it I hope WJEC is as good as AQA.

What did you choose?? I literally just read this and I am in the exact same situation as you. Which would you advise I really can't choose and I need to get my application in!! Thanks so much.

Quick Reply

Latest